R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Rear driveshaft support bearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R-320 CDI
Rear driveshaft support bearing

Time to replace my carrier bearing that fits in the middle of the two piece rear driveshaft. Contacted Mercedes and they want to sell me a complete replacement driveshaft. Being located in Canada, can anyone recommend a source for replacement carrier bearings. Have access to a press, but watching a few video's it doesn't sound like this bearing is a tight fit. If the rubber is still in good shape, can a person just replace the bearing inside the carrier? I read that for an ML320, the bearing part number is 6006 based of this gentlemans experience.
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...ent-cheap.html

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Just starting to get signs of a dry bearing. Faint noise for now, but would like to tackle this before it gets worse. Sprayed it down with Kroil for now.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you don't have a lift, the WIS install docs and experience it will be difficult. The part number ref by bozo bens is not correct---if you want the correct information and part post your VIN!
Old 02-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 Cadilac Escalade ESV, 2010 MB R350 Diesel
If you are around Ottawa at all, bring the complete driveshaft to "Ottawa Driveshaft". They will see about installing a new bearing and it won't cost you too much.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R-320 CDI
Here is the Vin you requested, what would be the correct information and part number? I'm located in Alberta. Judging by what i saw when i crawled under the car, it looks to be a fairly straight forward job of removing the driveshaft. Heat shield will have to come out to access the carrier bearing bolts. Has anyone successfully replaced just the bearing? What I'm not familiar with is if the bearing is molded into the rubber like how bushings are, or if the bearing can be removed and replaced. Hope everyone is fairing warmer weather then we are in Alberta. Been setting records with the duration of a cold snap we've been experiencing.