Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S
Hello testdrove 2002 S500 today

Hi, The car was faboulous.

I was surpirsed how big it was, i was driving slow and kind of scared to push it because the dealer was right next to me.

But The brakes were very firm, and the car going at 40 felt so light, yet so heavy, accelerates quietly.

I was surprised the steering wheel is so small and light, its really turns easily.

But one issue is was the Steering wheel, when held straight the car would go to the left sightly, i had to hold it a little to the right to keep the car straight.

Are there some alignmnet problems? or is this normal?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Misalignment can cause uneven tire wear, which can in turn cause pulling.

You could have tread problems with the tires; and some brands have been known to pull some regardless.

Unequal inflation can cause pulling, especially if there is much differential in front. The car has a tire pressure monitoring system - you could check that.

A sloped road can cause you to have to countersteer, which can resemble "pulling."

If the steering wasn't pulling (i.e., if you let go briefly and the car steered straight) but was just off-centered, it just needs to be re-centered (part of the alignment process, when done right)
Old 12-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

S
Hey

It was the last one, I believe the steering wheel was of center.there was no pull at all , to any side.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Misalignment can cause uneven tire wear, which can in turn cause pulling.

You could have tread problems with the tires; and some brands have been known to pull some regardless.

Unequal inflation can cause pulling, especially if there is much differential in front. The car has a tire pressure monitoring system - you could check that.

A sloped road can cause you to have to countersteer, which can resemble "pulling."

If the steering wasn't pulling (i.e., if you let go briefly and the car steered straight) but was just off-centered, it just needs to be re-centered (part of the alignment process, when done right)

2002 S500's came with TPMS? I have a 2002 and it does not have it, so I am curious.

As always thanks for all of your info and insights and Happy Holidays to you and yours
Old 12-23-2007, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rccmerc
2002 S500's came with TPMS? I have a 2002 and it does not have it, so I am curious.

As always thanks for all of your info and insights and Happy Holidays to you and yours
Same to you, rccmerc.

Have your dealer re-align the car prior to purchase, if you go ahead with it. Any time it is aligned, be sure the first thing the tech does is to center the steering wheel, before any adjustments are made. I have often sat in the car to hold the wheel centered while the initial setup was done (an off-center wheel is an annoyance to me, too).

The alignment may be perfect now in terms of the three alignment parameters (camber, caster, and toe-in), even with the wheel off center, and the dealer may argue that (correctly) - but if it isn't satisfactory to you, insist that wheel centering be corrected. The way to do it is to re-align it; there's no simple "fix" without it.

My '00 S500 had TPMS; perhaps it was an option.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-23-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

S
Same to you, rccmerc.

Have your dealer re-align the car prior to purchase, if you go ahead with it. Any time it is aligned, be sure the first thing the tech does is to center the steering wheel, before any adjustments are made. I have often sat in the car to hold the wheel centered while the initial setup was done (an off-center wheel is an annoyance to me, too).

The alignment may be perfect now in terms of the three alignment parameters (camber, caster, and toe-in), even with the wheel off center, and the dealer may argue that (correctly) - but if it isn't satisfactory to you, insist that wheel centering be corrected. The way to do it is to re-align it; there's no simple "fix" without it.

My '00 S500 had TPMS; perhaps it was an option.

I told him can you re-align it here, the wheel.

This guy was like ,we dont do that here... So I left.

p.s Im so surprised the Steering wheel/Steering is so soft and easy for such a heavy and big car. Is it really like this for everyone? I expected it to be firm like a tank, but it was acutally like gliding thru butter.

Last edited by AmaSeller; 12-23-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The whole W220 series is much sportier in feel than the earlier S-Classes, and even other smaller models. I enjoy it; thought the older ones had an almost truck-like feel, despite being beautiful cars.

My current W220 4-Matic has a suspension much like my Audi 2.7T (which had a sport suspension), especially on the mid-or firm-ride settings. However, it has a bit heavier steering feel than the Audi (I always though the Audi steering was overboosted). The W220 has better feel of the road.

You must not have been talking to an authorized Mercedes dealer. Ask him to pay for the adjustment though an authorized dealer, or even a good tire shop (most decent ones will have the specifications).

Then, if you buy the car, run, do not walk, and find a good authorized dealership or independent MB mechanic in your area. Never go back to that one.

Wotta Jerk!!

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-23-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

S
The whole W220 series is much sportier in feel than the earlier S-Classes, and even other smaller models. I enjoy it; thought the older ones had an almost truck-like feel, despite being beautiful cars.

My current W220 4-Matic has a suspension much like my Audi 2.7T (which had a sport suspension), especially on the mid-or firm-ride settings. However, it has a bit heavier steering feel than the Audi (I always though the Audi steering was overboosted). The W220 has better feel of the road.

You must not have been talking to an authorized Mercedes dealer. Ask him to pay for the adjustment though an authorized dealer, or even a good tire shop (most decent ones will have the specifications).

Then, if you buy the car, run, do not walk, and find a good authorized dealership or independent MB mechanic in your area. Never go back to that one.

Wotta Jerk!!
Thx, It was not an Official MB dealership, Just a Dealership in Nassua County

http://www.autobase.com/cgi/list.exe?dealer=ssalease

Any Idea how much it costs to re-align the steering-Wheel?

I might just take my mechanic with me, next time. this guy owns an S too, so im sure he knows whats up.

Last edited by AmaSeller; 12-23-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Prices can vary all over the place, depending on whether you do 4-wheel alignment, front-end only, get a "lifetime" alignment program, and where you get it done. Expect between $75 and $150, typically.

You should have your own mechanic check the car over, absolutely!! and while you're at it, arm yourself up a bit with what to look for: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-look-out.html
Old 12-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Banned

S
I made sure the Airamatic actually goes up and down(the Raise car button) and tested some of the electronics, all was fine.

hmm maybe I should negotiate down + get them to fix the steering issue b4 i get the car.