R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Tailgate opening on its own and won't close fully!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R class
Tailgate opening on its own and won't close fully!

just wanted to say thank you in advance since I've gotten a lot of useful information from these forums before actually signing up. I have a 2007 r350 which I purchased used 2 years ago. I don't have any warranty being that it had over 100k miles. The vehicle now has 135k and to be honest I haven't had any major issues with this vehicle besides replacing the power steering pump in the 2 years I've owned it so it's been very good to me. But this afternoon I jumped in my car and the tailgate opened on its own. I didn't think nothing of so I closed it back up. A few seconds later right before I pulled out of the parking it opened again, now this time I couldn't close it with the trunk button located on the drivers door. I tried to close it by hitting the button on the actual tailgate but it didn't close so I had to manually push the tailgate down but it did not close fully because I didn't get that last squeeze the tailgate gives at the end. This has been happening all day now and I can't even drive the vehicle because it continues to open on its own and when I hit the button on the drivers door sometimes it'll act like it's going to close and go down but it'll stop halfway down and make 3 grinding noises. Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Agonzalez200; 12-31-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Did you read this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...e-failure.html

Originally Posted by Agonzalez200
just wanted to say thank you in advance since I've gotten a lot of useful information from these forums before actually signing up. I have a 2007 r350 which I purchased used 2 years ago. I don't have any warranty being that it had over 100k miles. The vehicle now has 135k and to be honest I haven't had any major issues with this vehicle besides replacing the power steering pump in the 2 years I've owned it so it's been very good to me. But this afternoon I jumped in my car and the tailgate opened on its own. I didn't think nothing of so I closed it back up. A few seconds later right before I pulled out of the parking it opened again, now this time I couldn't close it with the trunk button located on the drivers door. I tried to close it by hitting the button on the actual tailgate but it didn't close so I had to manually push the tailgate down but it did not close fully because I didn't get that last squeeze the tailgate gives at the end. This has been happening all day now and I can't even drive the vehicle because it continues to open on its own and when I hit the button on the drivers door sometimes it'll act like it's going to close and go down but it'll stop halfway down and make 3 grinding noises. Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R350
Originally Posted by Agonzalez200
did you solve this mystery? .. i had some phantom opening and closing of the trunk today on a 2006 r350