MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W140) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w140-29/)
-   -   1999 (W140) S500 Driver door does not unlock (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w140/732578-1999-w140-s500-driver-door-does-not-unlock.html)

k7k 01-10-2019 10:48 PM

1999 (W140) S500 Driver door does not unlock

This happened earlier today. I parked the (1999 S500 W140) car at the Dr, office. When I came back to unlock the car (with my remote), I see the parking lights flashing which is normal behavior); however, the driver side door does not unlock. I thought there may be an issue with the batteries in the remote. Tried to open the doors by inserting the key into the key-hole. I see a small movement on the latch (ie., it does not come up fully to unlock the door)..

Finally, has to call AAA to come and unlock the door, so that I could get home. However, I have to leave the doors unlocked (as I am not able to unlock the car, once it is locked)

Can you folks please let me know how I can fix the mechanical lock to work? Once I figure this out, hopefully the remote will work too.

I live in Maryland/Washington DC area. If you are aware of any good mechanics I can take the car, please let me know as well.

My cell # is 2026578770.. Thanks very much

Plutoe 01-11-2019 06:47 PM

Very simple and time consuming----go to any dealer for the part number then remove the door panel and replace the part-----for a rookie, plan a weekend!
PS there are thousands of youtube crap on the internet.

k7k 01-11-2019 07:54 PM

Thanks a lot Plutoe.. What would be the part name that I need to order? Would you know please?

Plutoe 01-12-2019 12:15 PM

To identify the part correctly----post your VIN

k7k 01-12-2019 04:59 PM

The vin # is WDBGA51g3XA426966.

As I mentioned, if I insert the key into the key-hole, I am able to lock this (ie the latch on the door goes down completely). However, when I try to unlock, the latch goes up partially and the door is still locked. I am thinking that some spring action is out of whack!

I also noticed that the keys ( for other door locks and the trunk) no longer work either.. I am unable to lock or unlock the rest of the doors or release the trunk using these keys on the front panel.

Plutoe 01-12-2019 08:22 PM

Based upon the additional information you just supplied, I know believe the issue is with the locking system and not the drivers side locking mechanism part 140 720 45 35---I'd see a guy who is familiar with the older MB's.

burgca 01-14-2019 10:54 AM

Here is a link to find independent Mercedes mechanics
https://www.benzshops.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgLdR_D_BwE

LdeCamp 10-20-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by k7k (Post 7652636)
The vin # is WDBGA51g3XA426966.

As I mentioned, if I insert the key into the key-hole, I am able to lock this (ie the latch on the door goes down completely). However, when I try to unlock, the latch goes up partially and the door is still locked. I am thinking that some spring action is out of whack!

I also noticed that the keys ( for other door locks and the trunk) no longer work either.. I am unable to lock or unlock the rest of the doors or release the trunk using these keys on the front panel.

The W140 central locking system includes two microswitches mounted at the top of the driver's door latch assembly. These switches detect key rotation and cause the system to lock or unlock the doors. NOTE: There is not a direct physical connection between the key cylinder and the lock assembly. The assembly which includes the lock/unlock microswitches is 140-820-69-10. To replace these switches, the whole latch/lock system must be removed from the door, not a task for the faint of heart or time constrained. It seems likely that one of your microswitches is no longer closing to trigger the "unlock" request. Also: always remenber to reset the central locking controller after any work, by pulling and reinserting Fuse #11 in the rear fuse block in the trunk.