S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 S430 Airmatic Misadventures. Not sure which direction to go.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
2000 S430 Airmatic Misadventures. Not sure which direction to go.

Hello everyone, new here. I've had my 2000 S430 since December 2019, got a good deal on it and thought I'd buy it to daily drive a year or two or hell even three. Despite the fact that I really like this car, I'm getting really frustrated fighting the airmatic. Details below.

I've been fighting the air suspension of this car since I bought it a few months ago, and without access to SDS I am getting very worn out fighting with it. So this has me considering switching to coilovers so I don't have to deal with this headache anymore. I'm currently fighting an air compressor that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, coupled with the fact that it won't even raise the car properly. I've done soapy water tests (shocks are fine), rebuilt the compressor today, swapped the valve block twice (finally have a working one). I have to swap the connector tomorrow from the car's wiring harness that plugs into the compressor because one of the leads was molten and seized. I have bare wires currently under the car because I cut the connection. If all that fails, and I can't get this airmatic to work...I think I'll be swapping to coilovers before I spend more money on a new compressor just to find another problem.

My research has brought me to a couple of options which I will list:

1. Ceika Coilovers - Seems like the best choice, and are the best price at about $1100. I've already contacted them regarding stock and shipping. They have adjustable height which is nice and presumably adjustable dampening, and a few other options on their page while ordering. Are these worth it? I'd love to have adjustable coilovers.

2. Yellow Speed - Looks like they're based in the UK and I have seen people convert to these although I'm not so sure how the order process works. I have a friend in the UK so I was thinking of ordering and shipping to him, then having him send them to me via a possibly quicker way? This is my second option.

3. Arnott Conversion - Most expensive option, non adjustable, but it seems like a direct swap plus they come with that thing that fools the car into thinking it has airmatic. This is basically the route I'd go if all else fails, but I'd like to have adjustable ride height and save the extra $400 for something else.

4. Strutmasters - It's an option but I've read that the car sits too high with them so I'll probably skip on these. It's on the list to show that I know about these and I'd rather not order them because of the ride height thing.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 05-21-2020, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
The ride with the air suspension is much better than coil overs .

Try to get airmatic repaired to work it sounds like your struts and valve blocks are good and it’s just an electrical overload issue

ceika and yellow speed are both Chinese companies . Don’t concern yourself with their distributor location the products are Chinese
Old 05-21-2020, 01:05 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by tusabes
The ride with the air suspension is much better than coil overs .

Try to get airmatic repaired to work it sounds like your struts and valve blocks are good and it’s just an electrical overload issue

ceika and yellow speed are both Chinese companies . Don’t concern yourself with their distributor location the products are Chinese
I agree with you, it’s just getting demoralizing chasing after all these issues. Two valve blocks, now the compressor thing. And it all started from my car dropping in the rear overnight...now the rear is up, front is down, and a non working compressor lol. At one point it got stuck fully raised as well. Kinda wish I didn’t mess with it to begin with.

You mentioned electrical overload. How would I go about hunting that down? I already swapped a brand new Hella relay in, and the 40A fuse is perfectly intact.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Papa_Bless
I agree with you, it’s just getting demoralizing chasing after all these issues. Two valve blocks, now the compressor thing. And it all started from my car dropping in the rear overnight...now the rear is up, front is down, and a non working compressor lol. At one point it got stuck fully raised as well. Kinda wish I didn’t mess with it to begin with.

You mentioned electrical overload. How would I go about hunting that down? I already swapped a brand new Hella relay in, and the 40A fuse is perfectly intact.
yes the relay is usually the problem
Old 05-21-2020, 02:29 AM

2000 S430
yes the relay is usually the problem
I guess I’ll try the old relay again tomorrow, after I fix up the cut wires that is. Have to figure out a new connector.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 AM

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
2005 S600 2005 SL600
A complete Chinese clone of Star Diagnostic System is way cheaper than coil-overs. I would go that route. You're playing parts darts at the moment, throwing parts at the target, hoping to hit the problem.

It's both expensive and frustrating, and it really isn't a substitute for diagnosis...
Old 05-25-2020, 02:34 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by Astro14
A complete Chinese clone of Star Diagnostic System is way cheaper than coil-overs. I would go that route. You're playing parts darts at the moment, throwing parts at the target, hoping to hit the problem.

It's both expensive and frustrating, and it really isn't a substitute for diagnosis...
Turns out I was an idiot....I didn't lower the rear of the car from it's supports so the compressor would just kick on for a little bit and shut off. I knew the car had to be on the ground but I didn't realize I had to let it drop most of the way. This led me to discover some things...

After swapping 3 different valve blocks and leak testing everything I could reach, I found 2 out of the 3 were bad. The used OEM had a HUGE leak on the block itself, so that's why all 4 corners dropped within hours. The eBay one did not leak and was just faulty, it would only allow the car to go up halfway. I threw the original one back in and it works flawlessly, car raised within seconds, raise function works, goes to sleep properly, and it rides smoother than with the other two blocks, no leaks. Going to keep it this way and start trying to piece together a SDS before I go any further because after I drove it I don't want to really let the air suspension go. All in all I'm not mad because I didn't throw that much money at it, and I got to learn a little bit more.

Would you or anyone know where I can find an exact parts list of what I need to put one together? I know the versions C3/C4/C5, But I'm hesitant to buy before I know exactly what I need. I also bought an MB II scanner as well to keep around for quick scans to have on top of the SDS that I eventually piece together.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Turns out I was an idiot....I didn't lower the rear of the car from it's supports so the compressor would just kick on for a little bit and shut off. I knew the car had to be on the ground but I didn't realize I had to let it drop most of the way. This led me to discover some things...

After swapping 3 different valve blocks and leak testing everything I could reach, I found 2 out of the 3 were bad. The used OEM had a HUGE leak on the block itself, so that's why all 4 corners dropped within hours. The eBay one did not leak and was just faulty, it would only allow the car to go up halfway. I threw the original one back in and it works flawlessly, car raised within seconds, raise function works, goes to sleep properly, and it rides smoother than with the other two blocks, no leaks. Going to keep it this way and start trying to piece together a SDS before I go any further because after I drove it I don't want to really let the air suspension go. All in all I'm not mad because I didn't throw that much money at it, and I got to learn a little bit more.

Would you or anyone know where I can find an exact parts list of what I need to put one together? I know the versions C3/C4/C5, But I'm hesitant to buy before I know exactly what I need. I also bought an MB II scanner as well to keep around for quick scans to have on top of the SDS that I eventually piece together.
dont try to piece a system together but a complete working system that includes the laptop and works out of the box
Old 05-25-2020, 06:20 PM

2000 S430
dont try to piece a system together but a complete working system that includes the laptop and works out of the box
How much does something like that usually go for because all I've been able to find on eBay are kits that are nearly $1000 that include the laptop...that's 1/3 of what I paid for the car lol. The multiplexer and HDD kits are cheaper around $400 + $100 or so for that Dell D630 laptop. I've read elsewhere that people were buying them at $350 and I've yet to see a C3 go that cheap.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
How much does something like that usually go for because all I've been able to find on eBay are kits that are nearly $1000 that include the laptop...that's 1/3 of what I paid for the car lol. The multiplexer and HDD kits are cheaper around $400 + $100 or so for that Dell D630 laptop. I've read elsewhere that people were buying them at $350 and I've yet to see a C3 go that cheap.
$500 for a complete working system forget ebay search this forum or Benz world for links to buy from good Chinese sellers
Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 PM

2000 S430
$500 for a complete working system forget ebay search this forum or Benz world for links to buy from good Chinese sellers

Sounds good, I figured that would be the route to go. Would you have an opinion on whether I should aim for a C3 or C4? I have read some of the differences and it seems that most narrow it down to wanting a cable connection or a WiFi connection between the laptop and the multiplexer. I assume they can both work on newer and more modern vehicles as well.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Sounds good, I figured that would be the route to go. Would you have an opinion on whether I should aim for a C3 or C4? I have read some of the differences and it seems that most narrow it down to wanting a cable connection or a WiFi connection between the laptop and the multiplexer. I assume they can both work on newer and more modern vehicles as well.
either one is fine just buy a complete working system otherwise you’ll buy pieces you’ll never get to work
Old 05-28-2020, 06:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W221 S500 2010
You have to get a C4. There is one complete (except laptop) on Alixpress for some $450.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32955...archweb201603_

I don´t know if it`s OK to give web links, please let me know if I have to remove it.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
'05 S430, '05 S600
Mercedes Xentry/DAS

You need to contact @pmercury . I just got my system from him (C4) and it's the best thing I could ever have done. He will also give the BEST customer service you will ever need. I only wish I had gotten my system from him a lot sooner!!! Good luck on your search.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:07 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by turbonos7
You need to contact @pmercury . I just got my system from him (C4) and it's the best thing I could ever have done. He will also give the BEST customer service you will ever need. I only wish I had gotten my system from him a lot sooner!!! Good luck on your search.
Well I kinda already ordered a C4 + Cables kit from Alibaba, and a member on BW is helping me with the rest. Either way I hope to be well setup within two weeks after I get everything in the mail. Appreciate the contact though, will save for the future.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
'05 S430, '05 S600
Cool

Well I kinda already ordered a C4 + Cables kit from Alibaba, and a member on BW is helping me with the rest. Either way I hope to be well setup within two weeks after I get everything in the mail. Appreciate the contact though, will save for the future.
Awesome! Hopefully you ordered the C4 with the "military spec chips". You won't regret it. Have fun!
Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
don't worry, in the worst case you junked 100$
half of the people who buy those chinese setup's show up with me for a real install 6 month after they bought it and found the numerous limitations

I'm here to help everyone
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by pmercury
don't worry, in the worst case you junked 100$
half of the people who buy those chinese setup's show up with me for a real install 6 month after they bought it and found the numerous limitations

I'm here to help everyone
I sourced it separately with assistance from BW, hopefully that issue doesn't arise but if it does I have your name written down for future reference anyway. Everything is bookmarked