Optional Burmester System trunk encroachment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2013 SL550
Optional Burmester System trunk encroachment?

I am about to order a 2019 S 560 Coupe (for European Delivery) and, being an audiophile, I am contemplating the optional Burmester system. I am aware that option includes an extra enclosure that compromises some trunk volume. Would anyone with that option be willing to post a few detailed photographs of the trunk to give me an idea how much encroachment there is by the extra enclosure?
Old 05-13-2018, 01:03 AM
Aah

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 s500
Not a huge loss in space as there is no spare tire. I’ll post a pic but the Burmeistersystem is so-so af best. Wife’s Lexus suv sounds way better(louder, richer sounding , and way more base) ...my 2 cents at least.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Originally Posted by Aah
Not a huge loss in space as there is no spare tire. I’ll post a pic but the Burmeistersystem is so-so af best. Wife’s Lexus suv sounds way better(louder, richer sounding , and way more base) ...my 2 cents at least.
Unless it has changed- this is a true statement- Other than the very cool aluminum CNC covers on all the speakers- this VERY PRICEY "upgrade" is just average at best- I have a VW Golf R who 440 watt Fender system blows this Burmester thing out of the water. Simply not enough bass- And it has to really be cranked up (it will get LOUD) to take advantage of all of its features. Plus the equalizer is a 3 knob (digital) thing- not a 10-12 slider bar like a sound console as it should be. Not a fan- its best use is to crank it up while your tail gating or something like that-with the windows down and the doors open- you will never need external speakers. I was hoping for a better sound experience- but this is not it as far as I'm concerned. Save the $ 7000 upgrade price and have it done 3rd party- you will get better results IMO
Old 05-14-2018, 04:03 PM

2013 SL550
Pictures anyone?

I’ve read enough reviews. The qualities of an audio system deemed desirable or not are as varied as the perception of the human ear and brain. What sounds great to some may not be to another’s liking. I’ve heard the High End 3D system and I loved it...this coming from someone with a McIntosh/Kef/Velodyne audiophile system in my home.

Unfortunately, I didn’t look in the trunk of the vehicle it has since been sold with no others readily available by the time I need to make a decision

Last edited by Rad22; 05-14-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:22 PM

2013 SL550
Originally Posted by Dino333
Unless it has changed- this is a true statement- Other than the very cool aluminum CNC covers on all the speakers- this VERY PRICEY "upgrade" is just average at best- I have a VW Golf R who 440 watt Fender system blows this Burmester thing out of the water.
Two points...

1. The base S Coupe already has a Burmester system with “very cool aluminum CNC covers”, so your comment leads me to wonder if you are truly familiar with the S Class 3D option over and above the base Burmester system.

2. My son has a Golf R with the Fender system of which you speak. Nope. Not for me. Sounds like a ghetto blaster with artificially boosted bass to a boomy sub. Fatiguing to my ears. Just my opinion, but a useful reference point to me about what you consider a great system.

...but I digress. As I said, it’s all personal preference and there are countless threads here and elsewhere with this debate.

You like it and think it’s worth it...or you don’t. No amount of verbiage will supplant an actual listening session, ever.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rad22

Two points...

1. The base S Coupe already has a Burmester system with “very cool aluminum CNC covers”, so your comment leads me to wonder if you are truly familiar with the S Class 3D option over and above the base Burmester system.

2. My son has a Golf R with the Fender system of which you speak. Nope. Not for me. Sounds like a ghetto blaster with artificially boosted bass to a boomy sub. Fatiguing to my ears. Just my opinion, but a useful reference point to me about what you consider a great system.

...but I digress. As I said, it’s all personal preference and there are countless threads here and elsewhere with this debate.

You like it and think it’s worth it...or you don’t. No amount of verbiage will supplant an actual listening session, ever.
You are correct for sure- it is subjective- but Judas Priest sounds so much better in my 2017 R than my S550 LOL. I have the "High End 3D" in the my S550 Edition 1 and I have the 3d turned "on" in the settings. And like most cars in motion you lose fidelity vs sitting still- sitting still the Burmester is really good at 70 mph it just doesn't have the bass fill that other high end cars have- the Mark Levinson in one of my friends lexus is AMAZING and you can easily tell the difference. And I would easily trade the spare tire space for the Burmester sub- but I DONT like that the rear seats dont fold down (its and option- who knew?). Good luck with your decision. I will be buying a 2019 S560 coupe off lease in 2021 and take advantage of the same 45% depreciation on the S550 I just bought. I want Apple Car play and it wasn't supported until 2018 on the S class- as I understand. PS I have KEF speakers in my house and I do love them- great sound.

Last edited by Dino333; 05-14-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Aah

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 s500
Not sure if this helps ...

Old 05-15-2018, 01:02 AM

2013 SL550
Originally Posted by Aah
Not sure if this helps ...
Just what I needed...Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
You need to have mode set to 3D and then select the VIP driver (or another seat, if you want them to have the best sound) in the menu.

The high end 3D system is actually very good, if you are familiar with high end home audio systems. If you are used to aftermarket car audio systems with tons of (inaccurate) bass, it might seem lacking in comparison. To some degree it depends on what you listen to, and how loud you listen.

As those photos show it doesn't really reduce space in the trunk itself at all, you just lose the smaller storage area underneath the floor.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Heisenberg
You need to have mode set to 3D and then select the VIP driver (or another seat, if you want them to have the best sound) in the menu.

The high end 3D system is actually very good, if you are familiar with high end home audio systems. If you are used to aftermarket car audio systems with tons of (inaccurate) bass, it might seem lacking in comparison. To some degree it depends on what you listen to, and how loud you listen.
I am very familiar with higher end sound systems- and while the Burmester isnt BAD at all- its simply not worth the $6900 upgrade that's all. For this money- it absolutely could (and should) be better. One of my friends has sold high end Audio systems for cars for a long time. I have heard the real deal- this clearly isnt. Ive got roughly $10k worth of Kef Speakers throughout my house- amazing sound from them through my Sony ES receiver. Nope not a high end Marantz or Mac, but not too shabby. And my tastes in music is everyone from Todd Rundgren to Black Sabbath to Robert Earl Keen.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:11 PM

2013 SL550
Originally Posted by Dino333
I am very familiar with higher end sound systems- and while the Burmester isnt BAD at all- its simply not worth the $6900 upgrade that's all. For this money- it absolutely could (and should) be better.
I don't want to prolong this discussion… it wasn't the purpose of starting this thread.

However, I always find it interesting, in forums such as these, that blanket statements such as the above are stated as fact. The reality is that which is not considered to be worth $6400 (not $6900, BTW) to one individual may be considered by a different individual with different tastes completely reasonable.

Let's face it, the entry price for the S 560 coupe to the average, everyday car buyer is probably outrageous and "simply not worth it". It's all a matter of taste, individual affordability and desire.

Having personally auditioned the high-end 3-D Burmester system with my own source material, I happen to agree with Heisenberg. For a discriminating audiophile's ears, not calibrated to distorted hip-hop bass produced by unbalanced, usually over-amplified and outsized subwoofers, I found the optional Burmester system to be absolutely superb. You can also go on the Internet, do your own search and find multiple audiophile publications that have reviewed the system and agree.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rad22
I don't want to prolong this discussion… it wasn't the purpose of starting this thread.

However, I always find it interesting, in forums such as these, that blanket statements such as the above are stated as fact. The reality is that which is not considered to be worth $6400 (not $6900, BTW) to one individual may be considered by a different individual with different tastes completely reasonable.

Let's face it, the entry price for the S 560 coupe to the average, everyday car buyer is probably outrageous and "simply not worth it". It's all a matter of taste, individual affordability and desire.

Having personally auditioned the high-end 3-D Burmester system with my own source material, I happen to agree with Heisenberg. For a discriminating audiophile's ears, not calibrated to distorted hip-hop bass produced by unbalanced, usually over-amplified and outsized subwoofers, I found the optional Burmester system to be absolutely superb. You can also go on the Internet, do your own search and find multiple audiophile publications that have reviewed the system and agree.
I dont disagree with you at all about both the sound and the car itself - However, audio reviews to me are like food reviews- gotta taste it to really know. And me personally- I like Geddy Lee's tight bass, have listened to it for 40 years, and it just sounds thin (average) on the Burmester. I dont know...
Old 06-05-2018, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
my woofer is blown, back to the dealer