S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

New (to me!) '86 560SEL, questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
560sel
New (to me!) '86 560SEL, questions...

Hi all, I just acquired the 560SEL, it is in excellent condition and the PO put a lot of money into it recently. He purchased another '86 560SEL with 30K less miles so sold this one (62K mi). I have some questions that I can't find answers to on the forum. Forgive me if I repeat questions previously asked.

1. Does the front seat ( either one) move back when exiting the car to allow room to get out? Mine does not, I thought this was a feature but perhaps not.

2. No interior lights or courtesy lights go on when opening the driver side door. They work with all other doors. Bad switch? Easy to R&R? Could there be a fuse? or wiring issue in the car somewhere?

3. The radio works, the antenna does not. It looks like a wire was previously disconnected at the antenna motor (a rather thick black wire with some sort of boxy connector) but I don't know why it would have been. Is there any harm that could happen to the radio by connecting it and seeing what happens?

4. Passenger mirror goes in/out, but not up/down. Any suggestions on fixing, or ...?

5. Opening up the sunroof, the wind deflector does not pop up... should it? If so, how does one fix that?

6. Outside temp does not show up on the dash area. Is there a light not working inside the screen? I can see some numbers if I look at the window from the side, but it's not right.

7. Lastly, I have a back seat "rattle" when it is unoccupied, but is quiet when someone sits there. Any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks for any hints or suggestions. I do most of the light to moderate work and maintenance on my '57 TR3, '72 Stag and '80 TR8, so I can turn wrenches but this baby is new to me and I don't have a repair manual. I imagine they are available?
Rand