Problem w/dealer updating map

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 07:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
2019 s-class coupe 2018 GLE 350 SUV2017 S-class cabriolet
Problem w/dealer updating map

Has anyone had problems getting dealer to update Nav. map?
I have an 18 GLE 350 and a 17 S550 cabriolet. Both need a Nav map update.
The service manager told me "he has to download from Germany a different map for each model car and it takes 4 hours for a download and then the computers in the car have to be reset". I don't know if this is true!!! The manager told me last Tuesday he would call me when the download was complete. He has yet to call !!!! I find this difficult to believe as my Lexus' they just throw in the latest disk and the map is updated in 5 minutes. I would appreciate opinions on this subject from someone more knowledgeable than I. Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Ron

Old 05-08-2020, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Not sure if this is any help but when I bought my '16 S550 coupe last Oct, I asked the dealer to update the nav and no one mentioned any problems in doing so. Downloading from Germany does seem a little far fetched, tho. One thing I did notice at MB dealers when searching for my coupe was that I never met anyone from sales, parts, or service that I was impressed with regarding knowledge of their cars. This was particularly more evident with sales.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:19 PM

Received 198 Likes on 163 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Not sure if this is any help but when I bought my '16 S550 coupe last Oct, I asked the dealer to update the nav and no one mentioned any problems in doing so. Downloading from Germany does seem a little far fetched, tho. One thing I did notice at MB dealers when searching for my coupe was that I never met anyone from sales, parts, or service that I was impressed with regarding knowledge of their cars. This was particularly more evident with sales.
The only issue that I have had with the dealer updating the map is that after 3 years updates stopped. The map has some noted inaccuracies now but they claim there is no new update.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
also was told that it was as new as it gets and couldnt up any more

Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 AM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by ron104
The service manager told me "he has to download from Germany a different map for each model car and it takes 4 hours for a download and then the computers in the car have to be reset". I don't know if this is true!!! The manager told me last Tuesday he would call me when the download was complete. He has yet to call !!!! I find this difficult to believe as my Lexus' they just throw in the latest disk and the map is updated in 5 minutes. I would appreciate opinions on this subject from someone more knowledgeable than I. Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Ron
Does it concern the facelift S560, so with COMAND/NTG 5*5? Then you can download the updates back at home on a SD card, and upload them in your car (after initiating update, you can go driving). Total EU maps (about 30 Gb) takes few hours, but you can drive and use the nav during the update process. Also you can have a OTA (streaming) update from your home country map without using a SD card.

For a pre facelift car (with COMAND/NTG 5*2) the dealer can do it, and indeed it takes a few hours.

Every car has its onw unique key, so you can not download once and update 2 cars.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz S500L and S500 Night Edition
Yes I can't work out this one either as I am atechnical. My 2010 s500 took a day at the dealers during a service for a map update and so too did my 2018 s500 FYI.

Thanks in advance.
Ron
Old 05-11-2020, 10:35 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Also for you: if you have the facelift S class, your home country will be updatet automatically (Over The Air) or manually by yourself using SD card or USB stick (See my above post).
Old 05-11-2020, 09:22 PM

Hey guys. Pardon my ignorance but you are mentioning "facelift cars" and "pre-facelift" cars.
I have never heard the terms so could someone put a model year definition behind the term as I don't know what you are talking about.
Thanks for helping a newby.
Ron
Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
2018 S550 replaced by the S560, new engine was introduced see 222 attachment basically same for 217.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 04:38 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
It depends on the country how they call the modelyear exactly, but probably from MY18 onwards is the facelift.

The easiest way to know is look at the steering wheel (e.g. touch pads = facelift) and the COMAND system (e.g. Carplay included = facelift)
Old 05-16-2020, 09:49 PM

Gentleman,
I was finally able to get the maps updated on my M-B's.
Following are the results:
2017 S-550 cabriolet: North America 2020-2021 Version 14
2018 GLE: North America 2020-2021 Version 14
2019 S-560 Coupe: North America 2019 Version 18
There are different version for each model.
It takes about 2-3 hours for each update.
Update was done by M-B dealer on Friday, 15 May 20.
Ron

Old 10-21-2020, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
I just brought my 2017 S cab in for for change and service i requested the nav update and was told there is not one available yet. Unimpressive car with sub par audio after paying more than $6,500 for the hd burmester, unusable back seat unless a child , very disappointed , utterly disgusted with the vehicle. Was much better with my CL 550
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
S63 AMG
Originally Posted by rsevinor
I just brought my 2017 S cab in for for change and service i requested the nav update and was told there is not one available yet. Unimpressive car with sub par audio after paying more than $6,500 for the hd burmester, unusable back seat unless a child , very disappointed , utterly disgusted with the vehicle. Was much better with my CL 550

I hate to hear someone is living with a vehicle, which often they spend much time in. A repugnant and frustrating experience. Sort of like buying a pair of shoes too small and having to put them on everyday. Uncomfortable at best, painful most often. Many buyers research their next purchase for up to a year to ensure the correct vehicle "fit" for the buyer and their family. If someone doesn't like or is disappointed, why do they keep it? Life's too short. Shouldn't they just move on and be happy? Or, possibly, was this car ordered out seeing one in person to evaluate, so you could evaluate the backseat etc. Spending $6,500 for an audio upgrade that you didn't audition? So do people just impulse buy cars or do most buyers do diligence? As MB sunsets the larger coupe and cab, our options for this unique vehicle profile becomes restricted. Possibly Bentley GT? Would that have been a better selection?

rsevinor, if you had it to do over and it sounds like you will, what should you have purchased or what will your next purchase be?
The following users liked this post:
Helmut430 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
Hello Spider You bring up good points and spot on with many. My reference was with prior CL coupes which I was quite pleased in and I expected equal to or better than my prior CL's.( yes even the back seat on the CL was better ) This S Cab was an ordered vehicle so I was somewhat stuck with execution of the purchase however don't want you to think there was a gun to my head to move forward. Like those new shoes you mentioned , sometimes they break in and are really comfortable. Sometimes it doesn't break in and gets uncomfortable causing pain. The more I drove the S cab and saw the deficiencies from my point , the more I saw the car bottom out on small dips which other cars sail thru ' normal per dealer " , the more I heard passengers complaining almost every time of the contortions required entering and exiting the back seat, the more clunking noises over small road imperfections " normal per dealer " the more I hear the poor acoustic quality of the " HD Burmester audio " normal per dealer " . Its been a down hill ownership and mbusa has been surprisingly ambivalent and little customer service.

I will most likely get rid of the S cab soon as I rarely use it and as far as a replacement I am not sure however I will not let my excitement in the future to order a new car and manufacturers hype cloud the analysis to determine if it is a " right" car in the future. Replacement - who knows but I will remember the S cab poor technology telematics , quirky features , groans , lack of customer support from mbusa and will not miss that. Some may like the S cab and that is great , it didn't meet my expectations on many data points. To each his / her own. Hope this helps. Stay safe
Old 10-29-2020, 10:46 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
S63 AMG
Ralph, I have to say I've been in exactly the same spot you find yourself in. So I really empathize. What's even "worse" is the randomness of some builds which can drive you away from a brand. I had a CL myself for a number of years and it was one of the best driving cars I've owned and the styling was/is still classic. That was the love part. The hate part is .... well I think the CL hated me. Multiple replacement of soft close latches, Chassis and sub-frame quality / wear issues. Like owning a boat but it didn't float. Possibly for you and me both, we want that Coupe styling and performance yet...please build in some functionality for those times when I may actually want to use the back seat. Map updates on my BMW are so simple and inexpensive (USB update). My S63,... I haven't updated yet...almost afraid to. All I can say is the reason I own a BMW is dealer attitude when I had the CL. YET I have come back. I will say MB seemed to miss the mark altogether on their audio. The base system isn't up to S class standards in my opinion and having to pay for an upgrade that only brings it up to the competitions standard system isn't helping the loyal customer base. It is a narrow market and you and I don't have a lot of choices when looking for a 2 door coupe that's gives a balance of luxury and performance. So far so good for me on my current one. (except the sound system- a little on the "really!, come on!) side of things)

The weather and leaves are turning, so enjoy the Cab while you can, if you can. Be safe and thanks for the response.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
The service manager told me "he has to download from Germany a different map for each model car and it takes 4 hours for a download and then the computers in the car have to be reset". . . .

Your thoughts?

Is he using a dial-up connection?