4Matic Driveline Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE450 4MATIC
4Matic Driveline Noise

Hi Everyone,

I have a noise when starting out in drive. It seems to be coming from the front driveshaft since the sound is beside the passenger left leg area. It's only making noise when accelerating and makes a repeating... thump, thump, thump and gets faster in time with the vehicle speed. Then the noise goes away when I reach a steady speed.

I've not found anything in the W220 forum. My guess is the noise is coming from the front drive shaft.

The front right axle shaft was replaced with a different, low mileage part and the noise is still there.

Any better ideas before I tear the shaft out?

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S430 4Matic
Have the U-Joints on the front drive shaft checked ASAP. If the u-joint fails it will do some big time damage up front (and big money). Grab the drive shaft and shake it, if there is any movement (except for normal rotation) replace it. The u-joint can't be replaced you have to replace the drive shaft. 8 bolts and removing some shield mounts. I got an after market out of Texas for around $400.

Also, while you are under the car check the flex disks on the rear drive shaft for wear and cracks along with the carrier bearing.

Last edited by lganski; 11-06-2014 at 01:05 PM.