Final Configuration for my new R Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Final Configuration for my new R Class

Well I have nailed down the final details for the build of my new R Class. It is scheduled to be built September 7th and I should have delivery in approximately 7 to 21 days after. I will drive from Las Vegas. NV to Gulfport, MS, trade my E320 Sport and drive away in my new R500 in Iridium Silver with Ash Leather/Burl Walnut interior. The Option List follows:

Comfort Package (Folding Mirrors, Auto-dimming mirrors, Cargo Cover)
Trim Package (Exterior Chrome Trim, Interior Ambient Light Pkg)
Lighting Package-B-Xenon Lights (Active Light Sys.,Cornering Fog Lamps)
Premium Package (Panorama Sunroof,COMAND DVD Nav,HK Sound,PowerTailgate,Power Rear Quarter Windows)
Airmatic Air Suspension Package (ADS-Adaptive Damping Sys.)
Multicontour Seats (Driver /Passenger)
Thermotronic Climate Control (4 Zone Climate Control, Infrared Glass)
Parktronic
Wood Leather Steering Wheel
CD Changer (In Glove Compartment)
Rear Seat Center Console
Keyless Go
Heated Front Seats
Sirius Satellite Radio
iPOD Integration Kit
18" 5 Twin Spoke Alloy Wheels

The nice thing about this deal (at this point) is I don't know what it is going to cost me since MB had not announced final pricing of the Options and the Base Price is not yet known. I estimate the MSRP to be about $74,000.

So the long wait since they announced the concept in 2002 is over. I will continue to post information as it becomes available. Happy days coming

Old 06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Wow, that sure is one pricey minivan but I am sure the family will love it! Definitely looks better than any Odyssey or Sienna you see at the soccer fields. Your wife will be the envy of the neighborhood moms.

Congrats!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
Wow, that sure is one pricey minivan but I am sure the family will love it! Definitely looks better than any Odyssey or Sienna you see at the soccer fields. Your wife will be the envy of the neighborhood moms.

Congrats!
Hi Samoan...just me, no one else. At my age I won't mind being the "envy of the neighborhood moms." :-))))

I am looking forward to delivery...
Old 06-30-2005, 02:45 PM

2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Hi Samoan...just me, no one else. At my age I won't mind being the "envy of the neighborhood moms." :-))))
Don't come a knockin' if this van's a rockin!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JackStraw
Don't come a knockin' if this van's a rockin!
lol...don't I wish...:-)
Old 06-30-2005, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Color selection has been difficult and tonight I found a shot in Pewter...the same as my current E Class. I did not want the same color but I am convinced that Pewter is a great color and I will modify my order to get the R Class in Pewter.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Autospies has some new info about the introduction and the base prices.

R350- $48,000 (plus $775 destination charge)
R500- $55,500 (plus $775 destination charge)
Old 06-30-2005, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's the link

http://autospies.com/article/index.a...&categoryId=11
Old 06-30-2005, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ima55r2
Just got my copy and if it is accurate...I just saved $4500 off my estimated price for the R500...for figuring purposes I was using $60000...this is great news!!!!

Thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Autospies has some new info about the introduction and the base prices.

R350- $48,000 (plus $775 destination charge)
R500- $55,500 (plus $775 destination charge)
I already got my promo email from MB telling me I will be able to price within the coming weeks that jives with the program AutoSpies has copies of.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So you have to wait for the car until the retail launch in September?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So you have to wait for the car until the retail launch in September?
Since my build date is September 7th, the car will probably take 7-21 days (it could be less or more) to reach the dealer (factory is only 4 hours away from my dealer). I would imagine I will get one of the first R500's. From my understanding there were only 5 allocations nationwide for the R500 in August so that put my car in the very early cycle.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320
Hmm...the R is turning out to be quite expensive -- even a decently configured R350 is going to cost at least $60k out the door, which is very high compared to the ML (especially the 163, but that's besides the point).

If the 350 MSRP is $48k, that's an $8k spike over the ML350 MSRP. The R's interior is nice, but I don't know if one more seat, quirky exterior styling, and a lower body are worth the ~$10k (practically speaking) jump over the ML, at least IMO...
Old 07-01-2005, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mbakshi
Hmm...the R is turning out to be quite expensive -- even a decently configured R350 is going to cost at least $60k out the door, which is very high compared to the ML (especially the 163, but that's besides the point).

If the 350 MSRP is $48k, that's an $8k spike over the ML350 MSRP. The R's interior is nice, but I don't know if one more seat, quirky exterior styling, and a lower body are worth the ~$10k (practically speaking) jump over the ML, at least IMO...
From the beginning, MB indicated that the R Class would fall above the ML and below the E Class in price so the base pricing levels do not surprise me. And I agree that the R Class will be an expensive vehicle when "nicely outfitted" with such a large option list.

As far as making a quicky, simpified comparison between the two as to the increase value of the R over the ML being justified, all I can say is drive them and compare. If you still feel that way then buy the ML and save the $10,000.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 AM

I bet the two are going to drive very similarly. It really comes down to seating capacity. If you do not need room for 5-6, there is no reason to consider the R-- there are plenty of premium vehicles from many different manufacturers that can seat four in comfort and style.

I encourage you to sit in the middle of the rear seat in the ML and see whether you still feel that it seats 5. Pretty darn uncomfortable if you ask me-- I say it is a four seater.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bet the two are going to drive very similarly. It really comes down to seating capacity. If you do not need room for 5-6, there is no reason to consider the R-- there are plenty of premium vehicles from many different manufacturers that can seat four in comfort and style.

I encourage you to sit in the middle of the rear seat in the ML and see whether you still feel that it seats 5. Pretty darn uncomfortable if you ask me-- I say it is a four seater.
Hey Jack...are you saying that seating capacity is the only reason for selecting the ML or the R?
That may be one reason but the two cars are totally different in looks, style, interior design, size, weight, etc. As far as the ride similarity, that is also open to question at this point and I hope some magazine will do a test with each. The R weighs about 200 pounds more than the ML and it is about 15" longer, as well as being 6" lower so that has to have some effect on the ride qualities. I understand where you are coming from but "no reason to consider the R" based on seating capacity alone is a reach.
I hope I interpreted your remarks correctly....:-)
Old 07-01-2005, 02:53 PM

I stand behind my assertion. The underpinnings of the ML, the R and soon the new G are essentially the same. Yes, the R and the G have a longer wheelbase than the ML, but I bet the ride on comparably equipped models will be very similar. A couple hundred pounds in a vehicle that weighs over 4500 lbs isn't going to make that much of a difference in the dynamics. Based on reviews of the new ML, I have high hopes for the R.

Maybe I am generalizing too much from my own situation, but I would not consider buying the R if I didn't need room for more than four (apologies for use of the double negative). The world is your oyster if you need to seat only four. The number of choices is almost mind-numbing, with the ML being just one of many possibilities.

If you need to seat 5 or more, welcome to the world of the minivan my friend. Sure some sporty SUVs seat 7, but they leave little room for storage when the 3rd row is up and I have yet to sit in one in which the legroom in the third row is adequate, and I'm not even that tall. Or you can go the route of a Chevy Suburban or similar vehicles, but I am not inclined drive a large truck in the city.

As for styling, the designers did a pretty good job with the R, except for the front end as I have pointed out earlier. Styling is not what drew me to the R though. It was a combination of functionality, comfort and horsepower. In terms of practicality and price, the Honda Odyssey Touring has the R beat. The Odyssey lacks the refinement, comfort and styling though.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well stated Jack. I really could use a one-seater based on my life right now. But seating capacity is kind of irrelevant to me. I had several MB wagons in the past and almost purchase a 2006 E350 wagon but decided to wait for the R Class. I like you could never get excited over a SUV

I really just see the R as a bigger more vesatile wagon with a new style and look so I am buying it. I have never picked a car for it's practicality and price...if I had I would never have experienced the many MB's I have driven through the years.

I think your and I are coming from the same direction on the R Class...something different with a lot of nice goodies and technical features.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:13 PM

You and I are probably the only ones in the world who put down deposits for the "Vision GST" back in 2002!

I can't recommend any one-seaters, but I really enjoy my 2 seat SL.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You and I are probably the only ones in the world who put down deposits for the "Vision GST" back in 2002!

I can't recommend any one-seaters, but I really enjoy my 2 seat SL.
You got that right! I have been keeping this forum alive and hopefully as the PR builds for the R there will be more interest.

I just talked with my dealer..all the September builds are what they call "Factory Forced" builds and the vehicles can not be altered. We could not find one with my specs so that means my build date will shift to first decade in October...:-(

One September car was perfect...it had all the options I wanted except for the Lighting Pkg! What bean counter figured that listing out...I can't imagine not ordering the car without the Bi-Xenon option...? Anyway, October is the new date and BTW, the base pricing is accurate as posted earlier by AutoSpies.

I owned 3 SL's and my wife (rest her soul) loved them.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I updated my spec list to include the Rear Seat Entertainment Package. It includes the Rear Seat Console as part of the package.