MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   R63 AMG (W251) (https://mbworld.org/forums/r63-amg-w251-78/)
-   -   R63 with $57,000 repair bill. (https://mbworld.org/forums/r63-amg-w251/649724-r63-57-000-repair-bill.html)

C280 Sport 01-12-2017 03:13 PM

R63 with $57,000 repair bill.

Road and Track has a article here about how one man is doing a engine rebuild on his own to avoid a $57,000 repair billI. Yes a $57,000 repair bill on a R 63 AMG due to head bowl issues? I know someone who personally had a headboard issue on their C 63 and it cost them about $4,000.

Link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a32269/this-r63-amg-owner-is-rebuilding-his-engine-to-avoid-a-57000-repair/

AMGoneday 01-12-2017 11:02 PM

A few post down
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=637484&page=2

mazdeuce 01-14-2017 02:05 PM

That's my van. I was surprised as the next guy when the articles showed up. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just a guy fixing his van.
I'm a long time lurker over here. This really is the best source of information for the M156. The R63 is amazing, I'll get it back together soon.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f339b9d386.jpg

AMGoneday 01-14-2017 03:25 PM

Did you buy the white R63 from a lady in AZ?

mazdeuce 01-14-2017 03:41 PM

Nope. This one came from Florida. NFL players wife carted their kids around in it.

Forrest Gump 9 01-19-2017 09:48 AM

I read your thread on grassroots from begin to the end. Good luck man.

Do you think the headbolts can be R&R with the engine in the car?

mazdeuce 01-19-2017 04:12 PM

I think you could do bolts with the engine in the car as long as none of them had broken off like mine did. The STAR manual gives instructions on pulling both heads with the engine in, so they think it can be done. With a broken bolt you have to lift the head up and out a really long way to clear. That would be a much harder job. Hopefully mine is the only one that ever pops the head off a bolt. :)

AMGoneday 01-20-2017 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At least you don't need to do this to pull the heads

mazdeuce 05-21-2017 03:52 PM

Just a quick note to the MB World board that the R63 is back together and appears to work for now. Just a few miles on it since I first fired it up yesterday, but things seem to be as normal as they were before this whole thing started.

boohooramblers 05-27-2017 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by mazdeuce (Post 7155595)
Just a quick note to the MB World board that the R63 is back together and appears to work for now. Just a few miles on it since I first fired it up yesterday, but things seem to be as normal as they were before this whole thing started.

Amazing feat mazdeuce! Congratulations! :zoom:

And well done sorting out the AC issue!

sdgold@att.net 05-28-2019 10:56 PM

I am a long time Mercedes owner with 45 years in the business... I am buying a R63, and picking up Sunday - first thing Monday, it goes to the shop for head bolt upgrade, all gaskets, thermostat, timing cover, the whole shebang... No one deserves the treatment that MB is giving first or second owners of these machines when they are well aware of the problem and others that plague our beloved hand built V-8; I have had “goodwill” from MB in the past, but for them to make owners wait for a catastrophic failure is unconscionable and really should require an immediate response from the 6.3 community in the form of a class action suit - there are a whole lot of attorneys that would jump at the chance, and MB knows full well that some of us are armed with copies of the technical bulletin, which advises dealers to “do nothing without evidentiary failure” - they are forcing my/our hands in this matter, and this will become a very large “**** stain” on the otherwise impeccable reputation of AMG, MB/Daimler Benz/ the Silver Arrows - they certainly will settle the matter quickly when taken to task!!! Otherwise, we get to stick it in our own behinds!!!

gsfent 06-04-2019 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by sdgold@att.net (Post 7766475)
I am a long time Mercedes owner with 45 years in the business... I am buying a R63, and picking up Sunday - first thing Monday, it goes to the shop for head bolt upgrade, all gaskets, thermostat, timing cover, the whole shebang... No one deserves the treatment that MB is giving first or second owners of these machines when they are well aware of the problem and others that plague our beloved hand built V-8; I have had “goodwill” from MB in the past, but for them to make owners wait for a catastrophic failure is unconscionable and really should require an immediate response from the 6.3 community in the form of a class action suit - there are a whole lot of attorneys that would jump at the chance, and MB knows full well that some of us are armed with copies of the technical bulletin, which advises dealers to “do nothing without evidentiary failure” - they are forcing my/our hands in this matter, and this will become a very large “**** stain” on the otherwise impeccable reputation of AMG, MB/Daimler Benz/ the Silver Arrows - they certainly will settle the matter quickly when taken to task!!! Otherwise, we get to stick it in our own behinds!!!

I agree. I had the prior owner do the work before purchase. It included new cams, lifters, etc., along with the head bolts. As you said, the whole "shebang". The evidentiary failure is pieces of the motor all over the place. But if you do proactively, much less cost and much less mess. The problem may be the sheer number of motors affected; not big enough group??

She runs great after the repair and refurbishment, and with the improved parts, it should last just like any other AMG built motor.

Now, let's talk class action about the *&%$^ rear view mirror! ;)

Enjoy the new ride!!!

Regards.
Jerry

kilramg 07-24-2019 08:55 PM

cost

What was the bill for [ new cams, lifters, etc., along with the head bolts] I might update my R63 as well, already have 65k miles on the car...It may blow anytime now.

NoahWeb 07-25-2019 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by kilramg (Post 7811514)
What was the bill for [ new cams, lifters, etc., along with the head bolts] I might update my R63 as well, already have 65k miles on the car...It may blow anytime now.

The quote for just the parts, sans the Cams, was ~$3,300 in parts. To include cams in that, I’d add between $3,000 to $4,000 on top of that. There are a lot of “while you are in there” parts to replace too. Breather/PCV pipe, spark plugs, etc etc. I would suggest that you read all 120+ pages of the GRM thread to get an idea of what that Owner went through (whom I am grateful too as I bought THAT R63).

Oh, and I’d suggest to get a copy of the complete service history from Mercedes to get an idea of what was done in the past under warranty. I was surprised to find that the Intake Manifold was replaced.

kilramg 07-25-2019 10:15 PM

Thanks for info Noahweb. I currently have my ML63 at the dealer for a Headbolt failure, the engine is a total loss. Figure I better update my R63 before something happens. My R63 has been pretty reliable = fuel pump back in 2010 and the AC Condenser last year. However after watch my ML63 blowup I very uneasy about driving until I update the bolts. Congrats on your R63. I've really enjoyed this car over the years, lots of road trips with the kids.