Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > General Forums > Off Topic > Political Discussions
Crowdfunding the "People's Wall" >

Crowdfunding the "People's Wall"

Notices
Political Discussions Use this forum to discuss politics, religion, and other controversial subjects. Respect for your peers is mandatory.

Crowdfunding the "People's Wall"

 
Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 PM
  #76  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
"It's not big enouogh" -- What is this, 3rd-15th century China? The Great Wall is a tourist attraction that people climb and walk all over today for a reason... It's a dead technology that eventually failed for stopping invasions. The wall is planned to be 40ft high and 10ft deep. Last I checked tunnels are deeper, ladders are higher, and stairs are easy to build.

Nothing will ever stop 100% of people from getting in. Putting up a wall is just going to show that and now we have a fancy wall that requires expensive maintenance AND still have an immigration.
Great Wall of China is a great example actually... It worked very well and has lasted hundreds and hundreds of years without "expensive maintenance"... Or any maintenance really.

Now, this ridiculous logic of "oh we will never stop 100% of "x" so we shouldn't do anything to stop "x"". What is that? Should we legalize murder, hard drug use, rape, drunk driving, etc? I meanwe will never stop 100% of crime so why try to stop any of it, right? Enforcing the law is just a huge waste of money with zero benefit to anyone
G_Money is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 12:07 AM
  #77  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
Great Wall of China is a great example actually... It worked very well and has lasted hundreds and hundreds of years without "expensive maintenance"... Or any maintenance really.

Now, this ridiculous logic of "oh we will never stop 100% of "x" so we shouldn't do anything to stop "x"". What is that? Should we legalize murder, hard drug use, rape, drunk driving, etc? I meanwe will never stop 100% of crime so why try to stop any of it, right? Enforcing the law is just a huge waste of money with zero benefit to anyone
It did work very well which is why it lasted so long and took over a century to build. But this was back in the days of sticks and stones along with bows and arrows... You should google Great Wall repairs if you think it hasn't had "any maintenance really."

And a typical change of direction. You must have missed the whole part of my post where I said I'm pro-border security, right? I mean, you must have skipped over where I said that it would be nice to have a more sensible option on the table, right? Obviously you just skimmed over that.

News flash -- "murder, hard drug use, rape, drunk driving, etc." have been against the law for a very, very long time and is any single on of them reduced to zero? Nope. So thanks for proving my point that regardless of what is in place, laws/rules/, to include illegal border crossings, will always be broken no matter what deterrents (such as walls) we put in place.



Merry Christmas.

Edit -- quick follow up. I do understand that you're saying the wall will work to a degree. After all, life in prison for murder is a strong deterrent such that people aren't running around killing everyone in total chaos every day. I agree, it would ultimately reduce the number of illegal crossings. But the emphasis here is that there are more effective ways to increase security and achieve a reduction in these crossings. In other words, the way I see it, the wall is a less efficient way of going about this problem. But like you, I am a nothing nobody and my opinion is worth next to nothing here.

Last edited by CarHopper; 12-25-2018 at 12:15 AM.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 12:19 AM
  #78  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
It did work very well which is why it lasted so long and took over a century to build. But this was back in the days of sticks and stones along with bows and arrows... You should google Great Wall repairs if you think it hasn't had "any maintenance really."

And a typical change of direction. You must have missed the whole part of my post where 0I said I'm pro-border security, right? I mean, you must have skipped over where I said that it would be nice to have a more sensible option on the table, right? Obviously you just skimmed over that.

News flash -- "murder, hard drug use, rape, drunk driving, etc." have been against the law for a very, very long time and is any single on of them reduced to zero? Nope. So thanks for proving my point that regardless of what is in place, laws/rules/, to include illegal border crossings, will always be broken no matter what deterrents (such as walls) we put in place.



Merry Christmas.

Edit -- quick follow up. I do understand that you're saying the wall will work to a degree. After all, life in prison for murder is a strong deterrent such that people aren't running around killing everyone in total chaos every day. I agree, it would ultimately reduce the number of illegal crossings. But the emphasis here is that there are more effective ways to increase security and achieve a reduction in these crossings. In other words, the way I see it, the wall is a less efficient way of going about this problem. But like you, I am a nothing nobody and my opinion is worth next to nothing here.
Maybe you should read about the Great Wall repairs... The wall was damaged during the rule of Mao, during the Cultural Revolution and his war against the "Olds"... Not by any foreign invasion force.

And what is your point? That we shouldn't have or enforce any laws whatsoever? What is a more efficient manner of controlling the border than a more or less one time cost on a wall to permanently secure the border. Walls work. That's why your house is made from them.

Oh, and merry Christmas to you as well, and a happy new year!

ETA: Illegal immigrants cost the taxpayers ~$155 billion yearly. $20-30 billion is a drop in the bucket. Even if it stopped a 6th of the flow of illegal immigrants it will have essentially paid for itself.

Last edited by G_Money; 12-25-2018 at 05:08 AM.
G_Money is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 09:16 AM
  #79  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/feb/13/ron-johnson/border-fence-israel-cut-illegal-immigration-99-per/
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 10:11 AM
  #80  
Super Member
 
rustybear3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Cleveland area
Posts: 933
Thanked 82 Times in 74 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
Rising interest rates are the sign of a strengthening/strong economy as savings returns are increased and borrowing is decreased.

Try again.

Also - jobs are up, unemployment is down, wages are up, what are you smoking? The CNN pipe that has solely focused on a rough month for the market, that's what.
Wrong, Rising rates slow down the economy, which would negatively affect stocks. This is because higher interest rates mean higher borrowing costs for individuals and businesses, which lead to lower consumer and business spending. This reduced demand for goods and services leads to lower corporate revenues and profits. People won't buy as many homes ( a now depressed market) and big ticket items.The massive layoffs next year will be brutal. Don't you guy read anything but right wing fodder?

Wages are not up. They are falling. Read Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick.../#46a18537284f

Quit drinking the kool aid and read up!

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
How out of touch are you? Most Americans don't have 401k's. As a matter of fact, the majority of Americans would have to take out a loan if they incurred a surprise expense of over $400. Look it up.
While more Americans need to save for retirement, most don't make enough money to justify it. All going to expenses! There is however a good amount of Americans (just under 50%) who do save, and they are now being raped!

​​​​​​If the economy has improved since the Great Bush Recession, then why are nearly half of Americans unprepared for a $400 emergency expense?

Last edited by rustybear3; 12-25-2018 at 10:33 AM.
rustybear3 is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 12:24 PM
  #81  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
And what is your point? That we shouldn't have or enforce any laws whatsoever? What is a more efficient manner of controlling the border than a more or less one time cost on a wall to permanently secure the border. Walls work. That's why your house is made from them.

Oh, and merry Christmas to you as well, and a happy new year!
Again, no. We enforce the laws which is why those things don't happen at a greater rate. This entire time I have been saying the wall alone is not going to stop 100% of crossings nor will be as effective as people want it to be. My argument has been that there needs to be a much larger human presence (CBP) on the border. And if we have to choose one over the other, can't afford both, whatever then my vote is for the human presence. By all means let's combo wombo this b!tch and put a wall up AND increase the CBP numbers on the border. If we just throw a wall up and call it good that's going to lead to complacency and one well crafted tunnel in a remote location where we don't have that human presence and they'll just flow right in.

The walls in my house do work! Yes, thank you. They keep out rain, snow, wind... The elements. But just because my house has walls it doesn't mean it's a fortress and if someone really wanted to come in they'd just break a window and come in. (Picture that as a tunnel). If they want in they'll always find a way in. However, you know what's pretty effective against that? Me, inside, with a gun. ...Again, the thing I've been arguing for this entire time which is the human element that has been left out of the equation.

And last but not least, this gofundme isn't going to do much in the grand scheme when it comes to putting the wall up. Yes, it will be crowd funded... But through taxes.

Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/feb/13/ron-johnson/border-fence-israel-cut-illegal-immigration-99-per/
Do you even read the articles you post? Or just look at headlines?

"The Israel-Egypt border fence is about 150 miles. The U.S.-Mexico border is nearly 2,000 miles. Terrain conditions and number of agents needed to monitor the border are not comparable either, Jones said.
"Most of the Israeli fence goes through open, arid terrain. Easy to access, easy to build, easy to monitor with agents," Jones said.
The U.S.-Mexico border, on the other hand, includes very remote, mountainous terrain and spans the length of four states with cities closely intertwined with Mexico. Trump has said that border has 1 million legal border crossings daily, which experts have told us include people traveling back and forth for school, work and shopping.
Israeli government data support Johnson’s statement. However, experts say the fence alone is not responsible for the dramatic decrease in illegal immigration, policies have also deterred illegal border crossings. Border security experts also caution about comparing Israel and the United States’ southern borders -- the U.S.-Mexico border is much longer than the Israel-Egypt border, terrain conditions are different and more agents would be needed to monitor the U.S. border."

Apples to oranges darling. And then that last bit which is what I have been saying all along... "U.S.-Mexico border is much longer than the Israel-Egypt border, terrain conditions are different and more agents would be needed to monitor the U.S. border."

So fine, have your wall, but without a human presence in addition to it will not be as effective as you want it to be.



Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
Wrong, Rising rates slow down the economy, which would negatively affect stocks. This is because higher interest rates mean higher borrowing costs for individuals and businesses, which lead to lower consumer and business spending. This reduced demand for goods and services leads to lower corporate revenues and profits. People won't buy as many homes ( a now depressed market) and big ticket items.The massive layoffs next year will be brutal. Don't you guy read anything but right wing fodder?
Congratulations! Now that you've gone off and told us the effect of rising interest rates go back and look up the cause. While you're at it, what's your favorite kool-aid flavor? The rate at which you suckin' it down the least I could do is order you a refill.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 07:51 PM
  #82  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Kind of wondering which is worse? What you don't know or what you think you know?

Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
Wrong, Rising rates slow down the economy, which would negatively affect stocks.​​​​​
True but why are they up? Is it an INDICATOR?

The are being raised because the Fed is concerned about an overheated economy. The goal (rightly or wrongly) is to stabilize growth, not force a recession.

Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
This is because higher interest rates mean higher borrowing costs for individuals and businesses, which lead to lower consumer and business spending.​​​​​
That you for the lesson professor obvious. Maybe next you can post the definition of an economic indicator?

Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
People won't buy as many homes ( a now depressed market) and big ticket items.​​​​​
Your assertion. Houses are off, but what other "big Ticket" items are trending down?
Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?

Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
The massive layoffs next year will be brutal. ​​​​​
Based on? Come on; look up the common economic indicators and produce your expected outcome report.

Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
Don't you guy read anything but right wing fodder?​​​​​
Yes, we do, but obviously you are stuck reading only left wing crap!

Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
Wages are not up. They are falling. Read Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick.../#46a18537284f​​​​​
Kind of funny, you find an OpEd by a Trump Hater and misquote even the results he found.
Taking the segment with the lowest income growth, he still shows then even (if not insignificantly ahead of) inflation. (0.1% UP is not "falling")

Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
Quit drinking the kool aid and read up! ​​​​​
Take your own advice!
N_Jay is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Jay For This Useful Post:
CarHopper (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 08:10 PM
  #83  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
Do you even read the articles you post? Or just look at headlines?
Yes, did you?

Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
"The Israel-Egypt border fence is about 150 miles. The U.S.-Mexico border is nearly 2,000 miles.
I am not sure what scale has to do with anything?

Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
Terrain conditions and number of agents needed to monitor the border are not comparable either, Jones said.
"Most of the Israeli fence goes through open, arid terrain. Easy to access, easy to build, easy to monitor with agents," Jones said.
Some is comparable,,and some is not. Wall/fence design (and need) certainly changes with terrain. Barriers are still effective.

Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
The U.S.-Mexico border, on the other hand, includes very remote, mountainous terrain and spans the length of four states with cities closely intertwined with Mexico. Trump has said that border has 1 million legal border crossings daily, which experts have told us include people traveling back and forth for school, work and shopping.
Yes, at LEGAL crossings!
Point??

Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
Israeli government data support Johnsonís statement.
Duh!

Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
However, experts say the fence alone is not responsible for the dramatic decrease in illegal immigration, policies have also deterred illegal border crossings.
Double Duh!
Did someone imply the wall was all that was needed (or is this a stupid argument created by the left?)

Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
Border security experts also caution about comparing Israel and the United Statesí southern borders -- the U.S.-Mexico border is much longer than the Israel-Egypt border, terrain conditions are different and more agents would be needed to monitor the U.S. border."
Apples to oranges darling.
More like Red Delicious verses Johnna-Gold; More the same than different, but certainly not identical.

Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
-- the U.S.-Mexico border is much longer than the Israel-Egypt border, terrain conditions are different and more agents would be needed to monitor the U.S. border."
Yes, and did anyone say anything different?

Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
And then that last bit which is what I have been saying all along... "U.S.-Mexico border is much longer than the Israel-Egypt border, terrain conditions are different and more agents would be needed to monitor the U.S. border."
And again, other than stupid lefties milking strawman arguments, did anyone say it would not take agents?
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
[color=left=#333333]So fine, have your wall, but [/color][b=left]without[/b][color=left=#333333] a human presence in addition to it will not be as effective as you want it to be.[/color]
As would be human presence without a barrier, and that would be even worse.

See the Dems would love a high tech "Virtual Wall", because they;
1) Could give lots of pork to there military contractor friends in DC, CA and NY for the "Virtual Wall", and
2) cut funding for CBP personnel and let their new voters in.
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 09:35 PM
  #84  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
^You realize I was quoting from the article, right? And the point being you simply posted a link to the article without providing any of your own context which leads me to believe the reason you posted it in the first place was to show that Israel's wall works so why wouldn't ours. Then I grabbed from the article a handful of reasons why you can't use that wall as a direct example because it is not comparing apples to apples. I don't even know why I bother explaining that out to you...

Scale is important because of cost.

The nice thing with that article was the part where it said $2.9million per mile which would mean ours in theory at the same cost would be a touch over $3billion. Curious to see how some estimates have an additional $65+ billion.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 PM
  #85  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
^You realize I was quoting from the article, right? And the point being you simply posted a link to the article without providing any of your own context which leads me to believe the reason you posted it in the first place was to show that Israel's wall works so why wouldn't ours. Then I grabbed from the article a handful of reasons why you can't use that wall as a direct example because it is not comparing apples to apples. I don't even know why I bother explaining that out to you...

Scale is important because of cost.

The nice thing with that article was the part where it said $2.9million per mile which would mean ours in theory at the same cost would be a touch over $3billion. Curious to see how some estimates have an additional $65+ billion.
We spend more because we have more.
You were quoting the "expert" used to try to show it was a lie, And they only pushed it to "mostly true".
Context and logic are required when reading.

Start with an open mind and try to think of how and why a wall makes border protection easier or harder.
Then come back and tell us why it is a bad idea.
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 09:57 PM
  #86  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
Context and logic are required when reading.
Okay. Show the logic where I said the quotes I grabbed from the article were lies.

I grabbed them as truths then compared and contrasted to our situation here.

And once again........................ I. am. pro. wall. My arguments this entire time are that A) Thinking that crowd funding this thing is possible is a joke and B) If/when the wall goes up there is going to have to be additional human capital invested along with it to be as effective as people want it to be which is going to amplify the cost even more. I'd rather see the human capital aspect go into it to see how effective that is and then add the wall if needed rather than vice versa.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 10:42 PM
  #87  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
$18M
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 11:44 PM
  #88  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
While more Americans need to save for retirement, most don't make enough money to justify it. All going to expenses! There is however a good amount of Americans (just under 50%) who do save, and they are now being raped!

​​​​​​If the economy has improved since the Great Bush Recession, then why are nearly half of Americans unprepared for a $400 emergency expense?

That's what I'm saying, is that while the financial sector might be doing well, that success has been very slow to reach the average American, if it's affected them at all.
G_Money is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 11:52 PM
  #89  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
^You realize I was quoting from the article, right? And the point being you simply posted a link to the article without providing any of your own context which leads me to believe the reason you posted it in the first place was to show that Israel's wall works so why wouldn't ours. Then I grabbed from the article a handful of reasons why you can't use that wall as a direct example because it is not comparing apples to apples. I don't even know why I bother explaining that out to you...

Scale is important because of cost.

The nice thing with that article was the part where it said $2.9million per mile which would mean ours in theory at the same cost would be a touch over $3billion. Curious to see how some estimates have an additional $65+ billion.
We gave Israel $38 billion dollars this year (and have given them about that every year for a while). That would have fully funded a border wall, and even had a lot left over to hire more patrol agents. But no, we fund their wall, their border agents, their security, while we let infinity low skilled third world hordes in. Do you not see the problem here?

Also, you talk about scale... How about economy of scale? Our wall would likely cost much less per mile being that it is longer.

Last edited by G_Money; 12-26-2018 at 12:08 AM.
G_Money is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 12:04 AM
  #90  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
We gave Israel $38 billion dollars this year (and have given them about that every year for a while). That would have fully funded a border wall, and even had a lot left over to hire more patrol agents. But no, we fund their wall, their border agents, their security, while we let infinity low skilled third world hordes in. Do you not see the problem here?
Israel is an important ally for us. Why worry about that $38 billion when we waste that easily on illegal immigrants here, welfare abuse, military excess, etc. Do you not see the problem there?

We are so wasteful in so very many aspects of the budget that it's not worth even going down that rabbit hole because we'd go on all day. I really don't see how it is relevant, though, when it comes to foreign aid being a problem vs. not having a wall especially when it comes to Israel.

CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 12:08 AM
  #91  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
$18M
Unless you see something different, it's just over $17M. And what was once going up at a rate of $4-$5M per day is now under $2M. And the number of people who've contributed is less than .5% of those who voted for Trump.

Crowdfunding isn't the answer. It'll be interesting to see where this money actually ends up.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 12:13 AM
  #92  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
Israel is an important ally for us. Why worry about that $38 billion when we waste that easily on illegal immigrants here, welfare abuse, military excess, etc. Do you not see the problem there?

We are so wasteful in so very many aspects of the budget that it's not worth even going down that rabbit hole because we'd go on all day. I really don't see how it is relevant, though, when it comes to foreign aid being a problem vs. not having a wall especially when it comes to Israel.
Yes, we are very wasteful, and we need to cut some of that waste down. Exporting cash is probably a good place to start.

And how exactly is Israel an important ally? What wars have they fought with us? All they've done (along with the Saudis) is drag us in to pointless wars like Syria, and trying to get us in Iran forever. They've also sold missile tech we gave them to China (MIM-104 Patriot comes to mind), and have even attacked us in attempt to draw us in to wars before (USS Liberty)... So why would we keep giving these people money, instead of spending it on, say, a border wall, infrastructure upgrades, homeless veterans or literally anything else?
G_Money is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 08:01 AM
  #93  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
Unless you see something different, it's just over $17M. And what was once going up at a rate of $4-$5M per day is now under $2M. And the number of people who've contributed is less than .5% of those who voted for Trump.

Crowdfunding isn't the answer. It'll be interesting to see where this money actually ends up.
Was on my phone, but could have sworn it was $18M.

Yep, it doesn't fund the wall, but it does break through the MSM noise.

Last edited by N_Jay; 12-26-2018 at 08:13 AM.
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 08:05 AM
  #94  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
We gave Israel $38 billion dollars this year . . .
Where did you get that number?
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 08:23 AM
  #95  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
Where did you get that number?
Straight from the horses mouth, of course of course!

Senate Passes Bill to Enshrine $38-billion Military Aid Package to Israel Into Law
G_Money is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 08:35 AM
  #96  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
Without reading the article.
The U.S. Senate passed a measure that would codify into law the $38 billion defense aid package for Israel over 10 years that was negotiated in the final days of the Obama administration
And it is for years 2019 - 2028.
Previous funding had been less.

Last edited by N_Jay; 12-26-2018 at 08:40 AM.
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 08:38 AM
  #97  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
What are you talking about? The very thing you quoted states we are giving Israel $38 billion. Stop being pedantic.

And regardless, we shouldn't be giving Israel any money as long as there is a single homeless veteran. Or any other country, for that matter. You don't buy friendship.
G_Money is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 08:52 AM
  #98  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
One step at a time:

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
We gave Israel $38 billion dollars this year (and have given them about that every year for a while).
The aid package is not simply a cash transfer. A large portion is loan guarantees and other assurances that returns value to the US.

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
We gave Israel $38 billion dollars this year (and have given them about that every year for a while)..
The aid package is for $38B over the next 10 years. That would be an average of $3.8B per year.

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
We gave Israel $38 billion dollars this year (and have given them about that every year for a while)..
The aid package starts in FY2019 (So, technically, we are 3 months into "this year") (Guessing you only got this right by accident)

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
We gave Israel $38 billion dollars this year (and have given them about that every year for a while)..
This aid package starts in FY 2019, so it was not given last year or any previous year.

Better?
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 09:52 AM
  #99  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
One step at a time:


The aid package is not simply a cash transfer. A large portion is loan guarantees and other assurances that returns value to the US.
What value does Israel provide us?

The aid package is for $38B over the next 10 years. That would be an average of $3.8B per year.
Should be zero over every year ad infinitum. Same as with all other countries who's friendship we pay for.

The aid package starts in FY2019 (So, technically, we are 3 months into "this year") (Guessing you only got this right by accident)
This doesn't change the point of what I am saying here.

U.S. Foreign Aid to Israel [April 10, 2018]

"Israel is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign assistance since World War II. To date, the United States has provided Israel $134.7 billion (current, or noninflation-adjusted, dollars) in bilateral assistance and missile defense funding."

So that is 134.7 billion over ~70 years that Israel has been a country, which is nearly $2 billion a year. Every year. What do we get for that?

I'm not anti-Israel or anything like that, but we don't need to finance them for zero return. Also, it really bothers me to see people like Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein falling over themselves to give money to Israel to secure their borders, meanwhile telling us dumb goyim we can't secure our borders because it costs money and... reasons...
G_Money is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 10:20 AM
  #100  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
What value does Israel provide us?.
Value returned to us. (I'll stick to the purely financial, as we can all argue the issues of security)
1) Purchase of US manufactured goods and services.
2) Loans/loan guarantees to US based companies operating in Israel.
3) Return on loans made to Israel and Israeli companies.
4) Technological advances provided to the US (and the world)

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
Should be zero over every year ad infinitum. ..
We were discussing facts not opinions.

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
Same as with all other countries who's friendship we pay for....
It is far more than "friendship".

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
This doesn't change the point of what I am saying here....
As long as you are not trying to say it with false "facts".

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
U.S. Foreign Aid to Israel [April 10, 2018]

"Israel is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign assistance since World War II. To date, the United States has provided Israel $134.7 billion (current, or noninflation-adjusted, dollars) in bilateral assistance and missile defense funding."

So that is 134.7 billion over ~70 years that Israel has been a country, which is nearly $2 billion a year. Every year. What do we get for that?.
Well to start with the vast majority comes right back to the US in IDF military spending on US produced goods and services.

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
I'm not anti-Israel or anything like that,...
Then you probably should not use the tactics of those who are.

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
but we don't need to finance them for zero return. .
As I already said, you assertion of "Zero Return" is factually inaccurate (not even considering security issues)

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
Also, it really bothers me to see people like Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein falling over themselves to give money to Israel to secure their borders, meanwhile telling us dumb goyim we can't secure our borders because it costs money and... reasons...
And here we agree!
N_Jay is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Crowdfunding the "People's Wall"


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: