R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Oil cooler leak

Old 09-04-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GL320 / R350
Oil cooler leak

I thought I should post my oil cooler seal story here to warn others.
I brought my wife to a Piano guys concert at Rama and everything was normal. Enjoyed the concert and took off down hwy 11. Inexplicably, I turned off the hwy on the wrong exit. As I slowed to the intersection I heard a tremendous clacking from the engine. So I pulled over under a street light and discovered that all my oil was gone. Dipstick was as dry as a bone. We were still 20 mins from home where our kids were being looked after by a babysitter.
I thank God that I carry a couple quarts of oil in the back of these cars for either an oil or fuel emergency. I poured those two quarts in then let the engine cool off for a while. We then stopped at the closest gas station and bought 5 quarts of Duron truck oil and poured that in also. Off we went home.
There was no warning, message, or blinking light of any kind (Way to go Mercedes) Had I not turned into the wrong off-ramp the engine may have seized and we would have been stranded at midnight.
At home, I checked the quantity and it read about half full. I also discovered that the rear end from exhaust to roof was covered in oil. Every square inch of the underside is coated in oil. A quick check of the location of the leak told me all that I needed to know.... Oil cooler seals let go catastrophically.
I could not take the two or three days off to fix it, so I brought to a trusted indie who took care of it.
Be aware OM642 drivers...... Check oil level often and do not rely on Mercedes sensors to save your engine.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
Eesh, Another OM642 horror story.

What year is your GL Dan?
Old 09-12-2018, 02:30 PM

GL320 / R350
Lion,

My GL is a 10. But this occurred on my R class same year.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Yep. thats why I wont buy another diesel. Mine went under extended warranty. My colleague had to pay $10K for the repair.
There should be a class action suite on this.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:24 AM

GL320 / R350
$10K!!!!!! What the poop! Who quoted that? They must have laughed all the way to the bank.
Class action would be great. This appears to be a 100% failure item. It would be nice if they were held accountable. I am in Canada though and companies are never held accountable for bad behaviour, negligence or even illegal actions.