S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Sell for parts? Or Part it out? '95 S420

Old 03-07-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w140 s420 1995
Lightbulb Sell for parts? Or Part it out? '95 S420

Hiya. So my beautiful baby, my 95 S420 was struck by what was seemingly an old guy with dementia, drove right into the side of me. Not too hard, but enough to damage the left quarter-panel, and bend the driver's door out of shape. It was still driveable at that point. Ran same as always, no change to the alignment, no seeming damage to the frame but, who can tell, if it's minor. At that point, i thought, I'd just get the settlement, get it fixed up. And then a month later, some *** in a Chrysler POS backed into it while it was parked, and drove off before I could get the plate. I thought they'd wrecked the radiator, but, once I got it towed home, it turned out the leak was just because the re-flow hose had disconnected.

So here's the damage.

The front driver's side: Moderate body damage to front quarter-panel. Heavy damage to driver's door (But glass is fully intact), passenger door trim is off, door is scraped but minor damage, rear quaurter panel is scraped but not dented.
Front damage: Hood vent fins shattered, and hood is bent upwards. Hood latch frame is pushed in. Right side headlight shattered. Radiator pushed in, may be serviceable, may not, but I suspect, from inspection it's 98% fine. Radiator fan may be damaged, and potentially the pully for it, if the radiator was pushed far enough back, but I've not gotten in there.

Beyond that, she ran great, had tons of power, right up until the end. I started her up for just a moment once I got her home, and she started right up, and I turned her off, to avoid damage due to the radiator being disconnected, so, I know she still runs strong.

The interior is in great condition. I no longer have the stock radio, there's a small crack in the shifter-area wood, but other parts of the wood are intact and in good condition. The leather seats are in great condition and well cared for. There are many parts I'm sure would be of use, all inside and some outside. The vacuum system isn't in good condition. I looked at that a couple summers ago and there was some corrosion on the board, and although it pumped, both for the trunk, and the doors, it would pull the doors, but after a short bit, would release them just a hair, so there's a line leak somewhere. I could get photos together, but I initially wanted to get some opinions.

So the insurance company "totaled" it, because that's what they do, but I refused to let them pay me 100$ for the vehicle in any condition. the scrap value is higher than that. Now I have to figure out, if it's worth the time to sell off parts individually, at a cut rate, to other Mercedes owners, sell the whole thing to one Mercedes person who wants to part it out, near my area, or just sell the whole thing for scrap.

I'm in the Portland Oregon/ Vancouver Washington area. I'm willing to let the whole thing go to someone who would want to sell off the parts, or sell individual parts, provided people want to pay for shipping or come pick things up, so, any thoughts? Is shipping too crazy on things to sell long distance?

Thanks,
Trish.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
if you had time,and storage,a ebay account willing to ship parts.You could make good.Lots of buyers around the world for parts.I buy some at www.ebay.de
Old 03-08-2018, 10:14 PM

92`400SE
do you have pics of your car (or whats left of it)? I could use some spare parts, dpending on what you have
Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 PM

w140 s420 1995
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I can get some photos. I've been terribly busy getting ready for a conference travel, highlighting the reason I don't have time to make a project of fixing the body-work up. I'll try to post them tomorrow, but if you list a few items you're looking for, I can focus on that or know if they're in good condition.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:15 AM

97s420 and 86420sel
I will love to buy parts from you

I will love to see pictures if any of the Mercedes. That way I can pick out the parts from you. Thank you