S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2002 S430 Suspension Noise Help?????

Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 S430
2002 S430 Suspension Noise Help?????

I have a 2002 S430 with 59000 miles. It dosent pull or have any error's or Airmatic Warnings. But I have the following issues:

I have all of sudden started feeling every little bump when driving under 40mph. At highway speeds it's a smooth ride. It just dosent feel like the suspension is dampening the bumps. Also sounds like a thump everytime the car hits a bump or a pot hole.

In camparison my other car a 2005 lexus has a rougher ride but i dont feel the bumps or here the bumps when i ride over them. My work car a Ford crown Vic even feels like its a better ride than my S430.

So my question is: should I be looking at an Airmatic issue or a suspension issue as far as bushings or something other then the struts?

Any help wpuld be great before I take it to a Stealership or an Independent.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S430
Hey guys, I'm seriously in need of my fellows BENZ owners & experienced Benz technicians in this forum. I havd 2001 S430, few weeks back I had suspension problems on the driver side which I bought Arnott suspension to replaced it, 3 wks after it was replaced, It went down again which I got a replacement from Arnott suspension, we installed that but that was damaged/leaking, So I returned it back to the company "Arnott" and got a replacement the next day delivery; by the way that's the third suspension. Now, after that was installed yesterday which I started my car and everything came up fine but I noticed few minutes later that both the driver side and the back on the driver side bent which basically means all my passenger side are OK/UP while the driver side and back side of the driver side bent to a side. I pushed the button on the dash it shows the vehicle is RISING and once I turn OFF the button the side went down again and my PUMP is working fine. No sign of leaking on the suspension that I replaced on the driver side. Meanwhile, If I pressed the rise button b4 I replaced the front driver side all other 3 will rised up except for the front driver side that was bad. Please, at this point am very fraustrated with this car, Is there any FUSEe that need to be checked since both front and back driver side bent one side?
Any suggestions will great appreciated pls.

Thanks you all.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 PM

2003 S430
Originally Posted by Destination Unk
I have a 2002 S430 with 59000 miles. It dosent pull or have any error's or Airmatic Warnings. But I have the following issues:

I have all of sudden started feeling every little bump when driving under 40mph. At highway speeds it's a smooth ride. It just dosent feel like the suspension is dampening the bumps. Also sounds like a thump everytime the car hits a bump or a pot hole.

In camparison my other car a 2005 lexus has a rougher ride but i dont feel the bumps or here the bumps when i ride over them. My work car a Ford crown Vic even feels like its a better ride than my S430.

So my question is: should I be looking at an Airmatic issue or a suspension issue as far as bushings or something other then the struts?

Any help wpuld be great before I take it to a Stealership or an Independent.

i would like to know too so if anyone can help would be great
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM

2001 S430
Hey Destination Unk, based on your description, I bet you that is you upper control arm. Samething happend to my S430 which I just replaced both upper control arm and that solve the problem b4 I now ran into suspension problem.
FYI - Becareful when you are shopping for upper control arm, my advice pls. go for the best which is "LEMFORDER" brand, it might cost you a little more but you get peace of mind.