why this life-long Republican hates Trump - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > General Forums > Off Topic > Political Discussions
why this life-long Republican hates Trump >

why this life-long Republican hates Trump

Political Discussions Use this forum to discuss politics, religion, and other controversial subjects. Respect for your peers is mandatory.

why this life-long Republican hates Trump

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 1,048
Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
why this life-long Republican hates Trump

Below is my work-in-progress list of things that I find wrong with Trump. As I have time, or recall other reasons to criticize him, or he does additional things I feel worthy of criticism, I’ll add additional posts. I started working on this more than a month ago, meaning to add reference links, but now find myself too busy to do that. I’ll provide links eventually as the Trump-lovers question specific parts of the material presented. I have decided to post this now in response to N_Jay’s question as to why anyone could possibly hate Trump.

I’m sure that PatrixUSA will at some point jump in here and accuse me of being biased, of “outcome determinative bias”, as if accusing me of such will make him appear unbiased, when actually he is just as biased as anyone here. To the extent that I let bias influence my interpretation of the world, please keep in mind that until 2016, I had voted Republican from top of ballot to bottom, in every election that I voted, which was every 2 years from 1980 on. So, any bias I had should have pre-disposed me to support him over Clinton, and to support him now. Instead, I voted Libertarian (more as a protest vote, as I didn’t care too much for Johnson/Weld), and I’ve reached the point where I don’t mind being called a Trump-hater. I like to think that I keep a pretty open mind, and evaluate evidence primarily on its merits, and that this open-mindedness is what allowed me to overcome my Republican bias to reach a point of Trump hate. I may be biased against Trump now, but my history (going from diehard Republican to Trump hater) suggests that I am indeed able to keep an open mind when interpreting news. That I don’t automatically accept whatever Fox or MSNBC or anyone else is saying. I wish that some of the Trump-lovers here wouldn’t blindly accept what Fox “News”, Breitbart, Drudge, etc. have to say.

Some of the reasons for my Trump-hate, not in order of importance:

1. Trump denies AGW (basically the thesis that humans are contributing significantly to global warming). Among actual climate scientists, about 95% agree with AGW.

2. Did not release his tax returns. This is made more galling because when Obama was President, Trump tweeted: "Why does Obama believe he shouldn't comply with record releases that his predecessors did of their own volition? Hiding something?" and "Why is @BarackObama spending millions to try and hide his records? He is the least transparent President--ever" --until Trump himself was elected, that is. Trump also isn’t afraid to say that Democrats that plead the 5th must be guilty. So, what is Trump guilty of when doesn’t release his tax returns, as every other President has for 40 years? The IRS has clearly said that Trump’s excuse that he couldn’t release the returns while under audit at the time (over 2 years ago now) was a lie; there is and was no such restriction.

3. Our President is on tape saying, before he ran for office, "And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything....Grab ’em by the p***y. You can do anything." Is that the sort of thing that makes you proud of our President? Would you want your pretty daughter to be alone in the same room with Trump?

4. Trump dodged the draft. Bad enough in itself and not exactly patriotic, but then he makes a huge issue out of the National Anthem. So, we are supposed to forgive Trump for dodging the draft, but he can’t forgive NFL players for staying in the locker room during the Anthem?

5. Trump dodged the draft, but said of Senator McCain “He’s not a war hero….I like people who weren’t captured.” And after the Parkland shooting, Trump said, “I really believe I’d run in there even if I didn’t have a weapon”. Right, Donald, you ran away from Vietnam, where you would have had plenty of weaponry, but you would have run weaponless into an active shooter situation at Parkland. Sure.

6. Trump said there were “some very fine people" on both sides at Charlottesville....even though one side was organized by the KKK and its ilk; I didn't know that "some very fine people" would show up to support an event organized by groups like that?

7. Going after Amazon because he doesn’t like the coverage he gets from the Washington Post. (The Post is owned by Jeff Bezos, CEO and largest shareholder of Amazon). And Trump is lying when he does go after Amazon, lying on multiple fronts: how much sales tax Amazon collects; taxpayer subsidies to the US Postal Service; and the profitability of the US Postal Service’s package delivery business.

8. Consistently fails to criticize Putin. Re the Russians invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea, Trump had this to say earlier this in June:
.
TRUMP: It's possible that we'll meet, yeah. And I thought -- you know, this all started because somebody -- one of you -- asked, "Should Putin be in the G7?" I said, no, he should be in the G8. A few years ago, Putin was in what was called the G8. I think it's better to have Russia in than to have Russia out, because just like North Korea, just like somebody else, it's much better if we get along with them than if we don't.

So it's possible. Just so you understand --

REPORTER: Is Crimea part of Russia? Do you --

TRUMP: No, no. President Obama lost Crimea, just so you understand. This was long before I got there. Just -- I want to make it so the fake news prints it properly. President Obama lost Crimea.

REPORTER: So it's his fault?

TRUMP: Wait, wait. That's his fault. Yeah, yeah, it's his fault. Yeah, it's his fault.

REPORTER: How is it not Putin's fault, sir?

TRUMP: The President -- just so you understand --

REPORTER: How is it not Putin's fault, sir? How is it not Putin's fault? He invaded them.

TRUMP: Because -- because Putin didn't respect President Obama. President Obama lost Crimea because President Putin didn't respect President Obama, didn't respect our country and didn't respect Ukraine. But President Obama, not Trump -- when it's my fault, I'll tell you. But President Obama gave away that. Now, President Obama, by not going across the red line in the sand that he drew -- I went across it with the 59 missile hits. But President Obama, when he didn't go across the red line, what he gave away, nobody even knows. But just to put it -- one more time, President Obama gave away Crimea. That should have never happened.



So, Trump is saying that because Obama appeared weak on Syria, Putin took Crimea? Yet at the same time, Trump is saying that Russia should be allowed to rejoin the G8? The West kicked Russia out of the G8 as one of the punishments for invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea, yet Trump wants to undo that punishment even though Russia has done nothing to reverse what it has done with Ukraine and Crimea? That makes Trump look weak, not strong, and might serve to give Putin the green light to invade other countries, such as the Baltics, and take and annex more of Ukraine.

9. Has proposed cutting legal immigration by over 40%. This is nonsense for a President who has also promised 4% GDP growth. Cutting total immigration hurts GDP growth, period. Cutting legal immigration is the result of 4th-grade level analysis: “Oh, if we legally let in another doctor, that will pressure the wages and hours/employment of American doctors, so that’s bad for America.” Wrong. That legal immigrant doctor will pay taxes, which is good for America. That legal immigrant doctor will need a place to live, which means he’ll need a house, or an apartment, which will increase demand, and therefore wages/hours/employment, for the carpenters, electricians, realtors, etc., anyone who is involved. He will have to heat his home, increasing demand for natural gas, and work for Americans in the natural gas supply chain. He’ll need to eat something, helping American farmers. He’ll shop at local retailers, increasing demand/wages/hours/employment for cashiers and other store employees. Maybe he’ll also shop online, increasing demand/wages/hours/employment for Amazon warehouse employees, UPS employees, etc. You get the idea.

In general, if you look at history, immigration has been a net positive for the economy. The unskilled, lower-paid immigrants are a net fiscal drain (paying less in taxes, but still needing government services), but looking at the totality of historical immigration, including the illegal portion and the (overlapping) unskilled/lower-paid segment, immigration has been a net positive for the economy. Now, one thing the administration gets right is to talk about tilting toward “merit-based” legal immigration. But it would be better for the country if we did that AND if the total number of immigrants were not cut drastically by Trump. It would be best for America if we combined a more merit-based legal immigration (proportionately less lower-skilled/lower-wage immigrants) with the same or even higher total numbers of immigrants, perhaps varying the total each year based on the state of the economy.

Last edited by syswei; 07-24-2018 at 01:16 PM.
syswei is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:53 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Das Geld 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,781
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
SL55, S500
Someone want to post the list of 100 important accomplishments and not the LGBTQ version of socially progressive objectives?
Stop voting with your feelings, you don't need to like the guy. He's hired to do a job, not have dinner with you. Every employee disagrees with their CEO actions time to time.

You listed your feelings instead of political alignments that benefits your views. Economy/ Safety/ Taxes/ Jobs and how they affect you and your family matter. Everything you listed has no effect on your LIFE! Wake up!!

1. Non-sense
2. Paid 29m that single year, they all shutup after.. none of your business
3. Non-sense
4.More irrelvant non-sense
5. Non-sense
6. Media Non-sense
7. USPS did it to themselves
8. Crimea belongs to Russia and their ally Ukraine, Ukraine is no longer their ally but run by the Mob, Gangsters, Terrorists. Putin saved alot of lives by saving the people in Crimea and taking it back.
9. You may have a point, but we're overpopulated as it is. The system is going to collapse.

I'm libertarian, 90% of what trump does is a WIN for me. I don't like Syria or Ukraine though and some other crap but it's overshadowed by all the other progress we've made.

Only a matter of time before the markets collapse on trump, guy is going to eat it big!

Last edited by Das Geld 2; 07-24-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Das Geld 2 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,163
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by syswei View Post
Below is my work-in-progress list of things that I find wrong with Trump. As I have time, or recall other reasons to criticize him, or he does additional things I feel worthy of criticism, I’ll add additional posts. I started working on this more than a month ago, meaning to add reference links, but now find myself too busy to do that. I’ll provide links eventually as the Trump-lovers question specific parts of the material presented. I have decided to post this now in response to N_Jay’s question as to why anyone could possibly hate Trump.

I’m sure that PatrixUSA will at some point jump in here and accuse me of being biased, of “outcome determinative bias”, as if accusing me of such will make him appear unbiased, when actually he is just as biased as anyone here. To the extent that I let bias influence my interpretation of the world, please keep in mind that until 2016, I had voted Republican from top of ballot to bottom, in every election that I voted, which was every 2 years from 1980 on. So, any bias I had should have pre-disposed me to support him over Clinton, and to support him now. Instead, I voted Libertarian (more as a protest vote, as I didn’t care too much for Johnson/Weld), and I’ve reached the point where I don’t mind being called a Trump-hater. I like to think that I keep a pretty open mind, and evaluate evidence primarily on its merits, and that this open-mindedness is what allowed me to overcome my Republican bias to reach a point of Trump hate. I may be biased against Trump now, but my history (going from diehard Republican to Trump hater) suggests that I am indeed able to keep an open mind when interpreting news. That I don’t automatically accept whatever Fox or MSNBC or anyone else is saying. I wish that some of the Trump-lovers here wouldn’t blindly accept what Fox “News”, Breitbart, Drudge, etc. have to say.

Some of the reasons for my Trump-hate, not in order of importance:

1. Trump denies AGW (basically the thesis that humans are contributing significantly to global warming). Among actual climate scientists, about 95% agree with AGW.

2. Did not release his tax returns. This is made more galling because when Obama was President, Trump tweeted: "Why does Obama believe he shouldn't comply with record releases that his predecessors did of their own volition? Hiding something?" and "Why is @BarackObama spending millions to try and hide his records? He is the least transparent President--ever" --until Trump himself was elected, that is. Trump also isn’t afraid to say that Democrats that plead the 5th must be guilty. So, what is Trump guilty of when doesn’t release his tax returns, as every other President has for 40 years? The IRS has clearly said that Trump’s excuse that he couldn’t release the returns while under audit at the time (over 2 years ago now) was a lie; there is and was no such restriction.

3. Our President is on tape saying, before he ran for office, "And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything....Grab ’em by the p***y. You can do anything." Is that the sort of thing that makes you proud of our President? Would you want your pretty daughter to be alone in the same room with Trump?

4. Trump dodged the draft. Bad enough in itself and not exactly patriotic, but then he makes a huge issue out of the National Anthem. So, we are supposed to forgive Trump for dodging the draft, but he can’t forgive NFL players for staying in the locker room during the Anthem?

5. Trump dodged the draft, but said of Senator McCain “He’s not a war hero….I like people who weren’t captured.” And after the Parkland shooting, Trump said, “I really believe I’d run in there even if I didn’t have a weapon”. Right, Donald, you ran away from Vietnam, where you would have had plenty of weaponry, but you would have run weaponless into an active shooter situation at Parkland. Sure.

6. Trump said there were “some very fine people" on both sides at Charlottesville....even though one side was organized by the KKK and its ilk; I didn't know that "some very fine people" would show up to support an event organized by groups like that?

7. Going after Amazon because he doesn’t like the coverage he gets from the Washington Post. (The Post is owned by Jeff Bezos, CEO and largest shareholder of Amazon). And Trump is lying when he does go after Amazon, lying on multiple fronts: how much sales tax Amazon collects; taxpayer subsidies to the US Postal Service; and the profitability of the US Postal Service’s package delivery business.

8. Consistently fails to criticize Putin. Re the Russians invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea, Trump had this to say earlier this in June:
.
TRUMP: It's possible that we'll meet, yeah. And I thought -- you know, this all started because somebody -- one of you -- asked, "Should Putin be in the G7?" I said, no, he should be in the G8. A few years ago, Putin was in what was called the G8. I think it's better to have Russia in than to have Russia out, because just like North Korea, just like somebody else, it's much better if we get along with them than if we don't.

So it's possible. Just so you understand --

REPORTER: Is Crimea part of Russia? Do you --

TRUMP: No, no. President Obama lost Crimea, just so you understand. This was long before I got there. Just -- I want to make it so the fake news prints it properly. President Obama lost Crimea.

REPORTER: So it's his fault?

TRUMP: Wait, wait. That's his fault. Yeah, yeah, it's his fault. Yeah, it's his fault.

REPORTER: How is it not Putin's fault, sir?

TRUMP: The President -- just so you understand --

REPORTER: How is it not Putin's fault, sir? How is it not Putin's fault? He invaded them.

TRUMP: Because -- because Putin didn't respect President Obama. President Obama lost Crimea because President Putin didn't respect President Obama, didn't respect our country and didn't respect Ukraine. But President Obama, not Trump -- when it's my fault, I'll tell you. But President Obama gave away that. Now, President Obama, by not going across the red line in the sand that he drew -- I went across it with the 59 missile hits. But President Obama, when he didn't go across the red line, what he gave away, nobody even knows. But just to put it -- one more time, President Obama gave away Crimea. That should have never happened.



So, Trump is saying that because Obama appeared weak on Syria, Putin took Crimea? Yet at the same time, Trump is saying that Russia should be allowed to rejoin the G8? The West kicked Russia out of the G8 as one of the punishments for invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea, yet Trump wants to undo that punishment even though Russia has done nothing to reverse what it has done with Ukraine and Crimea? That makes Trump look weak, not strong, and might serve to give Putin the green light to invade other countries, such as the Baltics, and take and annex more of Ukraine.

9. Has proposed cutting legal immigration by over 40%. This is nonsense for a President who has also promised 4% GDP growth. Cutting total immigration hurts GDP growth, period. Cutting legal immigration is the result of 4th-grade level analysis: “Oh, if we legally let in another doctor, that will pressure the wages and hours/employment of American doctors, so that’s bad for America.” Wrong. That legal immigrant doctor will pay taxes, which is good for America. That legal immigrant doctor will need a place to live, which means he’ll need a house, or an apartment, which will increase demand, and therefore wages/hours/employment, for the carpenters, electricians, realtors, etc., anyone who is involved. He will have to heat his home, increasing demand for natural gas, and work for Americans in the natural gas supply chain. He’ll need to eat something, helping American farmers. He’ll shop at local retailers, increasing demand/wages/hours/employment for cashiers and other store employees. Maybe he’ll also shop online, increasing demand/wages/hours/employment for Amazon warehouse employees, UPS employees, etc. You get the idea.

In general, if you look at history, immigration has been a net positive for the economy. The unskilled, lower-paid immigrants are a net fiscal drain (paying less in taxes, but still needing government services), but looking at the totality of historical immigration, including the illegal portion and the (overlapping) unskilled/lower-paid segment, immigration has been a net positive for the economy. Now, one thing the administration gets right is to talk about tilting toward “merit-based” legal immigration. But it would be better for the country if we did that AND if the total number of immigrants were not cut drastically by Trump. It would be best for America if we combined a more merit-based legal immigration (proportionately less lower-skilled/lower-wage immigrants) with the same or even higher total numbers of immigrants, perhaps varying the total each year based on the state of the economy.
I don't consider "Never-Trumpers" to be honest republicans. They are just a new breed of RINO.
N_Jay is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:13 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGfaninVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,822
Thanked 54 Times in 54 Posts
Trabant
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
I don't consider "Never-Trumpers" to be honest republicans. They are just a new breed of RINO.
RINO - What far right zealots call real Republicans.
AMGfaninVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:29 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,163
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
A), B), or C)?
N_Jay is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:36 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 0
Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 14 E350
austingtir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:38 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Bahnstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 767
Thanked 91 Times in 85 Posts
2003 E500 - Tectite
Originally Posted by austingtir View Post
The Bat**** crazy one.
Bahnstormer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:24 PM
  #8  
Member
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
12C P85DL
Because you have
Ears
Eyes
Brain

and they are connected.
lolachampcar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:33 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,163
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
This is what hate does to a person:

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/tr.../02/id/875089/
Woman Accused of Hitting Car for Having Trump Bumper Sticker
A motorist accused of intentionally hitting another vehicle after becoming enraged by a bumper sticker for President Donald Trump has pleaded not guilty to assault with a dangerous weapon.Chloe Wright appeared in court in Barnstable, Massachusetts, on Monday. The 25-year-old also faces charges of vandalizing property and leaving the scene of property damage.The Cape Cod Times reports a man told police he was stopped at a red light on June 30 when the driver behind him began honking the horn. At the next light, the man told police the driver called him a racist and other names after asking if he had voted for Trump.The man told police the motorist hit his door and the side of his vehicle as she drove around his car.
N_Jay is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:37 PM
  #10  
Member
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
12C P85DL
No Trump - would not have happened. Easy fix.
lolachampcar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 0
Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 14 E350
Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
No Trump - would not have happened. Easy fix.
This comment sums up the mentally deranged left.
austingtir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:02 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGfaninVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,822
Thanked 54 Times in 54 Posts
Trabant
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
This is what hate does to a person:
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/tr.../02/id/875089/
Woman Accused of Hitting Car for Having Trump Bumper Sticker
And then there’s the kid in Texas who was assaulted for wearing a MAGA hat, and don’t forget the protestor at a Trump rally who was elbowed in the face by a Trump supporter (after Trump, himself, encouraged violence against protesters). Stupid people do stupid things. Got it. I doubt anyone here supports using violence against “the other side”.
AMGfaninVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:56 AM
  #13  
Member
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
12C P85DL
Originally Posted by austingtir View Post
This comment sums up the mentally deranged left.
and this is where the Trump 35% confirm their lack of grasp of reality. Talk circles all you want about how your guy is saying this when he is saying that because it is impolite to point out you are actually nuts. Saying I'm from the Left lets me say with absolute certainty that you folks are nuts.

We are trying your experiment. It's taking some time but the results will come in. It is just my hope that I can see far enough in the near future to protect mine as all the rest gets flushed. If you all are right, I'll do just fine. If you are wrong, I hope you are such true believers that you are all in.

There are consequences to bad decisions. OOOOPS, I just uttered another lefty comment

I need popcorn. You folks are going to look more and more crazy as time goes on. It reminds me of that Iraq official on TV saying there are no bombs falling in Baghdad.
lolachampcar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:10 AM
  #14  
Member
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
12C P85DL
Originally Posted by AMGfaninVA View Post


And then there’s the kid in Texas who was assaulted for wearing a MAGA hat, and don’t forget the protestor at a Trump rally who was elbowed in the face by a Trump supporter (after Trump, himself, encouraged violence against protesters). Stupid people do stupid things. Got it. I doubt anyone here supports using violence against “the other side”.

I'm not as convinced as you are on this point. I think there is a lot of pent up anger driven mostly by the ever widening divide in wealth. This anger exists on all sides. Its a tinder box and all it takes is someone who cares little about this country and is willing to use this anger to their own benefit (financial or just to feed their ego) to light the fire.

Quick thought exercise. Dem wave in November. House goes after Trump. Trump becomes a true believer that Russia has meddled in our elections but for the Dems. Trump declares the Dems in the house are not legitimate and calls out his followers. All it takes is one person........ Yep, something like that could happen and the seeds are being planted. Trump is being forced by all around him to deal with this interference in our elections and so is doing so to his advantage. Yea, I know. They are all bad and your guy is just doing it better than the other guy.

On a side note, I'm sure there are a lot that want to jump all over my divide in wealth comment to say I want to tax the rich and give cell phones to the lazy. Not the case.
I'm saying that, if you do well, you have an obligation to the nation, the people in it and the people that came before you who made it possible for you to succeed. That obligation is to use your obvious skill to make things better than you found them. Using your money to buy influence at the expense of others is the opposite. There is only so long that you can screw people over before they get pissed and respond. It can take the form of electing a moron just to give everyone else in Washington the middle finger. Or, it could be polite like Cuba and the upper class is invited to leave. Or, it could be like Cambodia. My point, if you have done well you have an obligation to make things better. For the record, giving away stuff for nothing makes things worse, not better.

Last edited by lolachampcar; 08-03-2018 at 07:12 AM.
lolachampcar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:58 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGfaninVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,822
Thanked 54 Times in 54 Posts
Trabant
Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
I'm not as convinced as you are on this point. I think there is a lot of pent up anger driven mostly by the ever widening divide in wealth. This anger exists on all sides. Its a tinder box and all it takes is someone who cares little about this country and is willing to use this anger to their own benefit (financial or just to feed their ego) to light the fire.
You're not convinced that stupid people do stupid things, or that folks on this forum disapprove of violence? Certainly perceived unfair distribution of our tax dollars to “freeloaders” and immigrants, as well as the amped up fear of illegal immigration, MS-13, and other dog whistle calls to many who feel left out is as much a driving factor behind Trump’s popularity with his base as any angst over income equality. Consider Trump’s great big beauty tax plan that puts pennies in the pockets of the average Joe/Jane America while giving, by far, a much greater (permanent) break to corporations and their wealthy shareholders. Hear many Joe’s and Jane’s complaining about that? No, because Trump is satisfying them mostly by appealing to their basest emotions and biases, regardless of the fact that much of what he says is absolute garbage.

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
Quick thought exercise. Dem wave in November. House goes after Trump. Trump becomes a true believer that Russia has meddled in our elections but for the Dems. Trump declares the Dems in the house are not legitimate and calls out his followers. All it takes is one person........ Yep, something like that could happen and the seeds are being planted. Trump is being forced by all around him to deal with this interference in our elections and so is doing so to his advantage. Yea, I know. They are all bad and your guy is just doing it better than the other guy.
I brought this idea up earlier in another thread. Trump is planting the seeds of doubt now so that if/when Dems take one or both houses in November he turn the narrative on its head and blame Putin for his own failures.

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
I'm saying that, if you do well, you have an obligation to the nation, the people in it and the people that came before you who made it possible for you to succeed. That obligation is to use your obvious skill to make things better than you found them. Using your money to buy influence at the expense of others is the opposite. There is only so long that you can screw people over before they get pissed and respond. It can take the form of electing a moron just to give everyone else in Washington the middle finger. Or, it could be polite like Cuba and the upper class is invited to leave. Or, it could be like Cambodia. My point, if you have done well you have an obligation to make things better. For the record, giving away stuff for nothing makes things worse, not better.
I agree that those who achieve success should help others where/however they can. They should absolutely not be forced to, but should do so for the good of their children’s future and the country.

​​​​​​​
AMGfaninVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:03 AM
  #16  
Member
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
12C P85DL
"You're not convinced that stupid people do stupid things, or that folks on this forum disapprove of violence? Certainly perceived unfair distribution of our tax dollars to “freeloaders” and immigrants, as well as the amped up fear of illegal immigration, MS-13, and other dog whistle calls to many who feel left out is as much a driving factor behind Trump’s popularity with his base as any angst over income equality. Consider Trump’s great big beauty tax plan that puts pennies in the pockets of the average Joe/Jane America while giving, by far, a much greater (permanent) break to corporations and their wealthy shareholders. Hear many Joe’s and Jane’s complaining about that? No, because Trump is satisfying them mostly by appealing to their basest emotions and biases, regardless of the fact that much of what he says is absolute garbage."

My doubt comes from the fear that the same thing that allows people to believe snake oil salesmen will allow them to come out in force for that person when called upon to do so. There is strong belief from some members on this forum thus I'm not so sure of what they would or would not do in response to a call to action.

Yes, I am convinced that stupid people do stupid things. Actually, judging by my own performance, I think people do stupid things from time to time. I just chalk it up to being human and try to learn from my mistakes.
lolachampcar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:59 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGfaninVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,822
Thanked 54 Times in 54 Posts
Trabant
Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
Actually, judging by my own performance, I think people do stupid things from time to time. I just chalk it up to being human and try to learn from my mistakes.
Me too. Wish everyone thought this way.
AMGfaninVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 AM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,163
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
I see you are still at it.

Let's try a little experiment.
I point out where I believe you are wrong using facts and logic, and you correct me in the same style.

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
and this is where the Trump 35% confirm their lack of grasp of reality.
We can just skip this one, since it is not even a complete thought.
If you wish to not skip to, just repost teh though in a more complete form, and we can address it.
(Notice, that I am allowing you almost complete control over the direction of the discussion, right up to the point you decide to diverge form logic)

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
Talk circles all you want about how your guy is saying this when he is saying that because it is impolite to point out you are actually nuts.
This is where we were before:
You chose a specific interpretation of a statement, Whereas I provided the direct quote.
I provided specific facts addressing the actual quote, whereas you chose to just repeat your position without additional support.

SO, all you have to do is clearly state (or provide a link to the quote) what Trump said, and then post exactly what you believe it meant.
If you care to provide additional support for your interpretation.

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
Saying I'm from the Left lets me say with absolute certainty that you folks are nuts.
Again, we can skip this one, unless you want to address it.

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
We are trying your experiment.
I woudl love to see the lab notes.

Maybe you can provide the hypothesis you are testing and a little about the test procedure.

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
It's taking some time but the results will come in.
So you say, however invalid tests provide invalid results.

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
It is just my hope that I can see far enough in the near future to protect mine as all the rest gets flushed.
Fist you talk about an "experiment" and now you are into premonition.
(Still nothing that can be directly discussed.)

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
If you all are right, I'll do just fine. If you are wrong, I hope you are such true believers that you are all in.
You seem to have settled into an unstated conclusion prior to any discussion. (And you imply other are "nuts".)

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
There are consequences to bad decisions. OOOOPS, I just uttered another lefty comment
No you didn't?

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
I need popcorn.
No, I think you need Prozac.

Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
It reminds me of that Iraq official on TV saying there are no bombs falling in Baghdad.
Are there other people in the room when you hear the voices?

Last edited by N_Jay; 08-03-2018 at 09:39 AM.
N_Jay is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Das Geld 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,781
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
SL55, S500
Sigh, you guys still don't get why Trump won.
Das Geld 2 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:05 AM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,163
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2 View Post
Sigh, you guys still don't get why Trump won.
That is awful specific.

I woudl say they don't get a whole lot of things.
N_Jay is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 AM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Das Geld 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,781
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
I'm not as convinced as you are on this point. I think there is a lot of pent up anger driven mostly by the ever widening divide in wealth. This anger exists on all sides. Its a tinder box and all it takes is someone who cares little about this country and is willing to use this anger to their own benefit (financial or just to feed their ego) to light the fire.

Quick thought exercise. Dem wave in November. House goes after Trump. Trump becomes a true believer that Russia has meddled in our elections but for the Dems. Trump declares the Dems in the house are not legitimate and calls out his followers. All it takes is one person........ Yep, something like that could happen and the seeds are being planted. Trump is being forced by all around him to deal with this interference in our elections and so is doing so to his advantage. Yea, I know. They are all bad and your guy is just doing it better than the other guy.

On a side note, I'm sure there are a lot that want to jump all over my divide in wealth comment to say I want to tax the rich and give cell phones to the lazy. Not the case.
I'm saying that, if you do well, you have an obligation to the nation, the people in it and the people that came before you who made it possible for you to succeed. That obligation is to use your obvious skill to make things better than you found them. Using your money to buy influence at the expense of others is the opposite. There is only so long that you can screw people over before they get pissed and respond. It can take the form of electing a moron just to give everyone else in Washington the middle finger. Or, it could be polite like Cuba and the upper class is invited to leave. Or, it could be like Cambodia. My point, if you have done well you have an obligation to make things better. For the record, giving away stuff for nothing makes things worse, not better.
You mean the poor democrat blacks in NYC are going to attack the rich white democrats? I hope so.
Das Geld 2 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:59 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGfaninVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,822
Thanked 54 Times in 54 Posts
Trabant
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2 View Post
Sigh, you guys still don't get why Trump won.
Sure we do. Because the EC favors Republicans.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nat...centrated/amp/
Don't forget who won the popular vote. ‘16 was W in ‘00.
AMGfaninVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:02 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Das Geld 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,781
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
SL55, S500
No wonder cali is on fire
Das Geld 2 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:13 PM
  #24  
Member
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
12C P85DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolachampcar
There are consequences to bad decisions. OOOOPS, I just uttered another lefty comment
No you didn't?




still not debating alternative facts
at least you got one observation correct
lolachampcar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:16 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,163
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolachampcar
There are consequences to bad decisions. OOOOPS, I just uttered another lefty comment
No you didn't?




still not debating alternative facts
at least you got one observation correct
Do you actually read what you post?

To what "Fact" of yours are you implying I was arguing an "Alternative fact" ?
N_Jay is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why this life-long Republican hates Trump


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: