R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Here is how to replace rear tail light on R350 - taillight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Here is how to replace rear tail light on R350 - taillight

Passing along a quick DIY as I could not find guidance elsewhere when my wife needed her taillight housing replaced. This is a 1 difficulty out of 10 so barely deserves a write up, but hopefully if you are like me and always dig for ideas before starting a job, this will get you out to your garage and have the housing replaced pretty quick.

So really you just open your trunk and then open the tail light access panel from within the cargo/trunk area. If you own one of these cars I'm guessing you are well familiar with that access panel each time you must reseat a bulb to get it turned on again (about 2x a year for me). I've attached an image of this panel. Once open you will have easy access to the three nuts you must remove. I have attached an image of the housing with the location of the nuts that need removed as well as an image of the installed housing with just where two of those can be seen.

Once you remove the nuts, you will then remove the wide plug going into the housing. For the 2008 there was only one plug to remove but your year may require another plug to be removed. Once the plug is out just pop out the inner part of the housing first by tapping on it (inner side being the corner closest to middle of vehicle). Light will come out easily.

Reinstall is opposite. As all things with the 4 MBs I've owned this once again was an easy job (everything seems easier to fix on these cars than other makes I've owned). Not much to it, thought this might help someone out by seeing/knowing how easy it is.