MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (C217) Coupe & (A217) Cabrio (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-c217-coupe-a217-cabrio-205/)
-   -   Apple Carplay C217 (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-c217-coupe-a217-cabrio/756770-apple-carplay-c217.html)

jaykishan_g 09-17-2019 12:06 PM

Apple Carplay C217

Has anyone managed to crack this one yet? Anyone have apple carplay/android auto working on a C217?

stan_tetters 09-22-2019 07:05 PM

I didn't think it was supported (on pre-2018 models). Do you think it could be made to work?

HAWKiS63 09-24-2019 02:42 PM

Dees only work on facelifted models.(MY18 onwards).

Ivo Georgiev 10-17-2019 01:24 PM

I tried it on my 2018 model, it seems to be working, but it was very laggy and near unusable. I suspect it might be a cable issue, will try with another cable soon.

Dan_B 10-18-2019 09:38 PM

Just get the Alexa Echo auto and speak to it. You get traffic, weather, music, auditable, and it goes via your phone to bluetooth. I really like it.. I plug it in the USB port in the center console and stick it between my driver seat and the console box, with the blue color facing up. Very neat.

josemorales 11-30-2019 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaykishan_g (Post 7856344)
Has anyone managed to crack this one yet? Anyone have apple carplay/android auto working on a C217?

Yes, I put an aftermarket Alpine apple car play. Works great

daviper 12-08-2019 11:54 AM

I ordered this retrofit unit and plan to install it within the next week or two:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...47364c4dKIvxQF

It should work for both the coupe and sedan.

mikey94025 12-08-2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by daviper (Post 7922201)
I ordered this retrofit unit and plan to install it within the next week or two:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...47364c4dKIvxQF

It should work for both the coupe and sedan.

That looks very functional and promising! Please let us know how well it works for you.

daviper 12-09-2019 10:53 PM

I installed the joyeauto CarPlay unit tonight and can confirm it works. After ordering it through aliexpress it arrived in about a week. My car is a 2015 S63 Coupe. It took me 2-3 hours to install - mainly just because I was being very careful - you need to pull back the center console to get the cd changer/radio out - which isn’t difficult to do, but will take you longer the first time you do it. I couldn’t figure out how to remove the glovebox, so I mounted the CarPlay box behind the carpet on the left side on the passenger footwell (also took me 30 mins or so to decide on location and re-run the wires. Everything is plug and play and completely reversible - I didn’t cut or solder any wires.

Right now I am using it in WiFi mode which does work well. I may try it in wired mode since I want my phone to be charging anyways. The sound quality is excellent - as good as your aux input allows.

Right now I am just having 2 issues.
1) When in CarPlay mode (you can toggle between CarPlay and the stock MB interface) my rear view camera isn’t coming up when I shift into reverse (black screen). I have the factory 360 camera option. It still works normally when in the normal MB interface. There are some settings relating to camera mode with this unit - so I have a feeling this is just a setting - I didn’t have time to troubleshoot tonight but will take a shot at this tomorrow. ***UPDATE BELOW*** this was quickly resolved by rebooting the CarPlay box and resetting the setting dipswitches.

2) Hitting the star button is supposed to activate Siri. This doesn’t seem to be working for me - but I will check to make sure I’m running the latest firmware.

Overall this seems to be a nice retrofit solution. Keep in mind it’s a retrofit - it’s never going to be 100% perfect like OEM - but this is pretty close! The graphics quality is very good as well.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7e14f9147.jpeg

daviper 12-10-2019 07:25 AM

Update - support had me power off and reset the dip switches on the CarPlay box and that fixed the reverse camera - that’s now working perfectly as it does from the factory. The only issue I’m waiting to hear back on is the feature that activates Siri when you hit the star button on the trackpad (not essential but something I’d like to work). I’ve also decided that I really like the wireless CarPlay and will be using a wireless charger to charge my phone. I’m waiting for my mount to arrive from KUDA USA to mount my wireless charging pad to hold my phone. I can of course still activate Siri by saying "Hey Siri", which my phone picks up on.

This morning I ran the microphone so that is above the rearview mirror - the black blends well there and doesn't bother me. I haven't had a chance to test the call quality yet - but I think it will be fine with the microphone in this location.

Overall I would say that this unit is a great solution for anyone looking to add CarPlay to the W222/C217 models. I am happy with it!

Nermal 12-10-2019 01:02 PM

Thanks for the write-up and taking the plunge for us all. This was a solution I was looking at for quite some time and it's reassuring someone is happy with it.

One question: is it the latest carplay?

daviper 12-10-2019 01:53 PM

CarPlay runs from your phone - so yes, as long as you have the latest iOS installed then it's the latest CarPlay. It's the same CarPlay (newer) interface as my cars that have OEM CarPlay.

Nermal 12-10-2019 02:04 PM

Sounds great. How did you install it? Did it come with install instructions?

daviper 12-10-2019 02:08 PM

I followed this video for pulling back the center console (coupe was very similar to sedan - maybe even less work). I didn't actually remove it completely - just pulled it back enough to pull out the radio:

Then followed this video from the manufacturer for installing the unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?spm=a2...ature=youtu.be

Although the vehicle is different, the connections you make behind the radio are the same and the concept is the same.

As I mentioned before I couldn't figure out how to remove the glovebox (especially with the air fragrance system in there it seemed like it might be complicated), so I mounted the control box in the passenger footwell behind the carpet along the console tunnel. I also wanted to be able to access this box without having to remove the center console again, in case of troubleshooting or updates:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...35f4910bd9.jpg

Here's a picture of the radio removed and accessible to connect the main harness and 2 cables:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...dd91961569.jpg

When you install the main harness you will need to remember to move the fiber-optic cable from the original harness to the new harness (I can't remember if the video shows this - but it's very easy - it's on its own clip/plug).

Lastly - when you run the audio cord from the audio out on the Joyeauto box to the car's usb input in the armrest - I found that the plastic phone holder thing in the armrest pops out - and if you remove the elastic band on it you can push the audio cord through the hole left there and can reinstall it. So I didn't have to drill any holes to run that cable to there, which was a plus! I didn't cut any wires or drill any holes in this install.

Here are the instructions from the manufacturer:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7f21eeb184.jpg

mcotten 12-29-2019 11:01 PM

@daviper Can you please comment on a few items about the unit--
  • What are the EQ options of the unit (preset, custom or multiband)?
  • Do you hear a noticeable improvement in sound quality while using CP vs. the Media Interface?
  • The unit has HDMI and an SD card slot. Can you comment on their functionality?
  • How helpful is the manual?
Thank you for posting what you already have.

daviper 12-31-2019 12:26 PM

What are the EQ options of the unit (preset, custom or multiband)?
I'm not sure - I think there were some basic settings in the Joyeauto settings, but the audio goes through your normal infotainment system (through the aux input) - so the MB equalizer settings are still available. I would use the EQ settings in the MB system since I'm sure they're much more advanced. Keep in mind that the way this system operates is that your car infotainment system is set to Aux for input, and the Joyeauto basically sends its video to the screen. From an MB infotainment perspective,Your car thinks it's still in Aux mode (though the controller does properly control the Joyeauto device) - even though your screen is displaying the CarPlay functionality from the Joyeauto system. This is why it uses a T-Harness and connects inline with the Head Unit's wiring.

Do you hear a noticeable improvement in sound quality while using CP vs. the Media Interface?
The sound comes through the aux input - I don't notice any degradation in the audio from the Joyeauto unit versus using my phone directly.

The unit has HDMI and an SD card slot. Can you comment on their functionality?
I haven't used them and don't plan to. I imagine they work fine though

How helpful is the manual?
The image I posted is all there is for a manual - but everything is pretty straightforward. They also offer customer support via WhatsApp

daviper 12-31-2019 12:31 PM

Sorry posted twice

mcotten 12-31-2019 11:55 PM

Thank you for your response. I was fearing limited information in the manual, Joyeatuo appears to have quick responses on their feedback pages as well.

cblueG 03-17-2020 10:10 AM

Does installing this after market solution void the manufacturer warranty on the car?

ACTDEUX 04-23-2020 06:26 PM

I just ordered this for my 2016 S550....I’ll see if it works.

https://carplay2air.com/

cblueG 04-23-2020 10:39 PM

it says that it only works in cars that come with factory installed carplay unit. 2016 to my knowledge does not come with factory carplay. let us know if it works though

hoangcao243 05-24-2020 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by daviper (Post 7923589)
I installed the joyeauto CarPlay unit tonight and can confirm it works. After ordering it through aliexpress it arrived in about a week. My car is a 2015 S63 Coupe. It took me 2-3 hours to install - mainly just because I was being very careful - you need to pull back the center console to get the cd changer/radio out - which isn’t difficult to do, but will take you longer the first time you do it. I couldn’t figure out how to remove the glovebox, so I mounted the CarPlay box behind the carpet on the left side on the passenger footwell (also took me 30 mins or so to decide on location and re-run the wires. Everything is plug and play and completely reversible - I didn’t cut or solder any wires.

Right now I am using it in WiFi mode which does work well. I may try it in wired mode since I want my phone to be charging anyways. The sound quality is excellent - as good as your aux input allows.

1) When in CarPlay mode (you can toggle between CarPlay and the stock MB interface) my rear view camera isn’t coming up when I shift into reverse (black screen). I have the factory 360 camera option. It still works normally when in the normal MB interface. There are some settings relating to camera mode with this unit - so I have a feeling this is just a setting - I didn’t have time to troubleshoot tonight but will take a shot at this tomorrow. ***UPDATE BELOW*** this was quickly resolved by rebooting the CarPlay box and resetting the setting dipswitches.

2) Hitting the star button is supposed to activate Siri. This doesn’t seem to be working for me - but I will check to make sure I’m running the latest firmware.

Overall this seems to be a nice retrofit solution. Keep in mind it’s a retrofit - it’s never going to be 100% perfect like OEM - but this is pretty close! The graphics quality is very good as well.

Hello David
Could you please share how to reset the dip switch?
Im having the same issue where the backup camera does not come up when the car is in reverse.
I also have issue with wired connection where there is no sound, however I decided to just do the wireless since I could use stock microphone with wireless, not sure why you have to install microphone. In my case I only need microphone if I do the wired connection.

thank you

cblueG 05-24-2020 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by daviper (Post 7923589)

does your car usb input still work if i want to plug in my phone and stream that way?

hoangcao243 05-24-2020 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by hoangcao243 (Post 8063983)
Hello David
Could you please share how to reset the dip switch?
Im having the same issue where the backup camera does not come up when the car is in reverse.
I also have issue with wired connection where there is no sound, however I decided to just do the wireless since I could use stock microphone with wireless, not sure why you have to install microphone. In my case I only need microphone if I do the wired connection.

thank you

never mind, got the unit reset and backup cam is working now. Just very weird that now the 360 camera (stock) does not work in carplay mode. I have to put it back to benz interface to activate 360cam???

wsevans 07-10-2020 10:43 PM

@daviper thanks for the advice. I just received CarPlay unit from Joyauto. I have a 2016 S63 coupe. Do you have any advice on removing the center console? I followed the video for removing the console for the 2015 S-class sedan. I removed the four screws that are in the rear of the console and two screws under the cup holder. Am I missing something? Update. I figured it out.

wsevans 07-10-2020 11:40 PM

@daviper thanks for the advice. I just received CarPlay unit from Joyauto. I have a 2016 S63 coupe. Do you have any advice on removing the center console? I followed the video for removing the console for the 2015 S-class sedan. I removed the four screws that are in the rear of the console and two screws under the cup holder. Am I missing something?

e55phil 07-12-2020 08:24 AM

As I remember you have to take the ashtray out before the center console come out. You lift up on the back of the center console which makes the front of the console goes down so that the two books in the front of the console or loose and then you can pull it out. There are still a couple of wires under the console that have to be loosened so that you can lift the console up.

I haven't written a report on the Joyeauto unit yet but I installed it last week and I will try to write the report this week. I'm glad I bought it

wsevans 07-12-2020 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by e55phil (Post 8104253)
As I remember you have to take the ashtray out before the center console come out. You lift up on the back of the center console which makes the front of the console goes down so that the two books in the front of the console or loose and then you can pull it out. There are still a couple of wires under the console that have to be loosened so that you can lift the console up.

I haven't written a report on the Joyeauto unit yet but I installed it last week and I will try to write the report this week. I'm glad I bought it

Thanks for the response. I am embarrassed to say I did not take all the screws out that hold down the center console! I missed two of the screws. SMH. Figured it out last night. I will finish up the install today and post a review within a week.

icngacsn 03-15-2021 11:05 AM

Any updates on people that have installed this unit? I'm considering installing one in a 2017 S550 Cabriolet and would love to hear if there any issues have arisen with the installs with iOS updates and if there are newer/better integrated units.

For example is anyone familia with this solution?
https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/w...ass-2014-2017/

Thanks in advance!

S63C4 03-17-2021 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by icngacsn (Post 8292664)
Any updates on people that have installed this unit? I'm considering installing one in a 2017 S550 Cabriolet and would love to hear if there any issues have arisen with the installs with iOS updates and if there are newer/better integrated units.

For example is anyone familia with this solution?
https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/w...ass-2014-2017/

Thanks in advance!

Quite a coincidence that you posted this when you did. I just started the project in my MY16 S63C4. I have the Joye branded one (they're all the exact same units with different brand stickers and logos).
I'll be using it for wireless and wired Android Auto, not Carplay, but I'll test Carplay with a friend's iPhone 11.
Right now, I have a lot of the interior parts taken out of the car in prep to put everything where I want and add other wiring and accessories. I'll post pics of everything when I'm done.

As far as "issues", I haven't heard of any problems yet. Can't wait to finish this! I was almost ready to just accept the reality that my S63 would never have AA, when BANG! They came out with this awesome aftermarket work of art!

wsevans 03-21-2021 12:53 AM

I installed the Joyauto Carplay unit in my 2016 S63C4 in July 2020. Operating the unit is seamless however the operating instructions are not great. A User manual would be nice. I had to experiment, for example, to get Siri to work you must Long press the "phone" button. The rear camera works in reverse but when I switch back to drive the front camera doesn't display. This is is helpful when parking and is really the only thing i don't like in the system. Long press the back button on the console to switch to the standard Mercedes electronics.

S63C4 03-21-2021 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by wsevans (Post 8297139)
I installed the Joyauto Carplay unit in my 2016 S63C4 in July 2020. Operating the unit is seamless however the operating instructions are not great. A User manual would be nice. I had to experiment, for example, to get Siri to work you must Long press the "phone" button. The rear camera works in reverse but when I switch back to drive the front camera doesn't display. This is is helpful when parking and is really the only thing i don't like in the system. Long press the back button on the console to switch to the standard Mercedes electronics.

Yup, me too. You didn't mention that this front camera problem happens ALL THE TIME, not just when using AA. I'm especially pissed about this because I spent the ridiculous price of $345 to get the Mid City 360 degree camera module that lets you switch on the camera while parking by simply flicking the shift lever down.
Until there's a firmware update for the JoyeAuto box (which I just requested) I'm officially "One Irate Customer".

icngacsn 03-22-2021 03:16 PM

On the front camera issue, I assume if you change back to Mercedes electronics the front camera works. I'm curious if the cameras are displayed if you press the 360° button. Does that result in the camera being displayed if in CarPlay?

Cheers

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e76a49d677.jpg

icngacsn 03-22-2021 03:17 PM

I'm going to call the GTA Car Kits company to ask them about my car (the Cabriolet) and the camera issue.

Thanks for the replies!

S63C4 03-22-2021 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wsevans (Post 8297139)

Originally Posted by S63C4 (Post 8297635)
Yup, me too. You didn't mention that this front camera problem happens ALL THE TIME, not just when using AA. I'm especially pissed about this because I spent the ridiculous price of $345 to get the Mid City 360 degree camera module that lets you switch on the camera while parking by simply flicking the shift lever down.
Until there's a firmware update for the JoyeAuto box (which I just requested) I'm officially "One Irate Customer".

And... Here's the fix!

I'll save you some time... Grab the attached, unzip it to the root of a small USB thumb drive (8 GB is fine, up to 32 GB will probably work) FORMATTED FAT32 1024 B/sec.
Unplug the power connector from the unit, using the supplied adapter, plug the thumb drive into the update port, plug the power back in. When the blue LED stops fast-flashing and goes solid on, unplug the power, then remove the thumb drive adapter. Plug the power back in and enjoy having your front camera protect your valence once again!

wsevans 03-22-2021 11:53 PM

The Joyauto CarPlay unit I installed will only display the rear camera when the car is in reverse. The only way the 360 camera will be displayed on command is switched back to the Mercedes Command Unit.

S63C4 03-23-2021 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by wsevans (Post 8298841)
The Joyauto CarPlay unit I installed will only display the rear camera when the car is in reverse. The only way the 360 camera will be displayed on command is switched back to the Mercedes Command Unit.

Not anymore! :D

wsevans 03-25-2021 11:35 PM

@S63C4 Thanks for the tips on the firmware update for the Joyeauto unit. Update applied today and the 360 camera view is BACK!!!. For anyone who might have problems, I tried several USB sticks before I could get the update to work. There is some compatibility issue (I have no idea what the issue is and yes I erased them before using them) with the older USB drives I had laying around the house. The newest USB drive I had is a year old and worked fine.

S63C4 03-26-2021 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by wsevans (Post 8301287)
@S63C4 Thanks for the tips on the firmware update for the Joyeauto unit. Update applied today and the 360 camera view is BACK!!!. For anyone who might have problems, I tried several USB sticks before I could get the update to work. There is some compatibility issue (I have no idea what the issue is and yes I erased them before using them) with the older USB drives I had laying around the house. The newest USB drive I had is a year old and worked fine.

Maybe you overlooked the step of formatting to fat32 and using a small thumb drive (8GB). But, I'm very happy you got it done and have your front camera when pulling up to curbs! I know how useful it is and I'd never want to be without it.

You're VERY WELCOME!!

-Steve

wsevans 03-26-2021 01:17 PM

Definitely erased and format to FAT32 the USB Drive. I am certain there is a compatibility or hardware issue. I have a plastic baggie with a bunch of USB drives. Some are very old. I have a 2019 MacBook and use a dock to use any USB devices. I couldn't even access several of the older ones.

icngacsn 03-31-2021 07:10 PM

@S63C4 Thanks so much!

So for anyone that has applied this update, can you please confirm that when using CarPlay and you press the 360° camera button in the picture, the front camera is shown?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...81929b782a.jpg

Cheers!

wsevans 04-01-2021 01:46 AM

I can confirm that after the update is applied, the 360 degree cameras will function when you press the appropriate button.

S63C4 04-01-2021 03:09 AM

GTA SUX

Originally Posted by icngacsn (Post 8298454)
I'm going to call the GTA Car Kits company to ask them about my car (the Cabriolet) and the camera issue.

Thanks for the replies!

I can can confirm that GTA CarKits DOES NOT HAVE THE UPDATE THAT FIXES THIS PROBLEM.

icngacsn 04-01-2021 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone! - placing my order for a JoyeAuto one now :)

KVRSOS 12-07-2021 03:02 PM

Is the correct unbit for a 2017 S65 Cab?

Thanks, K

wsevans 12-07-2021 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by KVRSOS (Post 8469227)

https://www.amazon.com/JOYEAUTO-Wire...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Thanks, K

I suggest you contact the vendor with your VIN to be sure. Good luck

S63C4 12-08-2021 03:09 AM

You're in LUCK!!

Originally Posted by KVRSOS (Post 8469227)

https://www.amazon.com/JOYEAUTO-Wire...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Thanks, K

Yes, it is, however, I can save you some money. Brand New In Box

stan_tetters 10-09-2022 07:02 PM

Gtacarkits carplay unit issue

I have just completed the install today (not fun - several challenges not described in the video on their website).
Carplay is working but the sound is only coming out of the left speakers and quality is poor (distorted when loud) - very frustrating!
Has anyone had a that problem after installing the kit? Other sound sources are fine. I cant find any user manual online so if anyone has found one, let me know. Thanks!
I have sent in a support request to them.

S63C4 10-10-2022 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by stan_tetters (Post 8648700)
I have just completed the install today (not fun - several challenges not described in the video on their website).
Carplay is working but the sound is only coming out of the left speakers and quality is poor (distorted when loud) - very frustrating!
Has anyone had a that problem after installing the kit? Other sound sources are fine. I cant find any user manual online so if anyone has found one, let me know. Thanks!
I have sent in a support request to them.

One or more of 4 possible problems:
1) Bad unit (main box) (doubtful)
2) Bad 3.5mm cable
3) Bad 3.5mm to USB adapter
4) Bad 3.5mm to RCA adapter

Solution(s)/Diagnostics:
1) If using a 3.5mm to USB adapter, change to 3.5mm to RCA adapter or vice-versa.
2) Replace 3.5mm cable.
3) If the above doesn't change/correct the problem, you have a defective box.

stan_tetters 10-10-2022 07:29 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I agree with your assessment, I didn't get a 3.5mm to RCA cable, but just a regular 3.5mm cable which plugs into the cable harness audio in and comes through to a USB to 3.5 adapter in the center console. I think you are saying you can use a 3.5 to RCA instead and use left/right inputs on the harness (currently unused).
i suspect the USB adapter. I will take a look at it again at the weekend when i can face taking the center off console off again! I inadvertently dropped a bolt down into a black hole in the rear center console last time! Also found detaching the light in the rear console storage area really fiddly.
i may need to try and take the rear center console off to find the bolt, but no idea how to do it.
No useful suggestions from GTA yet, just “did you connect the cable”.

S63C4 10-11-2022 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by stan_tetters (Post 8649297)
Thanks for the ideas. I agree with your assessment, I didn't get a 3.5mm to RCA cable, but just a regular 3.5mm cable which plugs into the cable harness audio in and comes through to a USB to 3.5 adapter in the center console. I think you are saying you can use a 3.5 to RCA instead and use left/right inputs on the harness (currently unused).
i suspect the USB adapter. I will take a look at it again at the weekend when i can face taking the center off console off again! I inadvertently dropped a bolt down into a black hole in the rear center console last time! Also found detaching the light in the rear console storage area really fiddly.
i may need to try and take the rear center console off to find the bolt, but no idea how to do it.
No useful suggestions from GTA yet, just “did you connect the cable”.

No, don't do that. Those female RCAs from the box are not audio outputs, they're inputs. I meant that you can eliminate the USB adapter and plug into the White (left) and Red (Right) RCA Auxiliary inputs in the console. That's actually the preferred method.

stan_tetters 10-11-2022 08:09 PM

Ah, my car doesn’t have RCA inputs in the console hence the confusion. I notice the non-coupe car in the gtacarkits video does, i assume your S63 coupe does too?
Update - the unit is now not working at all - it reset a few times when changing bias balance to double check three was no sound from the one side, then it shut down and will not restart. Oem unit is still working fine. Assuming it doesn’t magically start working in the morning, i am going to ask for a replacement unit.

华凌安 12-09-2022 12:55 AM

you can install the android decoder, it is built-in wireless apple carplay and android auto

S63C4 12-25-2022 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 华凌安 (Post 8682592)
you can install the android decoder, it is built-in wireless apple carplay and android auto

How about supplying a url link?

ConvertibleVee 01-03-2023 12:51 AM

Hi All! New to the forums, just purchased a 17 S550 Cab and first thing I did was go looking for a carplay solution. I got the JoyeAuto kit, and got to the part where I plug it in. Figured I'd better test everything and much to my chagrin the video output was not working. I checked the connections numerous times, doesn't seem to have any issue there and the box on the whole seemed to work because I could connect to it and get carplay running (confirmed by audio coming out of "carplay" on my phone and google maps turning into carplay mode when guidance was started). Weird thing I noticed was when I would unplug an LVDS cable, for a brief moment I'd get the video data to show up on the screen, but it was static, very small and stacked on itself three times. Hope these pics aren't enormous but i've uploaded two to show you what I mean.

Anyone run into this issue? I'm assuming my main unit has some issue but maybe there's just something I'm missing.

Also as a quick aside, taking the console apart was no big sweat EXCEPT the rear lighted coin/storage tray. So much so that I've managed to get the thing stuck. But (and I'm going to assume this is a Coupe/Cab issue) did anyone else find it almost impossible to lift the console more than a few inches? The GTA video showed the console basically off, I could never move mine far back enough so that console hooks could clear the HVAC consoles and dash.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...18c55985bd.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3acc21e708.jpg

Edit: and one final question, has anyone used the HDMI input on the device? Is it possible to connect something directly to it and have the audio/video display? Not something I'd use often but I'd love to be able to plug my tab or laptop into the hdmi to view some media files in a pinch.

Scoobsky 04-30-2023 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by jaykishan_g (Post 7856344)

Hi guys,

This post is a few years old but it seems Apple CarPlay's software now works in older versions of the C217.
Mine is a 2015 S63 Coupe and Apple CarPlay is working.

However, when it pairs with the phone and is working as normal, I cant use the screen for anything else like the native MB SatVav, cant switch to Radio or Car settings or the massaging seats or anything else accessed by the standard buttons in the centre console.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

Scoobsky 04-30-2023 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobsky (Post 8769223)
Hi guys,

This post is a few years old but it seems Apple CarPlay's software now works in older versions of the C217.

However, when it pairs with the phone and is working as normal, I cant use the screen for anything else like the native MB SatVav, cant switch to Radio or Car settings or the massaging seats or anything else accessed by the standard buttons in the centre console.

Found out what the issue was, I just needed to press the Return button for a couple of seconds and it reverts back into Native MB Infotainment mode :)

All works perfectly well now :))

haa 04-30-2023 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobsky (Post 8769223)
Hi guys,

I bet you are not the first owner of this car. Most likely explanation is the previous owner had installed a CarPlay adapter. Enjoy

S63C4 05-01-2023 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by haa (Post 8769345)
I bet you are not the first owner of this car. Most likely explanation is the previous owner had installed a CarPlay adapter. Enjoy

Yup. I was gonna say the exact same thing. I couldn't imagine anyone thinking that Carplay came factory installed with Comand NTG 5.0 at any time.

KVRSOS 06-15-2023 01:41 PM

I just installed the ZZ unit, and it has worked very well. I used Phantom Electronics in the LA area for the installation, and Howard is great to work with.

https://zz-2.com/collections/c-play-...ucts/it-ntg5-w

Blum keilany 06-28-2023 07:05 AM

Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto functionality are truly enticing features that captivate users.

CARMAN1815 08-16-2023 12:17 PM

In my video about half way through you’ll see a bit of the apple car play I installed myself in my 2015 S63

Big Question: Do you fit? Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe C217 CAR REVIEW -BIG GULP EXOTICS

djcwardog 08-17-2023 06:00 PM

I just installed the UNavi CarPlay/Android Auto kit into my C217. It works fine so far as I can tell. You get the CarPlay screen by doing a long press on the “back arrow” button on your console. Do another long press and the factory COMAND screen comes back. Be sure you select “AUX” as your media source before going to CarPlay though if you hope to hear any music or nav voices while in CarPlay.

Apple CarPlay for 2008-2020 Mercedes Benz S Class | Wireless & Wired | CarPlay & Android Auto Upgrade Module / Adapter2014-2018 | LCD Screen Displays / Android Auto & CarPlay Kit

https://unavi-usa.com/products/apple...module-adapter

Not a horrible task to install. Pop off rear of console a/c vents and get to the four T25 bolts that secure console to car floor. Two more of those bolts await you up front under the cup holders and rubber mat. No need to actually REMOVE the center console. Instead you merely lift it up from the back and pull it rearward enough to clear the head unit. When you get the head unit out (a pair of T15 screws) you must move the factory MOST (orange fiber optic cables) jack to the new T-harness male quad lock that goes into the head unit. Plug the factory male quad lock into the T-Harness female quad lock, then run the cabling from behind the audio head unit down and back to the transmission tunnel along the center of the car. The new unit rests there, covered by the console when you put everything back together. They link you to a decent install video for our cars when you buy. Although I connected and tried the wireless 5G way, I turned off the wireless CarPlay. Getting sound out was a PITA until I just hooked up my phone with a USB cable with wireless turned off. This unit is seen by the car as an “AUX” source so you have to go into MEDIA and select AUX to hear anything. You plug their aux cable with USB adapter into one of the car’s two USB jacks inside the center console. Plug your iPhone into their supplied USB input (female jack) cable. Both of these are run up into the center console after you unsnap the plate that holds the factory USB and component plugs,

MeganFang 08-17-2023 10:37 PM

Tips

I think some third-party Apple Music Converters could also achieve this. They could solve the DRM encryption problem. The one I’m using now is DumpMedia Apple Music Converter. It’s fast with flexible output formats. I usually download my loved songs to a USB and connect the USB to my car so that I could play those songs offline. Hope it’s helpful for you.

lexnoir 08-21-2023 10:18 AM

I purchased the GTA Car Kits version. Can anyone confirm they've updated the 360 camera to work when switching from reverse to forward? Last I read it works in reverse, but to get the front camera you have to hit your MB 360 button. I'd prefer it automatically update from rear to front camera when reversing and going forward. Please advise.

<EDIT>. Finished my install today. While overall it was easy, just a real pain hopping in the back of the coupe, then to the front then to the back. The hardest part for me was getting the console to go back into place and lining up the holes for the console. The video made it look easy but I spent 25 minutes or more because I was paranoid about damaging a cable or scratching something when reinstalling the console. Finally got it back in. You DEFINIETLY need the magnet tools, I would have lost damn near all my screws without it. I still lost two that fell into the ether unreachable by my hand or magnet tool.

I can confirm, GTACarKits still does not switch from reverse cam to front cam if you backup first. The 360 button does not activate when in Android Auto mode. I can live with it. I only really wanted it for Google Maps and maybe hands-free Spotify. Otherwise I don’t see me using it all that frequently. But others may feel differently.

wheatswake 12-30-2023 01:12 PM

I am trying to remove the upper section of the center console on a C217 (coupe) in which it seems I have to remove the rear console as well. This requires removing the rear seats to remove the rear center console. I have looked and have not seen anyone mention this for the coupe but the WIS shows this it what has to happen. Can anyone confirm this?

CARMAN1815 12-30-2023 03:06 PM

you don’t have to remove rear seats, but do have to remove center console. you go in through the rear seats center console where ash tray is to pull it all out after unscrewing it from within that cubby

Originally Posted by wheatswake (Post 8900371)
I am trying to remove the upper section of the center console on a C217 (coupe) in which it seems I have to remove the rear console as well. This requires removing the rear seats to remove the rear center console. I have looked and have not seen anyone mention this for the coupe but the WIS shows this it what has to happen. Can anyone confirm this?

wheatswake 12-30-2023 03:40 PM

Thanks, I got it. Had to remove all four screws in the rear vent area not two like the sedan.

I was able to place the CarPlay module behind the usb port panel inside the console for easy access.

Carlinklife 01-01-2024 07:59 AM

Carlinklife Wireless CarPlay Android Auto Module For Mercedes Benz C217 NTG 5.0

https://carlinklife.com/products/wir...reverse-camera

Discount code "mbworld"

nhurley81 01-17-2024 08:31 AM

Help!

Hey guys. Installed the hour joyeauto unit. Everything works great and as advertised BUTTTT…..

I have a few horizontal static lines going across my screen (only when I’m in CarPlay mode….normal MB mode is unaffected). The joyeauto “support” has been the opposite of helpful and nearly impossible to get anything of value out of them. I’ve tried resetting all the dip switches. I’ve try every combo of dip switches. Nothing is fixing these lines on the screen. I’ve checked the line out cable and that’s good to go. Please help!
Having some problems trying to upload a picture, but I will as soon as I can.

e55phil 01-17-2024 01:36 PM

I found Joyauto customer service bad also

BIGWILL_88 01-30-2024 08:49 PM

GTA Install Complete in my 16 S550

Completed the install, pretty simple and cut and dry however when in Apple Carplay mode I am not getting any sound. Should my phone be plugged in for sound or using bluetooth? I tried both but getting nothing. Anyone else had this problem and know of a fix? Thanks in advance.

carputech 01-31-2024 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by BIGWILL_88 (Post 8916127)
Completed the install, pretty simple and cut and dry however when in Apple Carplay mode I am not getting any sound. Should my phone be plugged in for sound or using bluetooth? I tried both but getting nothing. Anyone else had this problem and know of a fix? Thanks in advance.

There will be a row of switches on your Carplay Module, If everything goes well except the sound of Apple Carplay, then there is a high probability that the settings there are incorrect. You should ask the seller for help. They will tell you how the switches of their product should be set based on your car model.

lexnoir 01-31-2024 07:28 AM

+1

Per the above comment I agree. Check the dip switches ensure they are set correctly. I got the GTA kit not Joyauto but I suspect they are the same. You should be able to get sound via BT or by plugging it in. But I have an Android not iPhone. Also ensure the audio/media volume on your phone is turned up.

carputech 01-31-2024 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by lexnoir (Post 8916262)
Per the above comment I agree. Check the dip switches ensure they are set correctly. I got the GTA kit not Joyauto but I suspect they are the same. You should be able to get sound via BT or by plugging it in. But I have an Android not iPhone. Also ensure the audio/media volume on your phone is turned up.

Although the products are different, the basic principles are the same.