New tires and Airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 430, ML 430, CLS 400
New tires and Airmatic

Hello All,

I had new tires put in at the local NTB on my 02 S430 this past Sunday and half way into my trip between Atlanta Ga and Spartanburg SC i got the warning message "Airmatic Car too low Stop".
Could this be as a result of the new tires? Did the tire place damge my baby in some way. Should i not have gone to the local tire place for new tires Dealership was closed on Sunday and had to take a trip on Monday. Is there anything i can do to fix this or am i looking at a huge dealership bill.
I apologize for the many questions, i have just had my car for three weeks 68k on the dash. Please HELP!!!

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
It's unlikely that the tires had anything to do with it. The Airmatic system has many common failure modes (leaking struts, pump failure, relay problems), most of which are expensive to fix. It and electrical system issues are the two high-repair-cost areas for that car.

Often the upper seals on the front struts fail and if they're not resealed quickly the pump will burn out from overstress. So if you're told you need two strut repairs and a pump, they're not lying to you. It's probably the worst case scenario, but one that's all too common.

If the tire place broke something I can't imagine your getting as far as you did.

In any case, take it to a qualified MB shop -- either a dealer or an independent who specializes in this suspension. The last thing you want is for someone who doesn't know the system to replace a pump and not fix the slow leak, if that's what it is.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM

S 430, ML 430, CLS 400
Words of wisdom

Many thanks Whoover, i will try and find an independent store before I leave Spartanburg...
Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM

2000 S430
Hey , I wouldn't really worry , it depends I had all 4 rims and tires changed and they used 4 hydro jacks to lift the car and i got that same message it has to do with how the car was jacked up.

Just hit the raise button a few times it should be fine. I never had the message again since.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM

04 S430 4Matic/03 Ml 320/ 98' E320 4matic/ 73' slc 450/ 05 cherokee
Originally Posted by illmeth0d
Hey , I wouldn't really worry , it depends I had all 4 rims and tires changed and they used 4 hydro jacks to lift the car and i got that same message it has to do with how the car was jacked up.

Just hit the raise button a few times it should be fine. I never had the message again since.

very interesting.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by illmeth0d

Actually, it has something to do with the way the car was lowered. The car should be lowered until the wheels touch the ground, but the entire weight of the car is not on them. Then, the engine should be started and the airmatic system allowed to pressurize. Finally, the car can then be fully lowered.

That procedure protects against further damage if there are small leaks in the struts; such leaks would most commonly be at the top seals of the front struts.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:19 AM

GL320cdi
I have had many problems with my airmatic system. The dealership repaired it many times but the suspension has never been the same.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM

S 430, ML 430, CLS 400
Thanks to all for the advise,

Turns out i had a leak in the front struts just like Skylaw described, my baby is in the shop now being fixed and i can't wait to pick her up in the morning.

Regards.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Actually, it has something to do with the way the car was lowered. The car should be lowered until the wheels touch the ground, but the entire weight of the car is not on them. Then, the engine should be started and the airmatic system allowed to pressurize. Finally, the car can then be fully lowered.

That procedure protects against further damage if there are small leaks in the struts; such leaks would most commonly be at the top seals of the front struts.
The Newer reservoir back pressure and piping setup on the 04- 06 models eliminates this issue so it's not as easy to mess it up as with the earlier models.
I think they knew..... But I still do not go to places like Sears ( NTB ), who don't normally do a lot of either custom wheels, or High end cars because they still rasie the cars waaay up in the air and let the weight fall down ( sometimes unevenly ) when they lower the cars...

Many shops like discount tire are a little "better" because they only raise the car a few inches off the ground, and they have under carraige jacks that raise the car evenly front and back, and lowers it very slow..
Old 03-21-2009, 04:54 PM

2001 S500
I put new tires on my 2004 S430 and when i went to pick it up from the tire place, it was sitting under the airlift completed lowered to the ground. when they started the car, it raised back up to stock. Why did the car lower itself to the ground like that? And is there a switch or something that will shut off the air suspension, causing the car to lower to the ground?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Hammerhandle, the answer to your question is most likely in this very string. Please read it, and if it doesn't cover your situation, please ask again.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
perfect timing

im getting two new bridgestone turanza serenitys on the rear tomorrow and the wife was gonna take it to the tire place for me.after reading this thread i will raise the car myself and pull both wheels and that is all the shop will be able to touch.i will then lower the car as described.thankyou for the info.if anyone is seeking a "limo" quality ride with only a slight sacrafice in hard cornering performance these tires are it.super quiet and soft ride.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 S430
Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
im getting two new bridgestone turanza serenitys on the rear tomorrow and the wife was gonna take it to the tire place for me.after reading this thread i will raise the car myself and pull both wheels and that is all the shop will be able to touch.i will then lower the car as described.thankyou for the info.if anyone is seeking a "limo" quality ride with only a slight sacrafice in hard cornering performance these tires are it.super quiet and soft ride.

What model turanza's did you get?

I'm looking for a smooth ride.

Any thoughts?

Thanks