MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   R-Class (W251) (https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w251-70/)
-   -   Just bought my first MB yesterday! Not good so far! (https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w251/619351-just-bought-my-first-mb-yesterday-not-good-so-far.html)

tyduckycody 03-31-2016 10:01 PM

I double checked the power going into the sam and it did have power yet the front and rear fuse boxes didn't have power to the front sam fuse. I went on to "just answers" site and got help from a tech named Marty who told me to bypass relay H in the front fuse box and the damn car finally started! I didn't have power to the Windows and locks though but having it start was a huge step! That confirmed to me that my keys do indeed work. We also jumped relay N in the rear fuse box but that really didn't do anything. He's going to continue helping me tomorrow. I'll give an update when I figure out more! ~Sandy

JonMac 03-31-2016 10:04 PM

Nice! best of luck tomorrow :)

tyduckycody 04-05-2016 08:47 PM

I have the most awesome tech from Just Answers.com. I was still struggling with the car not starting after we jumped the relay. Marty suggested I get a new rear Sam. So I ordered one with the same numbers off of eBay. Installed it but no luck... It's been bugging me for days so I went out and put the original front Sam in and the original rear Sam in. When I was plugging in the rear Sam I noticed the back light came on. I thought it was a fluke. I then tried jumping the relays again and wouldn't you know it, it started again. I couldn't get it out of park though... So I asked Marty and he said to pull fuse 111 (sorry I don't know what it's for at the moment) and reinstall it and sure enough it went into drive and I was able to get it in the garage! No more playing in the snow! We then put the relays back in but it wouldn't start. Good enough for now I thought as I had to run to work. Got back from work and the hubby was in the garage I no sooner walked through the door when he said the car dinged and the interior lights came on. For no reason mind you... I went out to the car and was surprised to see the dash said to remove the key. It knew it was in there. I picked up the smart key and tried the door locks and they worked! I then tried to start it and it started right up! I know I need to reset the Windows so I rolled down the front and passenger Windows but they rolled up slowly and in short bursts. So I thought that was enough for the moment. I went in the house and my husband tried to open the door (which I knew I left open) and it was locked. He grabbed the back door and it set off the alarm. It seems like it is slowly coming back to life. I'd love an explanation of this... I now have both original SAMs in it and it seems to be reprogramming itself.

JonMac 04-06-2016 12:39 AM

The original front sam that you posted the pics of? the one that looks like a toasted marshmallow with green trim?
I'm amazed that thing would still be working and I suspect that not all the components that it's connected to is going to behave properly... but given that it's slowly getting there, don't give up :)

tyduckycody 04-06-2016 09:08 AM

I cleaned it with alcohol per my nephews suggestion. He actually builds circuit boards where he works. I felt it was toast too so I did order a new one. But when I put it in, nothing new happened which made me think the old one all cleaned up might be fine. I may put the new in it yet but am going to see what Betty (name of the car now) decides to do today...