S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

84 500sel Euro spec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 500sel
84 500sel Euro spec

Hello everyone just wanting to make a post about my car, and the story behind it so far. I purchased this car at the beginning of the year from an estate auction in non running form. It has sat since 1999 and I am in the process of getting it running. So before even trying to put a battery or any fuel in it I decided to put it up on the lift and do a once over to assess the vehicles current state. The fuel pump was corroded to the point that it was falling apart and the fuel lines were in about the same shape. Also there is a hydraulic fluid leak in the rear of the car just before what looks to be a distribution block. So far since I have had it on the lift I have replaced the fuel pump and filter and all correlating hoses that were rotted too bad. So now I am on to figuring out this hydraulic leak and then soon to try and start the car with some fresh gas for the first time In 16 years. But first since I am not too familiar with this platform I figured I would see if there are any recommendations before I go to try and start this thing in so long. On another note literally just today I found out this car was not originally sold in the USA, but rather somewhere in Europe, I'm assuming in or around Germany not sure. I didn't notice the subtle hints that were staring me in the face on this car telling me it wasn't your typical 500sel. I noticed that the front bumper had the long front plate bracket, but I didn't pay it any mind, but the rear plate bolts are also setup for a Euro plate, I thought maybe the USA bracket utilized the euro bolt pattern and it may I'm nog sure, so again I payed it no mind. But today as I sat in the car looking through it I noticed the hvac controls were all in German!?! I just thought maybe they sticker over in English for the US market, kinda getting suspicious at this point. Then I noticed the heat range tumbler I guess you could call it is in Celsius, ok what's going on here lol. As I look around staring me in the face is the cruise control stick, blatantly screaming in my face all German lettering no English whatsoever. Then I peer up To the instrument cluster and the temp gauge is in Celsius also, but the Speedo is MPH not KPH so that was kind of throwing me for a loop, but at the same time I'm not sure if Germany uses MPH or KPH. So as I proceed to make an account on here to ask if my car is a Euro spec car or not I decide to look in the driver door jamb to see if the lettering is in German or not and was pleasantly surprised by a riveted on tag that said this vehicle was Imported by someone I believe it said Ozar motors. Not sure I'll have to check. Now I know reading up on these cars there was a large grey market for these cars because they were in such high demand back in the day. So as it is right now it's not a gem and needs some love but it's a work In progress. If anyone has any input on what thus car is all about pros and cons feel free to let me know I would love to learn more about it. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 500sel
84 500sel Euro spec-878_zps4bvuz9ad.jpg
84 500sel Euro spec-880_zpsbvvuarg0.jpg
84 500sel Euro spec-879_zpsosaeqidm.jpg