S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Newbie ... found an excellent 1983 300SD ... seeking guidance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering a 1983 300SD
Newbie ... found an excellent 1983 300SD ... seeking guidance

Greetings from a newbie. Please go easy on me .

I have in the past owned 3 Mercedes but it's been probably 20 years since I've had one. Among them long ago was an early 80s 300D which I enjoyed and was in nice shape.

Lately the Benz Bug has bit again and I just started seeking what I could find. And I think I may have found something well worth considering but need some pointers before I go check it out and some general hand holding through the process.

What I know about the car. It's a 2-owner, all original 1983 300SD. The current owner has had it at least 20 years. The car has been garaged its entire life, and is garaged to this moment. The current owner has only owned Mercedes and loves them.

The car has approx 220,000 miles, the odometer stopped at 209 but he knows his driving and calculated that to be accurate. He has had it maintained by a local independent Mercedes Tech. He owner two other later model Mercedes and this car has been sitting in his garage a few years. He drives it once a week now to keep it running and has also kept the oil changed on time whether he was driving it or not.

I spoke with the current owner for about an hour by phone. Clearly he loves these cars. Overall, the car has zero rust, no dents, never been in an accident. The interior is near perfect and everything works, all windows, sunroof, etc. The current owner is quite wealthy and loves his cars.

A few things concern me though. He indicated that it smokes upon startup and keeps smoking until it warms up. I know enough to do some basic testing on the spot when I go look at the car, for example, it should fire right up from a cold start, and then the simple blow-by test by loosening the oil filler cap and if it dances around, not good. So basic stuff like that. Other than that I intend to check all the fluids cold and look for leaks, etc. I am told there are leaks no larger that a drop here and there.

Also, he did not know the mpg on this car. He described a 309 mile trip he made on one tank. Well, do the math and that's terrible mpg. I am thinking the engine could use a valve adjustment and diesel purge to clean it up internally...? I have no way to do a compression check on my own. I'm not a mechanic and don't have a shop.

Other known issues with the car is, the air condition stopped working but the heat blows hot. The owner thinks its the compressor. Also, the front seat adjustments that are on the doors, the plastic levers have broken so the seat adjustment switches need replaced on both front doors. As far as issues, that's all the owner could tell me about. Otherwise, he says the car appears like new.

Anyway, I love these old cars but I am not a mechanic. I understand the principles behind things but when it comes down to rolling up my sleeves and diving in, I can keep up with the filters and fluid changes, keeping the car detailed and clean, etc. Having owned an early 80s 300D before, I at least have some exposure to these things.

The car is silver with dark blue interior. As mentioned, garage-kept since day one. Asking price is $3,000. I believe he would come down on that, especially if he believes he's placing the car in the care of another Benz enthusiast... I'm guessing I could probably pay $2,000 and drive it home.

So, are there some suggestions as to what I need to pay attention to when I go look at the car?

These issues I've mentioned, what would be things that could contribute to a smoking start and so so great mileage? I believe I can tap into a reputable independent Benz mechanic about an hour away who also loves these older cars.

I've also been reading up that the timing chains probably should be replaced around this mileage. If I acquire the car, is that something I should consider having done, once it's established the engine is solid and sound?

Anyway, I love these older Mercedes but not a man of means by any means. I'm thinking if I got the car for $2k once things check out, I really don't want to put more than another $3k or so in the car to get it up to where it should be.

So, I'm asking for feedback, observations suggestions, good and bad. Maybe I'm an idiot for considering a car like this and should focus on something else? If I acquire this, could I turn here every now and then for moral support and encouragement LOL.

Many thanks in advance.