SCOTUS Hobby Lobby News - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
Political Discussions Use this forum to discuss politics, religion, and other controversial subjects. Respect for your peers is mandatory.

SCOTUS Hobby Lobby News

Old 07-03-2014, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
SCOTUS Hobby Lobby News

Have ANYONE found ANY articles supporting the anti-HL position that do not resort to hyperbole, distortion of the facts, or outright lies to make their point?

I am looking for one to use as an example of good reporting, to show a friend that such a thing is possible.

Last edited by N_Jay; 07-03-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport, 1990 300E
Seek and you shall find, my friend.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/06/...-decision.html

Male conservative members of the media, as well as Republican men in office, decided to act like a bunch of adolescent jerks after SCOTUS made the announcement and released the decision. Instead of touting the decision in a respectful manner, many of the men resorted to female bashing, **** shaming and overall bad behavior. In doing so, they have once again proven that they’d rather alienate and offend large swaths of this country’s population rather than become a truly inclusive and compassionate political party.
Typical RWNJ behavior. This could be linked in the "Right Wing Racism" thread but I dump on you guys enough.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kluvsbenz View Post

Typical RWNJ behavior. This could be linked in the "Right Wing Racism" thread but I dump on you guys enough.
So your one and only example of "articles supporting the anti-HL position that do not resort to hyperbole, distortion of the facts, or outright lies to make their point" is actually just a bunch of tweets in effect saying "well they did it first"???

Really?

Well, I guess that answers my question, there is not a single article addressing the decision from the Anti-HL side that is without distortion.

Thanks K, I knew you would come through for us,
Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL

The owners of these two ‘closely held’ companies, Hobby Lobby and Conestoga, argued that they should not be required to offer contraceptives under their insurance plans due to religious objections.
The above statement is categorically false and exposes the article for what it really is, hyperbole.

The ruling will help the dems however as the ignorant liberal masses will be ginned up by such erroneous articles.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Still waiting????

If there is any honestly on the left, it should be easy to find an article supporting the anti-HL position that does not resort to hyperbole, distortion of the facts, or outright lies.

Maybe I am asking for too much?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
Have ANYONE found ANY articles supporting the anti-HL position that do not resort to hyperbole, distortion of the facts, or outright lies to make their point?

I am looking for one to use as an example of good reporting, to show a friend that such a thing is possible.
This is closest thing I have found. I think it is clear the writer's position is anti-HL, but he takes a very realistic approach to the issue.

http://theweek.com/article/index/264...-have-happened
Old 07-03-2014, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cal1 View Post
This is closest thing I have found. I think it is clear the writer's position is anti-HL, but he takes a very realistic approach to the issue.

http://theweek.com/article/index/264...-have-happened

That is closer than anything I have seen, but truly is not a Anti-HL article. It is more a pro-single payer article. (Or at least an anti-employer paid health insurance article)
Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
That is closer than anything I have seen, but truly is not a Anti-HL article. It is more a pro-single payer article. (Or at least an anti-employer paid health insurance article)
I agree. It is a bit of a stretch, but better than anything Kluvs will come up with.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree. It is a bit of a stretch, but better than anything Kluvs will come up with.

I am sure he can find better.

After all, he is motivated by the desire for his entire believe system not to show as nothing but fraud.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^Oh you silly kids. I give you a single scoop of ice cream, you complain about not getting a double scoop and sprinkles.

Ok, here's another article.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...lobby-decision

I guess quotes from a SC justice is hyperbole, etc.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
^^^Oh you silly kids. I give you a single scoop of ice cream, you complain about not getting a double scoop and sprinkles.

Wow, even Ginsberg could not avoid the hyperbole.

"The exemption sought by Hobby Lobby and Conestoga would…deny legions of women who do not hold their employers' beliefs access to contraceptive coverage"
And all she would have needed to do was add one little word in front of contraceptive. That would be "some." To say that Hobby Lobby sought to deny legions of women contraceptive coverage is a complete lie. First we are only talking about a very short list of contraceptives/abortion drugs and secondly, does Hobby Lobby really employ legions of women?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac

Yes, quotes from that delusional old bat are hyperbole. She should have retired 10 years ago...when she could eat her strained peas without assistance...and put together a coherent thought.

The first quote, alone, is stupidity. With 16 of 20 forms of contraceptives offered to Hobby Lobby employees, where do women lose their rights to contraception? Abortion is not contraception, it is ending a life.

Last edited by ScottW911; 07-03-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
One more thing regarding Hobby Lobby.

I have personally left two companies over the years because I objected to their ethics or should I say lack thereof. Does Hobby Lobby go out on the streets, grab women and force them to work for them or did these women accept employment at Hobby Lobby with their own free will? I would argue that virtually every labor position at Hobby Lobby is on an "at will basis". This means the employee can terminate their position at any time. Anyone with a serious objection to Hobby Lobby's position on abortion drugs should do the ethical thing and terminate their employment.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, even Ginsberg could not avoid the hyperbole.

And all she would have needed to do was add one little word in front of contraceptive. That would be "some." To say that Hobby Lobby sought to deny legions of women contraceptive coverage is a complete lie. First we are only talking about a very short list of contraceptives/abortion drugs and secondly, does Hobby Lobby really employ legions of women?
To clarify to our slower readers (or, those of you in the Poconos):
hy·per·bo·le

[hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA
noun Rhetoric . 1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

le·gion

[lee-juhn] Show IPA
noun 1. a division of the Roman army, usually comprising 3000 to 6000 soldiers.

2. a military or semimilitary unit.

3. the Legion. a. American Legion.

b. foreign legion ( def 2 ) .

4. any large group of armed men.

5. any great number of persons or things; multitude.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by ScottW911 View Post
To clarify to our slower readers (or, those of you in the Poconos):
hy·per·bo·le

[hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA
noun Rhetoric . 1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

le·gion

[lee-juhn] Show IPA
noun 1. a division of the Roman army, usually comprising 3000 to 6000 soldiers.

2. a military or semimilitary unit.

3. the Legion. a. American Legion.

b. foreign legion ( def 2 ) .

4. any large group of armed men.

5. any great number of persons or things; multitude.
Notice how I avoided exact numbers
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hyperbole #1
Ginsburg wrote that her five male colleagues, "in a decision of startling breadth," would allow corporations to opt out of almost any law that they find "incompatible with their sincerely held religious beliefs."
"The exemption sought by Hobby Lobby and Conestoga would…deny legions of women who do not hold their employers' beliefs access to contraceptive coverage"
"It bears note in this regard that the cost of an IUD is nearly equivalent to a month's full-time pay for workers earning the minimum wage."
(She kind of forgot that HL pays about $14)
"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."
(Seems she is extending the decision in ways that were specifically exempted.)

But at least they were quoting RBG's hyperbole and not making up their own like they did with the 401K article about HL.

Last edited by N_Jay; 07-04-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On this topic (as with almost every other) MJ has lost ALL credibility.

MJ's hot piece (I meant in-depth and honest reporting)
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...on-drug-makers

Forbes contributor, explaining what "Hypocrisy" is to MJ!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanelli...ndment-rights/

I also discount the credibility of any "news" outlet that quoted the MJ 401k article, as even idiot reports can fact check!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Hyperbole #1

"It bears note in this regard that the cost of an IUD is nearly equivalent to a month's full-time pay for workers earning the minimum wage."
(She kind of forgot that HL pays about $14)
I find it disturbing that a Supreme Court Justice is willing to engage in falsehoods and out and out lies. The statement above is well beyond hyperbole. It makes me suspicious that Ginsburg is willing to trump the law with political ideology and that is very disturbing.

I got this from Planned Parent Hood.

The IUD is the most inexpensive long-term and reversible form of birth control you can get. Unlike other forms of birth control, the IUD only costs money in the beginning. The cost for the medical exam, the IUD, the insertion of the IUD and follow-up visits to your health care provider can range from $500 to $900. That cost pays for protection that can last more than a decade.
http://plannedparenthood.tumblr.com/...es-an-iud-cost

I'm not sure if HL would pay for the exam and not the device or what. It has been said the HL pays twice minimum wage. Using minimum wage of $7.25, a worker who earns twice that number and averages 40 hours per week would gross $2,552. per month. I suspect Planned Parenthood would subsidize the cost of an IUD + exam for almost anyone.

More deception from Ginsburg, she says "an IUD is nearly equivalent to a month's full-time pay for workers earning the minimum wage" knowing full well that HL pays well above minimum wage.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
The Lunatic Left out in Full Force

Just had to share a few of these.

Squaw Warren ( I know, very insensitive of me.)

"Can't believe we live in a world where we'd even consider letting big corps deny women access to basic care based on vague moral objections."
http://twitchy.com/2014/06/30/heap-p...lobby-outcome/

Senator Kay Hagan

"In 2014, a woman’s right to contraception shouldn’t be up for debate. 99% of women will use contraception in their lives".
http://twitchy.com/2014/06/30/sen-ka...up-for-debate/

Rep. Jared Polis

"All 5 male justices voted to deny contraception, all 4 female justices voted to allow it #HobbyLobby If men could get pregnant..."
http://twitchy.com/2014/06/30/rep-ja...obby-decision/

4 female justices eh?

Sandra Fluke

Supreme Court rules that bosses can deny employees coverage of birth control.
http://twitchy.com/2014/06/30/cluele...obby-decision/
Old 07-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I really love this group. Every time kluless comes out with a "Ooo, gotcha now!", the thoughtful and well researched counterpoints enlighten all that will take the time to read the posts and links.

Thank you guys. Good work.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are there any other Libs here?
Klueless is doing such a poor job.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:15 PM

2003 S55
My cousin, who is openly gay, has been very vocal on FaceBook about how this decision will create a slippery slope which will allow businesses to begin descriminating against anyone they want. I reminded him that there already was an exemption in Obamacare which allowed other religions that don't believe in insurance (a type of gambling) to not participate, specifically the Amish and certain middle eastern religions. Strangely enough there doesn't seem to be much backlash against those religions for their exemptions, and in my cousin's case neither of those religions is very receptive to homosexuals which only exaggerates my confusion as to why he was so upset about the ruling.

The final point I'd like to make on this entire issue is the fact that there wouldn't have been a "slippery slope" if Obummercare didn't exist. It was started as a lie (began as a completely different bill in the House), it was passed via a rules slight of hand, it was sold to the public as a lie, and it continues to impress with its failure at every milestone.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 123Pokey321 View Post
My cousin, who is openly gay, has been very vocal on FaceBook about how this decision will create a slippery slope which will allow businesses to begin descriminating against anyone they want. I reminded him that there already was an exemption in Obamacare which allowed other religions that don't believe in insurance (a type of gambling) to not participate, specifically the Amish and certain middle eastern religions. Strangely enough there doesn't seem to be much backlash against those religions for their exemptions, and in my cousin's case neither of those religions is very receptive to homosexuals which only exaggerates my confusion as to why he was so upset about the ruling.

The final point I'd like to make on this entire issue is the fact that there wouldn't have been a "slippery slope" if Obummercare didn't exist. It was started as a lie (began as a completely different bill in the House), it was passed via a rules slight of hand, it was sold to the public as a lie, and it continues to impress with its failure at every milestone.

You, sir, Are a racist (and Bush did it!)
Old 07-06-2014, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ScottW911 View Post
Yes, quotes from that delusional old bat are hyperbole. She should have retired 10 years ago...when she could eat her strained peas without assistance...and put together a coherent thought.

The first quote, alone, is stupidity. With 16 of 20 forms of contraceptives offered to Hobby Lobby employees, where do women lose their rights to contraception? Abortion is not contraception, it is ending a life.
Nice. Your disrespect for a SC justice is pristine. Your favorite pasttime entails kicking old ladies out of your way. Take the CL off of class and we have you.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SCOTUS Hobby Lobby News

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: