MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   Help!!! Car won't go when you step on the gas!!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/335672-help-car-wont-go-when-you-step-gas.html)

wpimentel 01-26-2010 06:19 PM

Help!!! Car won't go when you step on the gas!!!

Hello all...01 s 430. Normal driving today. Came off the freeway and when I went to accellerate nothing happened. I put it to the floor and it accelerated very very slowly. I can only imagine what would have happened if I was trying to cross a busy intersection with my kids...wholly cow that was scarey!!!! I pullled over and turned car off and restarted it and it worked fine for a few miles then did it again...but this time with the check engine light....uuuuuuuggggg...any ideas what's going on????

VPMBZE430 01-26-2010 06:26 PM

I believe you have a transmission problem.

socalsounds 01-26-2010 06:39 PM

Believing and knowing are two different things. That said, I'll bet a dollar to your donut what your problem is. And it's not your transmission. Relatively simple, actually. Not super cheap, but simple.

Your gas pedal has a sensor behind it; it sends pedal angle information to the throttle. When the senor goes bad, the pedal doesn't work.

The pedal replacement is a DIY job, about 10 minutes with basic tools. The pedal itself, with sensor (its a scissors-looking assembly) is available at StarPower for $150 (better than the dealer's $300):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories

Good luck- BTW, your code should be P0402 for throttle / pedal sensor...

Chris

p.s. If you just want to take it to an independent, the part and labor will run you about $250 average.

harley213 01-26-2010 07:18 PM

Pedals and sensors

Originally Posted by socalsounds (Post 3911802)
Believing and knowing are two different things. That said, I'll bet a dollar to your donut what your problem is. And it's not your transmission. Relatively simple, actually. Not super cheap, but simple.

Your gas pedal has a sensor behind it; it sends pedal angle information to the throttle. When the senor goes bad, the pedal doesn't work.

The pedal replacement is a DIY job, about 10 minutes with basic tools. The pedal itself, with sensor (its a scissors-looking assembly) is available at StarPower for $150 (better than the dealer's $300):

Chris

p.s. If you just want to take it to an independent, the part and labor will run you about $250 average.

Are these pedals/sensors adjustable? Seems like my R129 doesn't want to move until the pedal is about a third of the way down. Thank you.

socalsounds 01-26-2010 07:24 PM

Not to my knowledge- I was told by my indy that a slow to respond pedal is the first sign- mine seemed sluggish (I actually thought I had an engine tune problem!) until kickdown, until it just died. Felt like a whole new car with a new pedal assembly!

tusabes 01-27-2010 12:37 AM

yeah definitely sounds like a pedal issue...i have seen many MBs like this.

wpimentel 01-27-2010 10:08 AM

Thanks guys...I'm going to get a code readed today to double check but I have a feeling from what I've been reading that you're correct!

wpimentel 02-04-2010 12:04 PM

p0120 is the code....still the same fix?

rondocap 02-04-2010 02:24 PM

Something that happened to me, may not be the same but similar:

I was driving, and accelerating a good bit, and I guess I caught one of the revs a bit too soon, and it's like the transmission went out of gear. It wouldn't accelerate anymore, I had to stop the car, put it in park, and back in drive.

I did a transmission fluid flush/filter change, and new transmission mounts, and I never had that problem again.

Although in your case it appears that it's a throttle issue with the pedal, since I think code p0120 means that. I never got any codes.

socalsounds 02-04-2010 05:50 PM

Yes, P0120 is a pedal sensor. You need the entire scissors-pedal assembly.

DRTYLNDY 02-06-2010 08:13 AM

Maybe you could take the parts out of a new Toyota and rebuild the pedal? Sorry couldn't resist.

tusabes 02-09-2010 11:23 PM

Deleted by moderator
Buying off negative feedback is shameful. Offer the refund without conditioning it on removal of negative comments. And for god sakes post in the right thread!

joe_yoh 02-09-2010 11:26 PM

Base on my experience, it's your transmission may seem to be the problem...

tusabes 02-09-2010 11:39 PM

Your experience would be incorrect, its an electronic pedal issue.

angelglo 02-13-2010 03:04 PM

ive had the same problem happen to me about 5 times now in the past year. i step on the gas but doesnt go anywhere. it revs but seems like the tranny is out of gear. if it was the pedal sensor, it wouldnt rev correct?

socalsounds 02-13-2010 04:29 PM

No revving. P0120 is the code, and it DEFINITELY not a transmission issue. The part is readily available both new and used.

Boden 08-01-2013 10:39 PM

I have a E430, but my pedal does not have a sensor. Do I have something else?

suzgems 08-25-2013 10:49 AM

Also an E430

I also have an E430 that did the same thing yesterday. I was barely able to get home. And toward the end there was a whirring noise coming out of the engine area and the engine light was on.

Press on the accelerator and the engine revs up but won't go anywhere - won't engage. After turning it off and waiting a few minutes (maybe to cool) it starts up again, and will go for a few miles then quit again.

Have to go to the shop with it this week, but any input is appreciated.

Boden 08-25-2013 11:28 PM

I have a E430 with the same problem. Nothing happens when you step on the gas. I replaced the accelerator position sensor, but it did not fix my problem. Could the part I received from Autohaus be bad? Or do I have another issue? What next?

WindySurf Xela 05-11-2019 10:27 PM

Suzgems, what was the problem??

Originally Posted by suzgems (Post 5759438)
I also have an E430 that did the same thing yesterday. I was barely able to get home. And toward the end there was a whirring noise coming out of the engine area and the engine light was on.

Press on the accelerator and the engine revs up but won't go anywhere - won't engage. After turning it off and waiting a few minutes (maybe to cool) it starts up again, and will go for a few miles then quit again.

Have to go to the shop with it this week, but any input is appreciated.

What was the problem suzgems?

enwoke 10-14-2021 01:45 AM

My Mercedes Benz C200 Kompressor 2003 not moving

Originally Posted by socalsounds (Post 3911802)

Chris

I Have had the pedal changed 7 times in the last 4 weeks and the issue persists, have changed the injector mouth/head, ateator, brainbox, checked all the cables; still the issue persists. I start the car to warm in the morning, and wanted to rev it about but it won't, pedal to the floor it didn't even bulg just kept running like I was not there.

Please help what else can I do, I am on the verge of selling it as scrap.

wallyp 10-14-2021 07:17 AM

I know almost nothing about a C200 (this is the W220 Forum), but I would concentrate on the throttle body and the wiring between the pedal and the throttle body.

tusabes 10-14-2021 11:40 AM

When you say you’ve changed the pedal 7 times , are they new or used ?

does it work at first when it’s replaced then stops working again , or have none of the 7 pedals worked ?

if they work initially upon replacement then stop working , there’s probably an electrical short that’s damaging them

enwoke 10-14-2021 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 8436359)
When you say you’ve changed the pedal 7 times , are they new or used ?

does it work at first when it’s replaced then stops working again , or have none of the 7 pedals worked ?

if they work initially upon replacement then stop working , there’s probably an electrical short that’s damaging them

Mostly second hand, used pedals. They work and then fail after some distance. Almost like same day.

How to find the electrical short?

kraut56 10-14-2021 05:17 PM

you are not doing proper trouble shooting.
Most obvious is a failed gas pedal - only replace with new, not used.