R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R350 Sirius radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 MB S550
R350 Sirius radio

I bought a 2007 R350 and the Mercedes dealer added a Sirius radio. I was previously a XM subscriber and was disappointed with the Sirius channel lineup that came with the radio (No PGA tour, MLB, etc.). I called Sirius (took an hour to get through) and they said they had a "Best of XM" upgrade that would satisfy my desires but my radio (installed by Mercedes) could not be upgraded. Are all Mercedes Sirius radios unable to upgrade or did I get a cheap add on radio? Any advice welcome.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by thr_32034
I bought a 2007 R350 and the Mercedes dealer added a Sirius radio. I was previously a XM subscriber and was disappointed with the Sirius channel lineup that came with the radio (No PGA tour, MLB, etc.). I called Sirius (took an hour to get through) and they said they had a "Best of XM" upgrade that would satisfy my desires but my radio (installed by Mercedes) could not be upgraded. Are all Mercedes Sirius radios unable to upgrade or did I get a cheap add on radio? Any advice welcome.
Your 2007 R class was made before the XM/Sirius merger, so the radio itself can't handle the XM signal. It will however handle a best of XM which is put out over an old Sirius channel which can be received by pre-existing Sirius radios. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm not even sure the radios in the 2010 models can even handle the XM signal, so just upgrading to a new radio unit might not fix that problem. The new models do however have the HD Radio option (P1), which is better quality and gives you your local news, but you have to suffer through commercials (although XM/Sirius still have just as many commercials, but instead of being for local businesses they are for other channels or contests on XM/Sirius) and the signal doesn't stay with you every where you go.

So your best option will most likely be a stand alone XM radio unit if you still want to go the XM route.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:39 PM

2007 R-500
Sirius/XM Alternative

Originally Posted by thr_32034
If you have a blackberry or iPhone or other phone that can connect to the internet, check out www.pandora.com. Pandora is a free application that can play any music you choose. You can program it online or through the application on your phone. With the R-Class, connect it to the AUX jack in the glovebox. Choose AUX from COMAND and listen to your selections. I've used it over a 5-day roundtrip from DC to Tallahassee and back, never having to listen to the local stations unless I chose to. If music only is your preference, it represents a fantastic option.

JR
Old 06-25-2010, 04:14 PM

R350 Mercedes Benz
Which oil extractor is best for the Mercedes R350?