R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Air struts down, can I still drive it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 09:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R350 Bluetec
Air struts down, can I still drive it?

2013 R350 BlueTec 4Matic, 100kkm, Toronto. Every morning I see the car is sitting low in the front, so I guess at least one of the front air struts is leaking. I don't want to work on now so I keep the car in my garage.

I normally order parts in FCP Euro, but shipping plus import fee (I never understand why there is an import fee from US to Canada. Where is this free trade?!). So this year for my X5 suspensions, I shipped to my friend's home and pick them myself when I was on vacation, saved me $500+ USD. I want to do the same again next Summer for R350.

Now my question is: Can I drive it next Summer for a 2000km trip to US? How bad can it be?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2022, 11:41 PM

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 R500
Depends on the size of the leak. A slow leak, probably little issue. A fast one and you risk burning out your compressor. Of course there's also always the chance of the bag bursting while you're driving.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:31 AM

R350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Tsumi
Depends on the size of the leak. A slow leak, probably little issue. A fast one and you risk burning out your compressor. Of course there's also always the chance of the bag bursting while you're driving.
Forgot to say it just happened since last month, right now it will come up and level itself every time I unlock the car/open the door/start the car. It drives ok and can't feel any difference. So if I don't touch it during the whole winter (has a "Genius 1" battery maintainer attached), then it won't burn the compressor? How dangerous it is if the bag bursts while driving? Seems I need to check the size of leak before take it for a long trip.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:20 PM

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 R500
How dangerous it is depends on what you are doing at the time it bursts. If it's while traveling in a straight line, chances are low an accident will happen. If it's while taking a turn at high speed, things can get dicey. In all likelihood you will be fine but there is that 1% chance you won't be.
The following users liked this post:
hujirong (12-19-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 07:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Try buying in canada. Wrenchmonkey and PartsAvatar carries Arnot and other brand air struts. I got my rear air bags from them a few years ago.
good prices too
and btw, there is not much if any duties anymore on stuff made in NA. Your import charges are due to brokerage fees, plus sales tax.
I have stopped buying from RockAuto because of that. I used to have them ship to Messina but there are enough good priced suppliers in canada now, between wrenchmonkey and PartsAvatar, and on occasion at GermanParts.ca.. when they have sales.

Last edited by efzauner; 12-20-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:00 PM

R350 Bluetec
I started from Rockauto.com too, but later found their parts doesn't work well with German cars. Then I found FCP Euro has the best service. I can just give them my VIN, and they will find the right parts for me, and replies in one day! And they have kits too which makes my life a lot easier. Ever since then, I ordered all my German car parts from them.

Found both in Parts Avatar, a lot cheaper than FCP Euro too. I will try to order parts from them.
https://partsavatar.ca/arnott-suspen...r-strut-as2833
https://partsavatar.ca/arnott-air-spring-a2597

Thanks for the information!

Last edited by hujirong; 12-28-2022 at 11:20 AM.