S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

S CLASS W140 S6OO V12 1992-1999

Old 11-23-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Mercedes-Benz S420
S CLASS W140 S6OO V12 1992-1999

I have a question,why do so many people including some mechanics will say,"STAY FAR AWAY FROM THAT W140 S600 V12" i mean is it a money pit,will it keep breaking down,etc... Why are so many people against the W140 S600 V12???? I need to kmow because sometime next yr im gonna buy a 92-99 W140 S500 or the S600 and keep in mind i will buy an extended warranty on either vehicle,and yes,upon doing my research there are companies out there there where an extended warranty can be purchased for older cars such as these....Thank you kindly in advance for your feedback...
Old 11-24-2016, 12:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2007 S550, 2012 S550 4-Matic, 2015 GL450
I have heard that the W140 was not designed around a v12 and Mercedes had to shoe horn it in as an after thought. That said anytime you need to do something around the engine probably requires you to drop the engine. I think the added time to work around an engine that big is what eats Benjamins for lunch. However if you are set on a V12 and financially able to maintain it then go for it.

Last edited by KNBS550; 11-24-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 AM

IMO the S600 and 600SEL are just as reliable as any other S class. The key is with a car like this you don't buy on price, you buy the owner and the service history that goes with it. A car that has had regular fluid changes along with upgrades done (wiring harness) will make your ownership much more enjoyable.

I really have no sympathy for the people who buy a cheap S class from a craigslist flipper and then complain about its reliability. Best thing you can do is educate yourself and inquire about the cars history.

Last edited by dan87951; 12-07-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
If it's looked after they very reliable. I have rewired a few. I enjoy working on them. Not cheap to fix.. but when u know them well they not so bad to work on.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1997 Mercedes S420
Originally Posted by KNBS550
I have heard that the W140 was not designed around a v12 and Mercedes had to shoe horn it in as an after thought. That said anytime you need to do something around the engine probably requires you to drop the engine. I think the added time to work around an engine that big is what eats Benjamins for lunch. However if you are set on a V12 and financially able to maintain it then go for it.
I find it very difficult to believe that Mercedes Benz has ever designed anything as an afterthought. They were building V12 engines prior to the design and production of the W140 and knew that their flagship W140 would have a V12 engine. Perhaps a review of a book called Enduring Passion by Leslie Butterfield on the history of the brand would be helpful.

The W140 was not designed to be cheap. It was designed (some say over designed) to be reliable and safe at a time when plastics and aluminum were becoming the materials of choice for so many other brands. My evidence is simply that my car runs as well today as it did the day it came off the showroom floor 30 miles from here and 20 years ago.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:22 AM

1996 Mercedes-Benz S420
Originally Posted by pncurtis
I find it very difficult to believe that Mercedes Benz has ever designed anything as an afterthought. They were building V12 engines prior to the design and production of the W140 and knew that their flagship W140 would have a V12 engine. Perhaps a review of a book called Enduring Passion by Leslie Butterfield on the history of the brand would be helpful.

The W140 was not designed to be cheap. It was designed (some say over designed) to be reliable and safe at a time when plastics and aluminum were becoming the materials of choice for so many other brands. My evidence is simply that my car runs as well today as it did the day it came off the showroom floor 30 miles from here and 20 years ago.
What exactly have you been doing to keep it running that good over the years????
Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 AM

1997 Mercedes S420
Timely and proper maintenance are the keys for me. Regular fluid replacements, flushing, and making sure that everything works all the time are just some of the things I have done by a knowledgeable and trusted mechanic.

In addition, I run Bestline additive products in my engine, fuel, transmission, and power steering which make a huge difference in that they reduce friction which in turn reduces wear when and where it is needed. This is not a product I sell or get otherwise compensated for. it is a product I purchase just like anyone else and use regularly. Please look it up on YouTube for further information.

Finally, I make it a point to drive the car carefully. That doesn't mean slow or timid. It means maintaining distance between me and other objects whether they move or not. It is that distance which prevents accidents. My car has never been in an accident and has its original paint job. I use a product called Glare which is a covalent bonding polymer that protects it from UV rays and hardens the paint surface or in this case the clear coat. See YouTube for further information on Glare.

Being in Southern California and far enough from the ocean, I don't have to worry about rust very much and that is a big help as well.

I am happy to share whatever information I possess that will improve the lives of others. Feel free to ask about anything specific. If I don't know the answer I will say so and perhaps we can then hunt for the answer together.

All my best,
Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 AM

1996 Mercedes-Benz S420
Timely and proper maintenance are the keys for me. Regular fluid replacements, flushing, and making sure that everything works all the time are just some of the things I have done by a knowledgeable and trusted mechanic.

In addition, I run Bestline additive products in my engine, fuel, transmission, and power steering which make a huge difference in that they reduce friction which in turn reduces wear when and where it is needed. This is not a product I sell or get otherwise compensated for. it is a product I purchase just like anyone else and use regularly. Please look it up on YouTube for further information.

Finally, I make it a point to drive the car carefully. That doesn't mean slow or timid. It means maintaining distance between me and other objects whether they move or not. It is that distance which prevents accidents. My car has never been in an accident and has its original paint job. I use a product called Glare which is a covalent bonding polymer that protects it from UV rays and hardens the paint surface or in this case the clear coat. See YouTube for further information on Glare.

Being in Southern California and far enough from the ocean, I don't have to worry about rust very much and that is a big help as well.

I am happy to share whatever information I possess that will improve the lives of others. Feel free to ask about anything specific. If I don't know the answer I will say so and perhaps we can then hunt for the answer together.

All my best,
Great info,much appreciated,what yr and model is your W140??? Im definitely gonna buy a 92-99 W140 next yr sometime,im leaning towards a S500 or S600,any thoughts on those 2 models???
Old 12-20-2016, 01:51 PM

1997 Mercedes S420
I have a 1997 S420. It is my third Mercedes and probably my last. It turned 275,046 miles yesterday.

My take is that I would purchase a 1997 - 1999 W140 as they seem to be the least trouble. I have neither owned nor driven an S500 or an S600 so my comments are based on the representations of others. Since I am retired I tend to stay away from the more costly items as a means of self-preservation though I have nothing to complain about. My inclination would be the S500 because I know people who own them and like them a lot. I have only known two people who had an S600 and they were both purchased brand new and so had no difficulties with the cars at all.

There is a lot more to the S600 than just the engine. These include suspension, electronics, brakes and so on. It is a heavier vehicle and just costs more to maintain. If cost is not an issue the S600 is an elegant vehicle and as near as I can tell, is just as reliable as the S500.

Perhaps S500 and S600 owners will chime in here and teach us all something.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:27 PM

1996 Mercedes-Benz S420
I have a 1997 S420. It is my third Mercedes and probably my last. It turned 275,046 miles yesterday.

My take is that I would purchase a 1997 - 1999 W140 as they seem to be the least trouble. I have neither owned nor driven an S500 or an S600 so my comments are based on the representations of others. Since I am retired I tend to stay away from the more costly items as a means of self-preservation though I have nothing to complain about. My inclination would be the S500 because I know people who own them and like them a lot. I have only known two people who had an S600 and they were both purchased brand new and so had no difficulties with the cars at all.

There is a lot more to the S600 than just the engine. These include suspension, electronics, brakes and so on. It is a heavier vehicle and just costs more to maintain. If cost is not an issue the S600 is an elegant vehicle and as near as I can tell, is just as reliable as the S500.

Perhaps S500 and S600 owners will chime in here and teach us all something.
Ok there's no doubt you know a lot about the 97 S420,the 275,046 miles is that the original engine and trans and do you think if i buy the 97-99 S420 I'll be just as happy as if i wouldve bought a S600 or S500??? You mentioned earlier about REDLINE additives,do you think REDLINE is far superior than the other brands???? Thanks in advance for all the valuable information...

Last edited by steelers6nj; 12-20-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:54 AM

1997 Mercedes S420
I use Bestline additives which can be obtained via Amazon.com. The engine and transmission are both original and neither has ever been opened up for anything other than flushing and oil change.

I suspect that what you will be faced with in the decision making process will have more to do with the confidence you have in the previous owner(s) and the documented maintenance history for the vehicle in question.

As to a comparison of the various models of the W140 you may be interested in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W140 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_S-Class, both of which will inform your decision as you get down to a choice between specific vehicles.

Your choices are governed by quality, cost, and speed (of acquisition) and you may pick any two that are important to you. In your case I would be inclined to look for vehicles that have spent their lives below the USA snow line (deep south and far west) as they are least likely to have undercarriage corrosion. Alternatively, a vehicle life spent in a garage and well maintained is also worth taking a look at. A vehicle that spent its life parked next to an ocean going boat dock is probably not a good candidate either. The goal is not perfection but rather value.

My more subjective response is that I really enjoy my S420. I bought it based on a combination of my confidence in the owner, the maintenance history that accompanied it, its condition, and the price. My goal (and therefore my value) was a vehicle that is safe and reliable. I got both.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E430
pncurtis mentions long-term use of an engine additive called Bestline. Does anyone know if MB recommends for, or against, this kind of product? Or do they make no recommendation at all? I'm curious if the manufacturer has a position on this kind of product.
James
Old 01-04-2017, 01:55 AM

1997 Mercedes S420
I don't know Mercedes-Benz position on this or any other non-Mercedes products. I suspect that Mercedes is inclined to make recommendations regarding only its own products just from a brand and liability standpoint. However, I don't know that to be the case and don't want to mislead you.

I selected Bestline after seeing a lot of other products perform poorly in testing and there are certainly products you don't want to introduce to your vehicle. My suggestion would be that if you are concerned about the efficacy of the product don't introduce it to your engine oil or other fluids.

It really makes a difference in the way my car drives but you might not achieve the same experience and I don't want you to be disappointed.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Mb does not recommend additives. If you use the recomended oils you will not have problems.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E430
additives

Thank you; I think I'll just stick with approved engine oil and filter. Actually, I don't drive that much anymore since I'm retired.
James