S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Piston Lapping Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55 AMG, S430, Accord EX, Yamaha SECA II
Exclamation Piston Lapping Noise

I just got my car back from the Mechanic he replaced a seal in the engine that was letting water into the engine. After he replaced the ring the car started making a lapping noise ( tick tick tick tick ) you cna hear the piston go up and down. Its not killer but im use to the car being VERY quiet. I told the mechanic and they took apart the engine to recheck they also changed the timing chain and a few other parts try to figure it out no results. They all want to pass it off as thats just the way they are but it wasnt this loud before.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM or KNOW A SOLUTION.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by jdcholoso
I just got my car back from the Mechanic he replaced a seal in the engine that was letting water into the engine. After he replaced the ring the car started making a lapping noise ( tick tick tick tick ) you cna hear the piston go up and down. Its not killer but im use to the car being VERY quiet. I told the mechanic and they took apart the engine to recheck they also changed the timing chain and a few other parts try to figure it out no results. They all want to pass it off as thats just the way they are but it wasnt this loud before.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM or KNOW A SOLUTION.
Another victim of a sh$%tty mechanic...
I doubt its the piston you hear unless you are about to throw a rod

Lifters? valve adjustment? more than likely something simple if your mechanic had a clue he should know.....
Normal? I think not.... Find another mechanic to work on your car next time please......