S550 handling

Old 04-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
S550 handling

So I have had my 2016 S550 coupe for a couple weeks now and, honestly, I am not very excited about how it handles.

I have a mini Pikes Peak type 2 mile uphill run to my house with lots of twisties. I like to give it a go on a daily basis. I have a Ferrari 612 and previously had a CL 55 and they both handled the run wonderfully. I will note that the CL 55 had the ABC suspension system and I lowered it and put on wider and beefier tires and wheels. At the end of the day both cars did the run in similar fashion.

I recently replaced the CL55 with the S550. I will note that the prior owner of the S550 appears to have lowered it and put on 22 inch wheels with Pirelli P0‘s. I’m not a fan of the Pirelli‘s and will replace them with Michelin Super Sports but they don’t really affect the issue I have. The S550 has air suspension that raises and lowers and also a sport mode. I always drive it in sport mode and lowered.

My problem is when I make my run in the S550 it handles like a brick. It’s not really a tire issue because they don’t let go, the issue is there is a huge amount of body lean and it’s really uncomfortable in the corners even with 4 wheel drive. Frankly I’m shocked that my CL55 (which was 10 years older) could have easily eaten this car’s lunch. You would think after 10 years and adding 4 wheel drive the S550 would handle better than its predecessor, not significantly worse.

So I’m not yet familiar with the S550 air suspension system but I’m wondering if there is anything that can be done to improve the body lean and handling in the corners? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
The S63 has sport and comfort settings for suspension. Can you adjust the settings on the S550? If so, make sure it is set to sport.

Upsized wheels are for looks only, not for handling. The car would ride and handle far better on OEM size 20" wheels. Michelin PS4S tires would be a nice upgrade over the PZero. The new generaton PZ4 (or PZ4C if you live in a hot, dry area) are much better than the ones you have and would be another option. Lowering, assuming it is not too aggressive, should not detrimentally affect handling.

Hydraulic suspension is hard to beat, it's only disadvantage is the complexity and expense of repairing/maintaining it. Air suspension is just not as good, except maybe in terms of ride comfort. It is also unreliable out of warranty, but cheaper to fix than ABC. Both the CL55 and S550 have curb weights around 5,000 lbs so neither will handle like a sports car, they're just way too heavy.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:50 PM

Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Yes, the S550 has sport and comfort settings for suspension and I always set it to sport.

However, this is not a tire and wheel issue. The ride is fine with 22 inch wheels, so no need to go back to 20 inch and the overall circumference of the 22 inch tires is identical to the factory 20 inch. My other cars had Michelin PS4S tires and, I agree, they definitely are better than the PZeros. But that is not affecting the handling issue that I have since the suspension never lets me get to the point where the tires factor into the equation.

My issue is the air suspension and whether it can be tightened up and be more balanced in the corners. Something to address the lean. Perhaps there are some after market solutions that people know of? I would love to hear if there are.

By the way, I do think a heavy car can handle great in corners with the right set up. As I said, my CL55 handled as well as my Ferrari in the corners and presently the S550 isn’t even close to being in the same league. The key is to have a low center of gravity, a great suspension, good vehicle balance and, if all of the foregoing is in place, then a great set of tires.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:57 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
I guess I have to say that you would probably have to go aftermarket to equal the other cars that you have and had . But I also think that my S550 handles decently in the Hill Country drives between Austin and San Antonio. Your run sounds probably a bit more challenging. My Wife has an M2 and it eats up roads (of course) but the S550 is far better than the BMW 435 Gran Coupe that I got rid of to get the S550 coupe. I have original AMG 20's (LOVE the look) and will be getting it lowered over the next couple of months) but even with Sport suspension and steering on- its not really made for tight, switchback or highly curvy roads IMO. But again, the air suspension makes it better automatically than MOST larger cars in its class - but its still a larger heavy car and physics takes over at some point. So while I like to drive my coupe on those Hill Country Roads- its much more of Pavement Princess and Highway cruiser (2nd to none?). I agree with you- a heavier car- especially one with 4 wheel drive- can be set up to be really solid as a back road cruiser. But that sound you hear are your tires shredding- even at lower speeds LOL. I got mine CPO off lease and am happy to take advantage of the sizable depreciation. No way would I pay 150k for it. But Ill pay half that and never look back/ OK Mine was a bit more than half but it was in perfect condition. I love it. What color did you get?

Last edited by Dino333; 04-24-2018 at 12:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dino333:
amgboy916 (02-27-2019), RonCL55 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
These cars (non AMG large MB Coupes) are not meant for the twisties, they are (and always have been) large heavy gentleman's GT boulevard cruisers meant to exhibit style, solidity, power and a quiet comfortable ride. If you are still running the stock run flats get rid of them, it will transform the ride of the car, and reduce unsprung weight.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:54 PM
haa

Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts
you may want to try driving the S63 AMG coupe on your drive if you can get a hold of one and if you like the way it handles then switch your springs and (air shocks) to the AMG ones.
The following users liked this post:
RonCL55 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dino333
I guess I have to say that you would probably have to go aftermarket to equal the other cars that you have and had . But I also think that my S550 handles decently in the Hill Country drives between Austin and San Antonio. Your run sounds probably a bit more challenging. My Wife has an M2 and it eats up roads (of course) but the S550 is far better than the BMW 435 Gran Coupe that I got rid of to get the S550 coupe. I have original AMG 20's (LOVE the look) and will be getting it lowered over the next couple of months) but even with Sport suspension and steering on- its not really made for tight, switchback or highly curvy roads IMO. But again, the air suspension makes it better automatically than MOST larger cars in its class - but its still a larger heavy car and physics takes over at some point. So while I like to drive my coupe on those Hill Country Roads- its much more of Pavement Princess and Highway cruiser (2nd to none?). I agree with you- a heavier car- especially one with 4 wheel drive- can be set up to be really solid as a back road cruiser. But that sound you hear are your tires shredding- even at lower speeds LOL. I got mine CPO off lease and am happy to take advantage of the sizable depreciation. No way would I pay 150k for it. But Ill pay half that and never look back/ OK Mine was a bit more than half but it was in perfect condition. I love it. What color did you get?
Thanks Dino333. You and I are in complete agreement. I don’t want to be overly critical of the S550. It is a great car in all areas except its ability to handle the twisties. I was just a little surprised that its suspension was not as able to handle the twisties as well my old CL. However, I am sure I will find an aftermarket solution and, in terms of the day to day ride quality, it is actually better than my CL even with the 22s. I also am really enjoying the “Stop and Go” Distronic feature in the grind of the freeway commute.

Here are some pictures. The original owner had it wrapped and put 22s with Pirellis P0s on it. I am certainly not a fan of the wrapping or the Pirellis. So those will be coming off soon (and it should be pristine underneath since the prior owner wrapped it new and made it a “Night Edition”). Underneath it is a magnetite metallic black (which I think is an awesome color) and it has a red and black designo interior with the “flowing lines” black trim panels. I agree with not paying retail. I didn’t do as well as you on the price point but I did get about 1/3 off of original MSRP. Not bad for a car with 15K miles on it and 2 years old! So I have some free cash to invest in aftermarket add ons (which I will amortize over the 10 or so years I am likely to keep it).

Old 04-24-2018, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by haa
you may want to try driving the S63 AMG coupe on your drive if you can get a hold of one and if you like the way it handles then switch your springs and (air shocks) to the AMG ones.
Thanks HAA. I actually started looking into that and was told by a Mercedes dealer that there is no suspension difference between the S550 and the S63. Anybody know the answer to this for sure? If that is not true then I would love to know that because there would likely be some aftermarket parts that are available to make the suspension into an S63. I have a great Mercedes mechanic and he would love the project.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 PM
haa

Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by RonCL55

Thanks HAA. I actually started looking into that and was told by a Mercedes dealer that there is no suspension difference between the S550 and the S63. Anybody know the answer to this for sure? If that is not true then I would love to know that because there would likely be some aftermarket parts that are available to make the suspension into an S63. I have a great Mercedes mechanic and he would love the project.
I do not know if the hardware is exactly the same or different. This can be easily determined via the online Mercedes startek parts catalog system. It could be a matter of programming and calibration. If the hardware is the same then someone with access to the star programming computer may be able to help you load the AMG calibration settings if you like the ride.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Unfortunately, Mercedes made the decision a few years ago starting with the facelift W216 to ship all Cl and S class coupes to the US ONLY with 4matic, the only exception being the $200K CL65 and the S65 coupes. ABC is not compatible with 4matic. Outside of North America, all of these coupes are available as 2WD with ABC. I have never heard an explanation why we can't order the 2WD ABC version here. It is true that 4matic is preferable for those that live in the snow belt but for those that live in areas where it never snows, ABC should be made available.
RonCL55 (01-06-2019)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Originally Posted by RJC
These cars (non AMG large MB Coupes) are not meant for the twisties, they are (and always have been) large heavy gentleman's GT boulevard cruisers meant to exhibit style, solidity, power and a quiet comfortable ride. If you are still running the stock run flats get rid of them, it will transform the ride of the car, and reduce unsprung weight.
AGREED, I am replacing my CLK63 black series for a S550 cab and have no illusions at that it will handle the twisties but that is not why I am buying it. It is a true "boulevard cruiser"
Old 12-13-2018, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Just as I tell everybody, the regular mb versions are for normal people who want luxury. The amg versions are for people who want performance. Go drive the amg and see if you like it better. theres no way to improve the suspension unless you go to a amg
Old 01-06-2019, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
I own a 2014 CL600 and an Edition 1 like the blacked out one in the post above. The 600 out performes the SCouoe in any form because of the hydrolic suspensions but with a cost. The 600 will never pitch, lean or yaw but it is s much harsher ride. Granted the 600 cost 45k more and should be finer than anything except the S65 but these cars weren’t meant to be driven like a Lamborghini. Just enjoy it as is. If your luck enough to own the Edition 1 or a 63 or 65 be happy, these are 1st world issues.
RonCL55 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by steveb9771
Unfortunately, Mercedes made the decision a few years ago starting with the facelift W216 to ship all Cl and S class coupes to the US ONLY with 4matic, the only exception being the $200K CL65 and the S65 coupes. ABC is not compatible with 4matic. Outside of North America, all of these coupes are available as 2WD with ABC. I have never heard an explanation why we can't order the 2WD ABC version here. It is true that 4matic is preferable for those that live in the snow belt but for those that live in areas where it never snows, ABC should be made available.
Originally Posted by 2014CL600
I own a 2014 CL600 and an Edition 1 like the blacked out one in the post above. The 600 out performes the S Coupe in any form because of the hydrolic suspensions but with a cost. The 600 will never pitch, lean or yaw but it is s much harsher ride. Granted the 600 cost 45k more and should be finer than anything except the S65 but these cars weren’t meant to be driven like a Lamborghini. Just enjoy it as is. If your luck enough to own the Edition 1 or a 63 or 65 be happy, these are 1st world issues.

Thanks steveb9771 and 2014CL600. Yes, I have come to find out that there are no S Class coupes (other than the S65 with the optional ABC package) that will handle as well as the old CLs did with ABC. It is truly disappointing.

2014CL600, I hear you that these cars are not meant to be driven like Lamborghinis but it used to be that the factory wanted them to at least match up to Ferrari’s and other supercars. Here is a link to an old Car and Driver article that was factory sponsored and they were comparing the handling of the CL to Ferrari’s and other super cars of the day. Very impressive on the part of the CL!

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-tests

So clearly it used to be that Mercedes had designed all of its CLs with ABC so they could handle at the super car level. It is disappointing that Mercedes has now gotten away from that viewpoint other than with the S65 with the optional ABC package.

At this point I have decided because of the lack of handling that my S Coupe will not be a keeper and I am going to go in search of a S65 with the optional ABC package. My MO is that I buy my cars used avoiding the huge depreciation hit but new enough so I have a couple of years before the warranty expires to decide whether the car is a keeper. I did that with my old CL and had it for 10 years. Best car ever! So if anybody sees or has a used S65 with the optional ABC package for sale, I would love to hear about it! I have about a year to go before I am going to have to get rid of my present S Coupe.

Thanks. I do recognize that this is a 1st world issue!.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
FYI, all S65, CL600 and 65 only come with the ABC suspension as standard equipment
RonCL55 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2014CL600
FYI, all S65, CL600 and 65 only come with the ABC suspension as standard equipment
Thanks 2014CL600. I had noticed on Auto Trader that all available S65s were 2 wheel drive but of course it didn’t specify the suspension. I went down to the local MB dealer and they didn’t have any S65s. They tried to sell me a S63 but it is the same suspension as I have so i wont go there. They said that the ABC was “optional” on the S65, but they were probably just trying to push the S63 and make it seem harder to get the right S65 than it really is.

So good to know. It makes the search a lot easier!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
I know that the S and CL are and were hard to get. They all came and come with the ABC but I think the Magic Body Control might be optional but not the ABC, it’s standard, even on the Maybach.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
abc is standard on amgs but optional or not available at all on regular models
Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Originally Posted by okbarnett
abc is standard on amgs but optional or not available at all on regular models
No, Not all AMG models are equipped with ABC suspension’s any longer. Only the 65. It’s not even optional on the 63, any longer. From 2000-2006, it was standard on all CL models and optional on S Class’s. 2007-14 it was standard only on the 600 and 65 and optional on the 63. The Maybach 600 had standard ABC suspension. 63 models do not offer the ABC suspension any longer, it’s either airmatic or coil over spring. They are slowly doing away with the ABC suspensions systems. Once the Maybach is discontinued and the 65 is changed, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did away with ABC all together.

Last edited by 2014CL600; 01-06-2019 at 10:32 PM.