R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Converting R Class Halogen to Factory Bi=Xenon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes R350
Converting R Class Halogen to Factory Bi=Xenon

I had been looking everywhere for how to do this in a 2011 R Class. I thought I would try and piece together informations from different vehicles and different websites and try and figure this one out myself. First off, I'm sure you all know how awful the factory Halogens function. I also installed some aftermarket Xenon bulbs with 55W Ballasts and Cancellers, which worked fine but the look wasn't what I was going for. So, I purchased (2) factory Mercedes Bi-Xenon headlights off ebay and gave it a shot.

From what I was able to do in an afternoon this process was quite simple. First off, if you find the factory Bi-Xenon headlights with the ballast and bulbs in tact, it is a 4-6 hour job. You do not need to take off the bumper but it is easier. Once you remove the halogen headlight you need to add a ground wire to the pin location next to the RED/WHITE wire. The one below the green plug in the attached pic. You can get the female receptacles at Mercedes. Then you need to purchase a 4700mf 25-35V capacitor. Connect the + side to the low beam + headlight wire and the - side to chassis ground. The wire on the drivers side is a different color but same pin location. That's it. So far mine has been working great but I think my passenger side Xenon light has a defective motor that runs the high beam adaption. I am ordering a replacement. Any questions feel free to contact me. I did not even attempt to connect leveling and cornering.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c250
Bi xenon to halogen

[QUOTE=x05179x;7373145]

I had been looking everywhere for how to do this in a 2011 R Class. I thought I would try and piece together informations from different vehicles and different websites and try and figure this one out myself. First off, I'm sure you all know how awful the factory Halogens function. I also installed some aftermarket Xenon bulbs with 55W Ballasts and Cancellers, which worked fine but the look wasn't what I was going for. So, I purchased (2) factory Mercedes Bi-Xenon headlights off ebay and gave it a shot.

From what I was able to do in an afternoon this process was quite simple. First off, if you find the factory Bi-Xenon headlights with the ballast and bulbs in tact, it is a 4-6 hour job. You do not need to take off the bumper but it is easier. Once you remove the halogen headlight you need to add a ground wire to the pin location next to the RED/WHITE wire. The one below the green plug in the attached pic. You can get the female receptacles at Mercedes. Then you need to purchase a 4700mf 25-35V capacitor. Connect the + side to the low beam + headlight wire and the - side to chassis ground. The wire on the drivers side is a different color but same pin location. That's it. So far mine has been working great but I think my passenger side Xenon light has a defective motor that runs the high beam adaption. I am ordering a replacement. Any questions feel free to contact me. I did not even attempt to connect leveling and cornering.

Hi, so have you converted from xenon to halogen or the other way around ? They original question on the post was how to change from xenon to halogen. I'm having the same problem I installed halogen after markets to my factory xenon set up and now they are throwing codes on turn signals
Old 01-15-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 R500
Headlight type shouldn't have any effect on the turn signals. Are they working properly? Are the turn signals LED or halogen?

That said, why would you replace the factory xenon headlights with halogen ones? If it was because they were dim, I have a thread on how to replace the projectors.