R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

AutoSaurus spies R Class in Alabama

Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
AutoSaurus spies R Class in Alabama

AutoSaurus shot pictures yesterday of a Production R Class in Birmingham, Alabama. He spoke with the driver (factory rep) and he indicated production started last week and should be full in a week or two. Thanks Jack for the pictures and the inside information!

I have posted his images on this site:

http://members.***.net/jhmclean

Here is one of the pictures (note the folding mirrors):

Old 05-23-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 Sedan
Thanks NJ for posting/hosting those for me.

Here's a brief summary of my trip:

Drove 70 miles out of the way home Sunday just to see if I could spot anything new. I hadn't been on the road 20 minutes before I spotted a black R going the opposite direction towards Atlanta on I-20 near Six Flags. What excitment came over me. My wife thinks I'm nuts!

About 45 minutes later I spot a truck load of new Dodge Chargers heading towards Birmingham as I was. Approached them and found they had "manufacturer" plates on them. I guess they were for testing or reviews since they're not going to be hitting dealer lots until later this month.

Then just before B'ham I passed a new Maybach! Cool.

Made it to Birmingham and stopped at a local grocery store to pick up a few snacks for the final 4.5 hour drive home. When I pull up a man, woman and young girl are getting out of the silver R500 you saw. I almost had a heart attack. It was crazy. It was truely a great auto moment. I waited for them to walk in the store before I took my photos. Then, we went in and I kept my eyes on that family the whole time. Thank goodness it was still early and the store wasn't busy. They looked like they were either coming from or going to church by their clothing this early Sunday morning (Bible belt remember). We were ready to checkout and as we were finishing the family came to the checkout lane beside us. We exited slowly as to allow optimum oppportunity for them to see us looking at the car and maybe allow us to talk. It worked! They were in a slight hurry but I got to see inside the car from the rear hatch with all the seats up. Not much room behind 3rd row though.

The rep (male) had just gotten this R earlier in the week. He told me that production starts this week full blast. His was still a test car but yet full production ready. It was loaded. Had full glass roof and contour seats, etc. But not a 2nd row center console for some reason.

The wife commented on how roomy it was but he was still getting used to how long it is. They said their kids loved it. He also brought home a ML a few months back and they said they liked the R better. Again the wife commented on better quality materials and how we would like our new ML over the last one. He was also impressed with the power of the 500 too.

Overall it looked great. I'm sold on it for late 2006 to replace my Toyota Sienna that I love. From the inside of the grocery store it stood out in the parking lot; very aggressive and sporty looking. This R had 18" wheels. They didn't look that small either. One negative thing I did find were the seats appeared very narrow for some reason or another. The 3rd row seat looks like it is 60/40 vs 50/50 too. Also it had the new sky view or whatever they are calling now.

I loved the aggressive lines of the hood too. Very deep looking.

The folding side mirrors should be standard as they are on the 06 ML.

If anyone wants to see a new R before they come out this Fall then I suggest a trip to Birmingham for your viewing pleasure.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:45 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
The apparent blue tint of the interior is due to the very heavy tint of the windows, right? Please tell me that M-B isn't offering a light blue interior on this car. If the actual interior color is white (or Stone, or Ash) it probably won't be all that popular in a vehicle destined for family use.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
That is an Ash interior and because of the time of day, it looks blue. As far as I know the interiors will be Ash, a Beige called something, Charcoal and perhaps Black. Most of the Mercedes have about the same color options inside and the ones available don'e seem to effect family decisions. I guess if there is concern over a light color then the Charcoal and Black must be there choices. The ML has the same interior colors and that is definitely aimed at families.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by DWP
The apparent blue tint of the interior is due to the very heavy tint of the windows, right? Please tell me that M-B isn't offering a light blue interior on this car. If the actual interior color is white (or Stone, or Ash) it probably won't be all that popular in a vehicle destined for family use.
This one was iridium silver and ash interior. very traditional. blue tint is from the sport pkg I'm sure.