S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

accidently washed my original key

Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
accidently washed my original key

ok well my 2 year old stuck the key in his little pocket and the key was accidentaly washed, the rf features still work as i can still lock,unlock the doors the panic button still works and I can still open the windows from outside the car via the infared sensor, yet I cannot use it to start the car? Is there anyway to get it to work again, without having to buy another key?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
It's probably toast. There might have been a chance had you removed the batteries as soon as it came out of the laundry, and used a hair dryer to completely remove all traces of water, followed by letting the key sit opened up overnight.

But pressing any buttons with any water in the key would probably have fried a critical circuit.

I point this out not to torture you, but because it's useful to know when any electronics get wet. I've salvaged a cell phone that fell in a full sink this way. Get the battery out fast.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Unfortunately, whoover may be correct.

However, I washed mine some time ago - dried it carefully, and it worked. Try whoover's drying recommendation, see if it will "come back."

If not, you'll get to treat yourself to one of the newer-style keys for about $185.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
i can understand why it's non-functional, but I am not convinced on the reasons
cited. is not the Smartkey system, vis a vis, ignition start, operates via a
passive system and not reliant on the active circuitry of the key? that is why
it still functions via RF. the circuit board's integrity has not been compromised
by the wash/rinse cycle.

the security system of the ignition interrogates the key via inductive/IR
and then starts the car if the correct code is intact. this is why the flat
valet key operates w/o batteries, sans battery powered circuit board. you
can remove the batteries and the full featured Smartkey should still start
the car

http://w210.pietrzyk.net/electrical_rclatapse.htm
http://w210.pietrzyk.net/electrical_infrarem.htm

i dunno, i could be very wrong and only pseudo smart.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:24 PM

2000 S430
thanks for the input so far, Iam currently drying it out. I too am wondering why the rf and infared functions still operate normaly yet I am unable to start the car. I never got a valet key to try, My other key works ok no problems. Is there another place other than the dealer where I can purchase a new key for cheaper?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Even the RFID portion of the smart key is electronic, although it doesn't require battery power. It consists of a chip (programmed to match your VIN), an inductive coil (essentially half a transformer) and a capacitor. When you insert the smart key (or flat key), the capacitor is charged by induction (the transformer's primary is in the EIS) and powers the microprocessor that acknowledges the rolling code. It most certainly uses a microchip to do this and could indeed be damaged by being activated while wet.

Again, the wash cycle could have done the deed without your help but it's always worth insuring that electronics are completely dried out sans power to increase the chances of saving a device.

Last edited by whoover; 08-23-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by westcoast5
thanks for the input so far, Iam currently drying it out. I too am wondering why the rf and infared functions still operate normaly yet I am unable to start the car. I never got a valet key to try, My other key works ok no problems. Is there another place other than the dealer where I can purchase a new key for cheaper?
The dealer is the only place now. There was an aftermarket source, but MB seems to have effectively shut them down. Since the RFID portion is keyed to your VIN and only MB has the code mapping, you're pretty much stuck.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
BTW, I seem to remember that the Smartkey RFID chip gets programmed by the EIS the first time it's inserted (I know that the unique match to your car is stored in write-once-read-many memory). But the metal blade key is cut automatically at the factory to match you VIN also. And since the new key takes a different blade key than the old one, you need that too.

One final thing, if you are using the key-dependent memory to store different seat and mirror settings for your two keys, you have to have the dealer program your EIS "rail" to code the new key as a replacement. If they don't do that (they may need your other functioning key to do it right) your new key will be considered an "additional," without unique memory.

These Smartkeys may be too smart for their own good.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 AM

2000 S430
ok well I put the key back together and everything worked again with the execption of the igition, but what I did was I took the metal key out of my other new style key and stuck in my orignal remote and I head something cycle beneath the dash and wala! I was able to start the car in 10 seconds! amazing! Looks like I was able to save the remote after all well at least thats what it looks like, Im gonna check the key tomorrow and over a week time to make sure the wash has no lasting effects. Thanks everyone for all your input.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 AM

C63 AMG
Need Help ----- Mercedes CHROME KEY original blank

Did Any One Know From Where Can I Find A Brand New Mercedes Chrome Key ( Blanked Or Used )
Attached Thumbnails accidently washed my original key-benz_2.jpg  
Old 11-07-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 W204, 2014 W212, 2015 W222, 07 SAAB 9-3, 2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by smartauto
Did Any One Know From Where Can I Find A Brand New Mercedes Chrome Key ( Blanked Or Used )
The Mercedes dealer is your ONLY place to get a new remote key that will work on your car, Any other blank or used key will NOT work on your car. You can try to get a used one from ebay but will NOT work on your car. Cost me $175 to get a new remote key from local Mercedes dealer, need to prove the car is yours when order from dealer.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
[QUOTE=trustz;3155526]The Mercedes dealer is your ONLY place to get a new remote key that will work on your car, Any other blank or used key will NOT work on your car. You can try to get a used one from ebay but will NOT work on your car. Cost me $175 to get a new remote key from local Mercedes dealer, need to prove the car is yours when order from dealer.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by westcoast5
ok well I put the key back together and everything worked again with the execption of the igition, but what I did was I took the metal key out of my other new style key and stuck in my orignal remote and I head something cycle beneath the dash and wala! I was able to start the car in 10 seconds! amazing! Looks like I was able to save the remote after all well at least thats what it looks like, Im gonna check the key tomorrow and over a week time to make sure the wash has no lasting effects. Thanks everyone for all your input.
sorry about your key...hope u can get it fix. Anyway, im wondering what kind of rims that you have in your car right now? They look good
Old 11-07-2008, 11:31 AM

2000 S430
thanks actually they works fine no problems, the wheels are Vip Modular lok at my sig its says right there
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
I agree with the posters above. The key (no pun) is to dry it quickly. I had this happen to me accidentally a few months ago but with a good outcome. The key was left in my jacket and went through a full wash and dry cycle in the washing machine and drier respectively. When it was removed out of the drier, not only was it dry and smellin good, it worked flawlessly.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM

2009 GL320
Another option that worked for me was to put the key in a ziplock back with some rice and let it sit overnight. The rice will absorb the moisture out of the key. Then you just have to insert the metal key part to re-program it to your car and start the car with the smartkey in the ignition (don't try to start it keyless as that will trigger the alarm). Sounds crazy, but it works. I've saved an iPhone the same way.
Good luck!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 AM

S430
Very useful tips, thx folks! Washed my key.Panicked and tried to use it immediately (didn't work) and was worried about the electronics being fried.
Took the key apart and put it in a bag of rice. Put it together the next day and it worked perfectly. I don't see the metal blade being an issue though - it works fine with or without the blade inserted.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 PM

S500
This worked

I know this post is old however it still comes up on google...

I had this issue happen to me and I cleaned the exterior and attempted to use it, apparently it burned the connectors, I tried the rice trick and no go however!! I found this post somewhere else and worked flawlessly!
"Take the key apart. Remove the battery pack, then remove the little white locking bar, then slide the board out. Use canned air to spray out the key shell and battery pack.

Buy a can of electrical contact/cleaner spray (radio shack) and spray the board, both sides. Don't be stingy, you need to be sure you get all the chemicals out of it. No need to use the canned air on it, it dries very quickly.

Then use an eraser to clean up the contact points on the board for where the battery contacts touch. Then reinsert the battery pack and check to see if you have the red light. If not confirm you have the batteries properly installed and check again.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
rice is dangerous as you can get starch on the PCB. electric contact cleaner is a good idea.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Those little silica gel packets are also good for absorbing moisture. The kind that sometimes come in shipping boxes. I keep a bunch of them around just for stuff like this. They are relatively inexpensive.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
No personal experience, but I have seen several reports that immediately dropping a wet electronic device into pure ethanol (alcohol), then allowing it to dry can save it. Pure ethanol can include 200 proof vodka, etc.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by envymesukas
I had this issue happen to me and I cleaned the exterior and attempted to use it, apparently it burned the connectors, I tried the rice trick and no go however!! I found this post somewhere else and worked flawlessly!
"Take the key apart. Remove the battery pack, then remove the little white locking bar, then slide the board out.
Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I am finding myself in this dilemma right now with an older Smart key.

I'm very familiar with how to change the battery, but changing the circuit board is where I'm having trouble with. I know many of you have had success in changing it, but I cannot seem to find the "white retainer clip" that is mentioned. Here is a photo of my key. I am a bit stuck as to how to remove the circuit board. What tool can I use that will unlock the retaining clip, and what exactly am I looking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am very stumped right now.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
Don't think you will get more help by bringing up all the old posts...
Old 12-30-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
thanks for your reply, doni01; I appreciate your valuable and useful contribution to my dilemma
Old 01-01-2018, 04:44 PM

04 SL600/07 S65
This is a small detent on the white insert.

What I used is a very thin but still rigid plastic sheet from packaging material. Insert into the space between the white insert and the shell.

Once the plastic go through them, it release the locking detent.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: accidently washed my original key