Newbie with some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500
Newbie with some questions

Hello all,

I just bought a 2000 S500 and I love the car. I have a couple of questions about the car and was hoping someone could help me.

1. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it, should the check engine light come on? I know that after you start the car, it will off, but before I start it, it doesn't come on. I took the instrument cluster out because I thought it was a bad bulb, but when I pulled the bulb holder out, I found that it didn't have a bulb. It was just a black piece of plastic that covers the hole. I bought a new bulb and installed it, but the engine light still doesn't come on?

Any idea why the engine light doesn't come on?

2. The door lock and soft close doesn't work for my left rear door. I did a search and found that it could be a pump, but all the posts I read stated that all the door locks didn't work or all the soft close doors didn't work. Could it still be a bad pump if only 1 door is affected?

BTW, this is a great site with a lot of info. You guys are awsome.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by aznlegend
Hello all,

I just bought a 2000 S500 and I love the car. I have a couple of questions about the car and was hoping someone could help me.

1. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it, should the check engine light come on? I know that after you start the car, it will off, but before I start it, it doesn't come on. I took the instrument cluster out because I thought it was a bad bulb, but when I pulled the bulb holder out, I found that it didn't have a bulb. It was just a black piece of plastic that covers the hole. I bought a new bulb and installed it, but the engine light still doesn't come on?

Any idea why the engine light doesn't come on?

2. The door lock and soft close doesn't work for my left rear door. I did a search and found that it could be a pump, but all the posts I read stated that all the door locks didn't work or all the soft close doors didn't work. Could it still be a bad pump if only 1 door is affected?

BTW, this is a great site with a lot of info. You guys are awsome.

Thanks
Yes, the CEL should come on when you switch on the ignition. Someone has been messing with it because your engine is throwing a code. A dealer or somebody else with a code reader will tell you what's wrong with your engine. If you put the right bulb in, maybe something else in the cluster got damaged when the bulb was first removed.

The soft close can still be the pump because they can fail in ways that only take out one or two doors. It has to do with the vacuum distributor in the pump. But it can also be a vacuum line or the door latch. Again, a dealer is the best way to find out what's going on, I'm afraid. Either that or be prepared to do a lot of disassembly.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500
Thanks for the reply.

The error code I was getting was because of the MAF so I replaced it.
I'm still confused as to why the light doesn't work.

Maybe they did break something in the cluster. The check engine light is the only one that doesn't work.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by aznlegend
Thanks for the reply.

The error code I was getting was because of the MAF so I replaced it.
I'm still confused as to why the light doesn't work.

Maybe they did break something in the cluster. The check engine light is the only one that doesn't work.
Your cluster should be covered in the recall. Get it replaced.