R63 AMG (W251) 2007 - 2013 Discuss the R63 AMG.

Considering an R63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
R63 AMG
Considering an R63

While we were stationed with the Army in Japan we sold our A6 TDI due to the VW/Audi Emissions cheating. Now car-less, I’m weighing my choices for what to purchase when I return to the US in a few months. At nearly 40, married and with two kids (boy, 4 and girl, 2), an active interest in fun/unique vehicles ...the R63 has come to interest. Never owned, or considered, a Mercedes; coming from generally Audi’s and Jeep.

What are they like to live with as a daily driver? How concerned should a prospective buyer be with the Head Bolt issue? How awesome is the fuel mileage? How reliable is the air-suspension? Common issues?? Pricing seems to be varying wildly; what is the ballpark average?

Lastly, and I suppose most important, anyone have one for sale??

Thanks for the input all!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Well first off good luck finding one. They are very hard to find. If you do find one then I think it would be the perfect car to haul a family around in style. The engine is noted for the headbolt issue however records will show if it has been done. MPG? LOL. It is a AMG so MPG is not the thing to worry about. The airmatic can be reliable if it is taken care of and serviced just like the rest of the car. Prices are going to be all over because of rarity and also condition and miles. There will not be a perfect one 100%

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4701/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8492/overview/
Old 08-31-2018, 02:05 PM

R63 AMG
Thanks for the input C280. I’ve located one and working to setup the PPI and so forth now. We’ll see if it pans out.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Originally Posted by NoahWeb
Thanks for the input C280. I’ve located one and working to setup the PPI and so forth now. We’ll see if it pans out.

Noah

Just saw your PM and replied.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 09-21-2018, 06:04 AM

R63 AMG
Update - Located a “unicorn” of R63s. Will be completing the purchase end of the month! Drive-train and chassis are all in great condition with new head-bolts, timing guides, seals/gaskets, transmission flush...a rather extensive engine out re-fresh! Planning to get a one- or two- step detail, plus ceramic coating to preserve the paint. After that, a complete interior and engine bay detailing with some additional focus on protecting/conditioning the rubber trim.

From a parts perspective, this particular R63 needs TPMS sensors and the front turn-signals are cracked warranting replacement. New floor mats are needed, as is the rear cargo cover and passenger side rear small cargo net thing. After that, planning to swap in the ROW Airboxes with high-flow filters.

My personal goal is to get to 200k miles, provided the fuel reserves of Saudi Arabia are adequately supplied!