MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   Finally!! fixed my washer fluid reservior leak... (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/248046-finally-fixed-my-washer-fluid-reservior-leak.html)

my06clk 06-11-2008 07:26 PM

Finally!! fixed my washer fluid reservior leak...

Dudes..

Finally I nailed down the source of my washer fluid leak.

On the reservior there are three connections, the center one is the pump and heating line for the window washer jets.

The the connection to the pum from the line was leaking because it is just a piece of plastic that is forced over another plastic tube fitting. Over time heat expands the little plastic fitting and causes a small leak.

I checked the dealer and this fitting comes with the entire heated line assembly for $90.00!!!!! "for a piece of 3ft rubber hose??? NOT Today" I said.
Plus this is another stupid design, so I didn't want to put the same thing back for the next guy... So.....

I went to autozone and bought a peice of rubber hose that was smaller than the connector, forced it over the plastic connector,cut it to about 2" and attached the other end to the pump nipple and PRESTO!!!

a quick modification that cost me $3.89.

ksc 06-11-2008 08:19 PM

did it take a while to figure out?

the dealer needed 3 visits to fix mine while telling me it was caused by my usage of the headlight washers, thereby creating a vacuum and sucking the fluid out! :smash:

anyways, congrats.

my06clk 06-12-2008 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ksc (Post 2878265)
did it take a while to figure out?

the dealer needed 3 visits to fix mine while telling me it was caused by my usage of the headlight washers, thereby creating a vacuum and sucking the fluid out! :smash:

anyways, congrats.

YEah it was tricky as the leak started out very very subtle.. It was like it was evaporating in thin air... Finally it got to the point where I was filling the reservoir everytime I put in gas and i thought Hmm there is no waaay I am using this much fluid.. I use a lot because where I live the bugs come out looking for my car while I am driving at night... LOL:naughty:

But I put a little positive air pressure to the reservoir and I saw right away where it was coming from...

Yor dealer is lame..LOL that sounds so stupid.. there is a pin hole in the reservoir cap to prevent vacuum lock. so that was dumb.. Also what good are the headlight washers if they suck all of the fluid right?? These guys crack me up sometimes...

I hope they finally fixed yours whatever they ended up doing..

Anyway... I'm sure someone else will have this problem sooner or later. so Don't go paying 90 bucks plus labor for the entire hose when its just a very simple mod to get rid of that problem forever....

ksc 06-12-2008 03:21 AM

mine was fixed a few years ago and your remedy sounds like what was eventually explained to me.

actually, my dealer is pretty reasonable in all aspects...the one problem they do have is that when a problem can't be explained on the spot, they feel compelled to offer something that turns out to be bogus. i would rather hear them say 'we have to look further' or something along those lines.

i go straight to the service manager now and bypass all the BS.

cjones500 06-12-2008 04:35 AM

You too huh..........

I fixed mines about a month ago...when i fill mines up, the water would run right out. I got tired of that dayum malfunction on my dash all the time...took the headlight out. seen which hose it was leaking from....grabed some jb weld and stuck it in there. I dont use the light washers anyway...i forget i have them. Worked like a charm....Im retro fitting a camera in one of the covers anyway....:word:

jyalda6 06-12-2008 06:23 AM

Can somebody post pics of this cause my check washer fluid comes up every time

my06clk 06-12-2008 12:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jyalda6 (Post 2878967)
Can somebody post pics of this cause my check washer fluid comes up every time

Here ya go...

the part numbr for the Vacu-tite hose package is 47430 at Autozone...

Take the 1/8 X 2" from the package and trim 1/2" so that it will clear the light assy.

Force one end onto the plastic heater line connector, and insert the other end to the pump nipple for a good clean, leakproof seal.

platt-deutsch 01-12-2009 12:41 AM

I had same thing. Dealer said 85.00 for that hose with the electric heater in it. I took a 6 inch piece of silicone tape.... has no adhesive.. melts into itself after a few min.. wrapped that around the joint and no more leaks. Silicone tape we use for Radio connections that are out in the weather.

westcoast5 01-17-2009 03:12 PM

allright!! you gave me the answer I was looking for, I thought last month that I had a coolant leak but it was actually the hose for the washer. They are both clear fluid so I just ASSumed the worse. Im gonna check it out in a little while but Ive never had the washer light come on yet.

ctwctw 06-29-2009 10:07 PM

I have this same leak and tried the autozone hose. It fits great over the nipple but will not go over the heater line connector. Anyone else encounter this and if so any other fixes? dealer wanted to charge me $250 to fix so all help is appreciated!!

chibenz 06-29-2009 10:18 PM

These stealerships don't care about your wallet.

ecaribe 06-30-2009 04:09 PM

s

ctwctw I had the same problem, I ended up using the mid size hose that came with the kit and pushed it inside instead of over it and it worked!

~CL500~ 07-01-2009 10:45 AM

my06clk,
Nicely done fix. Thanks for sharing.

i_am_amused 07-01-2009 11:39 AM

great fix! thanks for helping us out

my06clk 07-01-2009 10:41 PM

You are all very welcome..

I is always my pleasure to be able to contribute anything that will help someone with these cars.

I'd like to report BTW that that was just about a year ago and I have not had a single issue with my washer leaking since!!!

mbraz 08-22-2009 01:10 PM

Do i need to remove the headlamp assembly to repair this leak

Hey guys
I have been dealing with the annoying washer fluid malfunction screen everyday for months. My mechanic said it would be very costly to repair due to motors etc. I'm on board with the simple rubber hose repair but how are you guys able to get your hands in there? Are you removing the headlamp assembly first? If so can you give me some tips. I tried removing the 2 headlamp bolts and am unable to remove lamp.
Thx much

Benz5656 08-22-2009 04:45 PM

You need to undo the pumper support bolt on the same side as the lamb you are trying to take out. If you pull it back slightly and pull on the lamp it will give you enough flex to get the lamb out. Then do it in reverse to put it back in.

my06clk 08-23-2009 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by mbraz (Post 3680554)
Hey guys
I have been dealing with the annoying washer fluid malfunction screen everyday for months. My mechanic said it would be very costly to repair due to motors etc. I'm on board with the simple rubber hose repair but how are you guys able to get your hands in there? Are you removing the headlamp assembly first? If so can you give me some tips. I tried removing the 2 headlamp bolts and am unable to remove lamp.
Thx much

Look at my pics. thre is no need to remove any lamps.. it's a clear shot to the washer pump.

mbraz 08-24-2009 08:50 AM

Fixed

I removed the assembly from the tank and it was a smooth fix.
Everything works! Thanks for the great tips, especially the part # at Autozone. The candy my kids picked out cost more than the hoses.

notoriousALE 08-29-2009 08:22 PM

Whaaaaaaaaaaat uuuuuuuuuuuup W?!!!!!!

dallas03CL 09-29-2009 11:32 PM

Thanks for this thread...

I went to AutoZone today and requested the part number and they showed me a 1/8" stiff plastic vacuum line... I just went with 1/4" x 1.5" flex hose used for fuel line and solved the problem. I had a difficult time to squeeze my hand inside the crack between the headlamp housing and washer fluid reservior, that center pump is just pressed into the reservior and can be removed to make the modification simple. Then reinsert pump back into reservior. The modification cost a total of ($0.96). This sure does beat a $90 part + labor anyday...

BlackCherryS 04-06-2010 11:48 PM

I actually didn't spend a dime. I just cut the tip of the hose that was damaged, then put the cut end on to the nipple of the washer fluid pump with a clamp and the "presto chango", no more leak, very secure and fluid is not leaking as well as squirting on the windshield without a problem.

stevedud 06-17-2010 01:21 PM

i was expecting this quick easy fix to work for me but no good. filled it up after putting on rubber house, filled it up with water and it was just coming out the bottom. I looked at the location on the front of the reservoir but didn't see any water coming from there. Anything under there that can be repaired or do I need a new one.

BlackCherryS 06-17-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevedud (Post 4123726)
i was expecting this quick easy fix to work for me but no good. filled it up after putting on rubber house, filled it up with water and it was just coming out the bottom. I looked at the location on the front of the reservoir but didn't see any water coming from there. Anything under there that can be repaired or do I need a new one.

Have you determined yet where your leak is even coming from?

westcoast5 06-20-2010 10:58 AM

mine was leaking from the rubber plug where the headlight washer pump intake should be, since I do not have the headlight washers it was just a plug and I just went to the dealer to get a new plug it was 4.32 out the door and I just pulled the old and replaced with the new and now its fine now no more leaks for me.