Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > General Forums > Off Topic > Political Discussions
Crowdfunding the "People's Wall" >

Crowdfunding the "People's Wall"

Notices
Political Discussions Use this forum to discuss politics, religion, and other controversial subjects. Respect for your peers is mandatory.

Crowdfunding the "People's Wall"

 
Old 12-20-2018, 07:51 AM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Crowdfunding the "People's Wall"

We The People Will Fund The Wall

It's at nearly $3 million right now, when I first saw it last night, it was only at $1.2 million! The lefties are already in a full panic about this one ha...

If our president can't get past the obstructionist congress, we, the people, will fund the wall! Personally, I am waiting for the Treasury Wall Bonds, I'll be buying a few.

I, personally, can't wait for that big, beautiful wall, how about you guys!?
G_Money is online now  
Old 12-20-2018, 12:54 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Crossed $5M
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 01:17 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
This is dumb. The thing I'll say the gofundme campaign does is goes to show just how much support there is for the wall but it'll never reach the actual cost of the wall. Oh, and um, taxes.... We don't like taxes! So despite paying them lets give the government more money and aid further in the dysfunction of how our taxes are used.

Unless this money was going directly to a private company to construct the wall, which, it isn't.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 01:29 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
This is dumb. The thing I'll say the gofundme campaign does is goes to show just how much support there is for the wall but it'll never reach the actual cost of the wall. Oh, and um, taxes.... We don't like taxes! So despite paying them lets give the government more money and aid further in the dysfunction of how our taxes are used.

Unless this money was going directly to a private company to construct the wall, which, it isn't.
1) It is a firm demonstration of public support
This is important s the (so called) News plays down public opinion substituting their own opinion.
2) There are plenty of public projects that have private funding methods.
3) This makes far more sense than buying "lottery tickets" to fund education.
N_Jay is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Jay For This Useful Post:
Supermax! (12-29-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:51 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
$5.5M
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:34 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
$6M
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:38 PM
  #7  
srh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ML 350, GL 350, Honda CRV
It's over $6m
srh is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:14 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Das Geld 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,303
Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
SL55, S500
This is one of the greatest crowdfunds ever
Das Geld 2 is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:34 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
$6.6M
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 04:56 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
1) It is a firm demonstration of public support
This is important s the (so called) News plays down public opinion substituting their own opinion.
2) There are plenty of public projects that have private funding methods.
3) This makes far more sense than buying "lottery tickets" to fund education.
1. As I said, it shows the public's interest/desire to have a wall.
2. Name one privately funded project that cost $25 billion (https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trum...a-statistician)
---> "To put that in perspective, we could give 50,000 small businesses $500,000 each to get their businesses up and running."
3. So?

Again, I agree the gofundme has a purpose in showing the desire for the wall. However, to even suggest the wall can be paid for through it is ridiculous. I understand nobody has said the gofundme will fund the whole wall, but even getting this thing to support 1% of the wall would be pretty incredible.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 05:30 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
$7.6M
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 05:32 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
1. As I said, it shows the public's interest/desire to have a wall.
2. Name one privately funded project that cost $25 billion (https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trum...a-statistician)
---> "To put that in perspective, we could give 50,000 small businesses $500,000 each to get their businesses up and running."
3. So?

Again, I agree the gofundme has a purpose in showing the desire for the wall. However, to even suggest the wall can be paid for through it is ridiculous. I understand nobody has said the gofundme will fund the whole wall, but even getting this thing to support 1% of the wall would be pretty incredible.
How much has been spent by lotter ticket buyers for "education" and other (supposed) public goods?
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 06:22 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Looks like a decent average to your lottery conundrum is about 25% to education which is about $20 billion a year.

Now this is the part where you tell me why any of that matters here? Again, so what? Unless you're saying that the wall is more important than education and the lottery money should be instead put towards the wall. Or simply just making a point that people spend money on the lottery so who cares if they spend it on the wall?

Doesn't matter where they spend their money. I bet people do BOTH the lottery and gofundme. At least when they play the lottery they have a chance of getting something out of it.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 06:52 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Tbh the wall is more important than education at this point. In 40 years when your kid or grandkids cant get jobs, even with years and hundreds of thousands spent on their education, because they are competing with the entire third world for job opportunities they'll wish we had built that wall instead of playing the lottery...

And you think you're chances of actually getting something are better with the lottery than a wall? That's a little... Short-sighted... to say the least...

Last edited by G_Money; 12-20-2018 at 07:37 PM.
G_Money is online now  
Old 12-20-2018, 06:58 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
At least when they play the lottery they have a chance of getting something out of it.
I you missed that fact that lots of people consider the wall as "getting something of value" also.
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 07:11 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 07:37 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
$8.6M
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
I you missed that fact that lots of people consider the wall as "getting something of value" also.
Well at least with that $9 million it's at now or whatever we can get a few hundred feet.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 08:20 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
$9M

Looks like we are doing $5k to $10K per minute.

Last edited by N_Jay; 12-20-2018 at 08:25 PM.
N_Jay is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 10:24 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
Well at least with that $9 million it's at now or whatever we can get a few hundred feet.
Regardless of whatever happens with this, it will force the rest of our obstructionist elected officials to come to terms with the fact that people really want a damn wall. The fact that people have raised $10 million in 3 days for a "government" project, outside of paying taxes or buying regular bonds or whatever, is a pretty powerful statement.
G_Money is online now  
Old 12-20-2018, 10:49 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4,510
Thanked 429 Times in 288 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
Regardless of whatever happens with this, it will force the rest of our obstructionist elected officials to come to terms with the fact that people really want a damn wall. The fact that people have raised $10 million in 3 days for a "government" project, outside of paying taxes or buying regular bonds or whatever, is a pretty powerful statement.
We'll see how high it actually goes as things fade. If it hits $100mil I'd be surprised. Yes, it says something. But $100mil gets you about 5 miles worth of wall.

For that $25 billion you can put an additional 8,300 agents on the border, at an average salary of $60k/yr, for the next 50 years... That's not including the estimated $150mil-$750mil in annual maintenance (which wouldn't happen anyway). I want to emphasize I'm working off estimates here but focus on the realistic and/or lower end. After all, some have the wall costing $70 billion.

My prediction is that this will all taper and go nowhere. I do agree though, it definitely makes a statement. I fear that's all it'll do.
CarHopper is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 11:35 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
PatrixUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 1,615
Thanked 57 Times in 53 Posts
2014 E350 W212
^ ^ agreed... probably won't amount to much in the end (sadly)... but the symbolism of "we the people" taking action into our own hands is refreshing (and about damn time)... as for priorities (education vs national security (wall))... doesn't do a whole lot of good to be education if you're dead / hurt / fearful / etc., ... (extreme but you get the point)... i'd rather be dumb and breathing than smart but dead...

btw... up to 10.4M as of this posting...
PatrixUSA is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 12:44 AM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
G_Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 1,277
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by CarHopper View Post
My prediction is that this will all taper and go nowhere. I do agree though, it definitely makes a statement. I fear that's all it'll do.
I hope you are wrong. I think a lot of people are getting upset about the lack of action on securing the border and clamping down on immigration. It's getting to a tipping point, as unfortunately it seems like many things are.
G_Money is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 04:44 AM
  #24  
Super Member
 
rustybear3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Cleveland area
Posts: 934
Thanked 82 Times in 74 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
Nobody wants that stupid wall! 69% two thirds of Americans Donít Think Trump's Border Wall Is a Priority, http://fortune.com/2018/12/12/trump-border-wall-poll/ Americans are tired of Trump disciples that want to waste our hard earned tax money. Let them go to Mexico and get it like lying Trump promised over and over. Just because Mexico told you to f**k yourselves doesn't mean they shouldn't stop trying....like Trump said, they will pay for the wall. And please, none of that figurative bull crap either. Americans are tired of alternate reality. This lying, corrupt Despot makes promises and lies every single day about something or other, only to be supported come heaven or hell by his pathetic disciples.

They only thing that I agree to is that you pay for it out of your own private pockets. Good luck on reaching that 25 billion.

p.s. I hope you kids and grand kids enjoy their below minimum wage migrant farm working jobs. I'm sure their clamoring to fill in those positions that immigrants are selfishly taking. To put this worthless wall over your children's health and education is unbelievable!

rustybear3 is online now  
Old 12-21-2018, 05:04 AM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,945
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
Nobody wants that stupid wall! 69% two thirds of Americans Donít Think Trump's Border Wall Is a Priority, http://fortune.com/2018/12/12/trump-border-wall-poll/ Americans are tired of Trump disciples that want to waste our hard earned tax money. Let them go to Mexico and get it like lying Trump promised over and over. Just because Mexico told you to f**k yourselves doesn't mean they shouldn't stop trying....like Trump said, they will pay for the wall. And please, none of that figurative bull crap either. Americans are tired of alternate reality. This lying, corrupt Despot makes promises and lies every single day about something or other, only to be supported come heaven or hell by his pathetic disciples.

They only thing that I agree to is that you pay for it out of your own private pockets. Good luck on reaching that 25 billion.

p.s. I hope you kids and grand kids enjoy their below minimum wage migrant farm working jobs. I'm sure their clamoring to fill in those positions that immigrants are selfishly taking. To put this worthless wall over your children's health and education is unbelievable!
You write the poll to get the answer you want. Nothing new!
N_Jay is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Crowdfunding the "People's Wall"


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: