S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Replaced Tail Light Lens and Tri Luminous Band

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 S500, 99 SL500, 88 560SL, 87 BMW 635
Lightbulb Replaced Tail Light Lens and Tri Luminous Band

This is for anyone that's looking to change out their tail lights with an after market non-OEM brand. I found mine on Amazon.
First, my tail lights were really sad. One was moldy and wet all the time, The center Tri Luminous band was cracked and the last trip through the car was took off half of the left side. The left lens was tinted pink

I have wanted to fix this eyesore for that last year and didn't want to cheap out on a non-OEM brand. But I just didn't have it in my budget.
So I jumped on Amazon and found two kits, one for ~$88 and one for ~$122. They both looked identical so I went with the cheaper of the two.
The package arrived super quick and was fairly well packed with some form fitting foam and bubble wrap. All three components were as new.
I won't go into how to remove the pieces, that's already been written about. I'm just sharing my findings and photos.
After everything was removed I found my previously rust free W140 had bubbling paint with rust underneath the plastic trim that covers the trunk latch as well as rust around the trunk release.
I sanded those components and sealed with rust converter. I'm going to sand smooth and prime and paint when the paint arrives.
I installed the lenses, took a little fiddling. BTW, the new ones come with a single piece foam gasket so you'll need to remove the original OEM gasket around the lens opening or the replacements won't fit.
When I got the first one in place I was a little disappointed. It seemed that there was a HUGE gap that would allow water from the trunk drain channel to fill the lens.
Anyway, I put the rear lens cap (the OE piece with all the wiring) on the back of the lens and finger tightened all the nuts to the posts.
Then I gently went around and tightened further (as you would a valve cover or a wheel) and was surprise how that huge gap disappeared. The foam gasket is really firm so gently tightening over time is the key.
I will, however, put a very small bead of caulk between the plastic lens and the frame of the car just to be safe.
I got everything back together, and lost 2 nuts, and I'm please with the results.
Is it OEM??? NO
Is it better than before?? You decide.
Amazon Link:
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 S500, 99 SL500, 88 560SL, 87 BMW 635
It has been a year and these replacements are holding up very well.
Great deal if you like the look.