R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R320 CV boot clamps and upper control arm nut, that drive me nuts!

Old 10-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB R320 2009
R320 CV boot clamps and upper control arm nut, that drive me nuts!

Hi there,
recently one of front springs gave up on our 2009 R320 diesel. I was able to buy used struts and replaced CV boots as well because one of them was cracked with traces of grease outside.
In the process of replacement, which is not so complicated (I have some links to posts describing the process with pics if anyone interested) I encountered two complications - CV boot clamps and upper control arm nut that holds the joint in place.
I have damaged one CV boots clamp that came with replacement boots and no aftermarket clamp worked at all.
So, If anyone have experienced the same problem - where to buy reliable CV boot clamps that will work on MB boots. I suspect the difference is in the width - MB is around 10mm and aftermarket is 4-6 mm wide.

Another problem is upper control arm nut. It did not want to go off, so I had to remove locking part of it - some kind of skirt on the free end. I am looking for used nut or size info - to buy a new one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB R320 2009
Looks like I found exact match to MB R320 CV front outer boot clamps
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-934-03636.aspx

Just in case anyone is looking to replace CV boots himself.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by MZen
Hi there,
recently one of front springs gave up on our 2009 R320 diesel. I was able to buy used struts and replaced CV boots as well because one of them was cracked with traces of grease outside.
In the process of replacement, which is not so complicated (I have some links to posts describing the process with pics if anyone interested) I encountered two complications - CV boot clamps and upper control arm nut that holds the joint in place.
I have damaged one CV boots clamp that came with replacement boots and no aftermarket clamp worked at all.
So, If anyone have experienced the same problem - where to buy reliable CV boot clamps that will work on MB boots. I suspect the difference is in the width - MB is around 10mm and aftermarket is 4-6 mm wide.

Another problem is upper control arm nut. It did not want to go off, so I had to remove locking part of it - some kind of skirt on the free end. I am looking for used nut or size info - to buy a new one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
FCP Euro sells a boot repair kit for $20! Along with the tools to remove the axel for $40.
while you’re in there replace the engine mounts because that’s the main cause that screwed up the joints to beguin with.
good luck