S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

European S55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European S55

I was reading through the German pricelist for the S-Class yesterday--not like I know German or anything--but I noticed that the S55 AMG in Germany lists the AMG styling package as an option.

First of all, is this true? Second, if it is true, does that mean a stock S55 AMG in Germany would look like the other S-Classes? That's no good...I'm glad the US-spec comes with the exterior styling pre-loaded.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Chris!

That doesn't make sense?? AMG Styling package as an option?? What's up with that??
Old 02-07-2002, 07:33 PM

Hey guys I have ran into the same thing I was searching S55 one day and came up with european S55's and saw the same thing! I am thinking that their S55 has an extra package besides the normal AMG package that we know. I have never seen a S55 on a website that didn't have AMG body work. It's a mystery I will try to find out the answer.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
European benzes are more customizable. There are sport, avantgarde versions, etc etc.

They limit US selection for some reasons I can't figure out. Basically forcefeed us certain models.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:14 AM

John - Not sure at all!! On the pricelist, it lists it as a regular option for all models (which I'm assuming is equivalent to our Sport Package) but it even has it for the S55. It's not even listed as a "standard option" but as purely optional.

AmgBoy - If the European version had an extra package in addition to the regular AMG styling package, what would it look like? But I agree with you though, I've never seen an S55 without the bodywork.

jl88 - In Europe, isn't the Avantgarde the term for the "sport" version of the car? Or at least what we would call Sport. Just like their Elegance is our base model and their Classic doesn't really exist here. I've often wondered myself whether the U.S. limiting is a good or bad thing. It's bad because we have limited selection, but at the same time it could be good because we often get the highest engine/trim selection and don't have to muddle with 500 billion option combinations.

On the other hand, at least we could push for the AMG customization here, if not full customization.

Anyways, for everybody else, here is the pricelist where the question came from.

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/mbd/pdf/S-0100.pdf

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 AM

W220 S55 AMG
Mine is exactly same as this model.

Originally Posted by cjileong
I was reading through the German pricelist for the S-Class yesterday--not like I know German or anything--but I noticed that the S55 AMG in Germany lists the AMG styling package as an option.

First of all, is this true? Second, if it is true, does that mean a stock S55 AMG in Germany would look like the other S-Classes? That's no good...I'm glad the US-spec comes with the exterior styling pre-loaded.

Hi
I bought my s55 amg a few years ago and main is exactly same as you mentioned above.

Very interesting post.