Question Re. Coupe Rear Seat Headrests

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 198 Likes on 163 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Question Question Re. Coupe Rear Seat Headrests

My S550 Coupe Owners' Manual states that the rear seat headrests can be raised and lowered electrically using switch #7 to the right of the instrument cluster.

I seldom use the rear seats but have noticed that pressing that switch did nothing but cause a slight noise in the rear seat area. Since I had my car into the dealer for other work I asked them to fix that.

The service rep called me later and said his tech told him that in the coupes the switch ONLY lowers the head rests. When I asked how the headrests are raised he said only mechanically.

In my '05 CL500 the rear seat headrests automatically raised whenever someone sat in the seat and then the button was used to electrically lower them. I would think that a 10 year newer S Class would at least do that and not require manual operation of the system.

It isn't a big deal but I wonder if other C217 owners could enlighten me as to how their cars work?

Quote from the Owners' Manual:
"Adjusting the rear seat head restraints
Lowering electrically from the front
Turn the SmartKey to position 1 or 2 in the
ignition lock (Y page 151).
Briefly press button :.
The head restraints lower.
Extending from the front electrically
Turn the SmartKey to position 1 or 2 in the
ignition lock (Y page 151).
Briefly press button : again.
The head restraints extend upwards.
Adjusting the rear seat head restraint
height mechanically (Coupe)
To raise: pull the head restraint up to the
desired position.
To lower: press release catch : and push
the head restraint."
Old 05-14-2019, 11:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by as.thompson
I seldom use the rear seats but have noticed that pressing that switch did nothing but cause a slight noise in the rear seat area. Since I had my car into the dealer for other work I asked them to fix that.

The service rep called me later and said his tech told him that in the coupes the switch ONLY lowers the head rests. When I asked how the headrests are raised he said only mechanically.
I took my 2015 S-class coupe in for its first service after I purchased it last year. I read the same thing in the owner's manual and wondered about it too, so I asked the same question about the rear seat headrests and pointed out that the console button didn't do anything except make a small noise. They afterward reported that the coupe rear headrests are not controlled electronically. My coupe also has the Burmester High-End system with the rear subwoofer, in case that makes a difference.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:15 PM

2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by mikey94025
I took my 2015 S-class coupe in for its first service after I purchased it last year. I read the same thing in the owner's manual and wondered about it too, so I asked the same question about the rear seat headrests and pointed out that the console button didn't do anything except make a small noise. They afterward reported that the coupe rear headrests are not controlled electronically. My coupe also has the Burmester High-End system with the rear subwoofer, in case that makes a difference.
Mikey, Thanks for the info. I have the standard sound system and my seats apparently operate like yours. It seems strange to me that MBZ would make virtually everything automatic or electrically operated on these coupes but make the headrests manual. It certainly isn't a big deal though since I seldom have anyone in my rear seats.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
Just to be clear (unless I'm misunderstanding you). The button on the center dash is to fling the headrests backwards for more visibility to see out the rear window. The rear headrests are in fact manual. Come on guys with your first world problems! Now mind you I haven't pushed the button to fling the headrests back in this car, but that's what it did with my 08 CL 550

But if you think that's odd, why do I have two separate switches to operate the SHADE on my non-opening panoramic roof with no magic sky? Literally both switches do the exact same thing. Open and close the sunroof shade. I was like this sunroof MUST open. Am I missing something?
The following users liked this post:
HAILERS2 (06-07-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 PM

2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Smile

Originally Posted by lexnoir
Just to be clear (unless I'm misunderstanding you). The button on the center dash is to fling the headrests backwards for more visibility to see out the rear window. The rear headrests are in fact manual. Come on guys with your first world problems! Now mind you I haven't pushed the button to fling the headrests back in this car, but that's what it did with my 08 CL 550

But if you think that's odd, why do I have two separate switches to operate the SHADE on my non-opening panoramic roof with no magic sky? Literally both switches do the exact same thing. Open and close the sunroof shade. I was like this sunroof MUST open. Am I missing something?
Lexnoir, I too had a CL500 and was aware of that system. But after reading the S550 Coupe Owners' Manual (quoted in the original post) I had the definite impression that MBZ had taken that system to a new level just as they did in many other systems of that S class coupe. If MBZ had simply written that the headrests had to be raised manually and lowered with the switch, instead of describing how to raise them electrically which it apparently can't do, that would have been much clearer.

I also wondered about having two ways to open and close the roof shade. Maybe that is to make up for us having to raise the headrests manually.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
S63 AMG
I have a 93 300CE (W124 coupe) and yes, way back then the coupe had the same button to lower, drop down, the rear seat head rests for better vision. I seldom use the option because we have no friends and I don't let anyone ride in the rear. So they stay down. Just smiled when I saw the same option on my S63.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Button on C217 just lowers the rear headrests, even though the button shows a bidirectional arrow, the manual states is incorrect. If they are already down you'll hear the motor come on for a split second then it stops. And they just go straight up and down, no folding back and down like in the sedan or CL.

Why this button even exists I don't know, and even more frustrating is why MB felt it was so important that they replaced the (very useful) passenger seat override with it on the refresh S63. Who has ever even raised their rear headrest in a S Coupe ?