2015 S550 coupe driver seat won't lower as much as passenger seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
2015 S550 coupe driver seat won't lower as much as passenger seat

I recently acquired a used 2015 S550 coupe and am enjoying it very much. I had several of the previous CL body styles but like the latest generation the best (of course).

My coupe has the Active Multicontour Seats and nifty Designo leather packages. My husband drove it for the first time yesterday and commented that he couldn't lower the driver seat as much as when he sat in the passenger seat. If you look at the relative height vs. the center console, when the driver seat is moved close to the steering wheel and then lowered as much as possible it is noticeably higher than the passenger seat at its lowest height setting by about a couple inches. If I now move the driver seat back away from the steering wheel then it appears to also lower the seat height slightly, but it still stays relatively higher than the passenger seat.

Another thing this driver seat lowest height limitation does in my car is when I want to put someone in the "back seat" behind the driver:
  1. Open the driver's side door
  2. Flip forward the driver seat
  3. The driver seat automatically moves forward all the way to the steering wheel
  4. Someone climbs into the back seat (hopefully just a small child LOL)
  5. Now it's time for the driver to get in
Even with the headrest at its lowest setting, I can't return the driver seat back to the driving position because its headrest cannot clear the front of the roof (which is lower towards the windshield). I have to first use the seat controls to move the driver seat away from the steering wheel and only then can I manually move it back to the driving position. I haven't yet put someone into the back seat via the passenger's side door so I don't know if the passenger's seat requires the same maneuvering.

I will mention this in my next dealer service visit this Tuesday. Have other S550 coupe owners noticed this same height difference between driver and passenger seats at their lowest height settings? Or recall also not being able to restore the driver seat position after flipping it forward to permit back seat entry? Thanks in advance for giving me more information for my upcoming dealer visit.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 PM

2015 S550 Coupe
Do any other S-coupe owners notice this?

I put the driver and passenger seats in approximately the same location and lowered them as much as possible. The driver's seat is 2.5" higher, i.e., distance measured from the ceiling to the seat cushion. I cannot believe this is normal. Can another S-coupe owner confirm that they see or don't see this? My service advisor claimed this was normal but if others don't see the same difference then I want to raise the issue again with them.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
do you memorize the seat. put it in your normal position and
press M then 1 beep heard
now its memorized.
Now do your rear entry. everything should be workable. it does clear the roof and return to 1
Old 07-30-2018, 02:26 AM

2015 S550 Coupe
Never mind - My mistake, the seat goes down once properly flat

I figured out that this was all my mistake... The driver's seat doesn't behave any differently than the passenger's seat. My husband's memorized seat position was rotated so that the front edge was slightly lower than the rear portion, therefore it indeed would not go down any further. This made it appear like the driver's seat lowest position was higher than what the passenger seat could do.

But this was only because the passenger seat was set flatter and not limited by its front edge. Once I moved the driver's seat all the way back and then all the way down, everything reset properly and it became clear what was going on. Now, with the seat more flat and lower in the car, my husband doesn't have any more issues getting in or seeing below the roof line. No more driving complaints!