MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   Gear Shift moves to reverse, drive, etc.. but car does not move (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/389724-gear-shift-moves-reverse-drive-etc-but-car-does-not-move.html)

w1lee85 02-28-2011 11:43 PM

Gear Shift moves to reverse, drive, etc.. but car does not move

Hi All, I have a 2002 s500 with 90000 miles, I try to look all over this forum to see if anyone has this problem but no luck. So my gear shift moves to reverse, drive and all the other ones, but my car does not move. When i put it in drive or reverse, all it does is rev the gas, no movement. Has anyone ever had this problem. Pls help.

ohlord 03-01-2011 12:00 AM

Either the

transmission is gone or the bushing to the linkage is gone. Pray it's not the first hope it is the second.
Get it inspected.

Jud Chapin 03-01-2011 02:35 PM

Emergency brake on???? :nix:

Supergenius40 03-01-2011 02:49 PM

You may want to check the cable connection to the shifter. When I fixed my “stuck in park” problem a long time ago, I failed to secure the cable on the shifter. When I reach my destination and put the car in park I heard it fall off. After that the shift was useless. You can either remove the center compartment or look under the car.

Usually your transmission would have shown some signs of death. Do you feel the driveshaft kick in when you shift into drive or reverse?

classyS 03-01-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Supergenius40 (Post 4546843)
You may want to check the cable connection to the shifter. When I fixed my “stuck in park” problem a long time ago, I failed to secure the cable on the shifter. When I reach my destination and put the car in park I heard it fall off. After that the shift was useless. You can either remove the center compartment or look under the car.

Usually your transmission would have shown some signs of death. Do you feel the driveshaft kick in when you shift into drive or reverse?

mine is definitely dieing - my aunt who has a 7 series said im in for a good one.. 2-4k sound about right for everything repaired?? thanks in advance guys.

its doing the driveshaft kick in gear and during shift..

Supergenius40 03-01-2011 03:40 PM

Classy S, that could also be the Drive Shaft Flex disc or the rear differential. On cars that use u-Joints they have that kick in the butt feeling as they begin to wear out. I think I read something on the forum about our cars having Flex disc which cause a little play (movement) when they age too. I would hate for anyone to need a new tranny. In this economy its a big set back.

w1lee85 03-01-2011 06:42 PM

Thanks guys... I already made an appt with mercedes, just wanted to make sure its not the tranny.. dont wanna get jack by them. Also, my tranny never slip or anything. Im praying its not the tranny. I will let ya know the outcome.

w1lee85 03-01-2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Supergenius40 (Post 4546843)

No sign ever.. I will check the driveshaft kick when I get off work. thanks

tusabes 03-01-2011 10:59 PM

If there has been no sign of previous problems it is very unlikely your trans went out suddenly with no signs of jerking or slipping.

More likely some connection became loose.

luis rios1984 03-12-2011 01:41 AM

THE PLASTIC BUSHING IS GONE, THEY ALMOST BRAKE AT SOME POINT DONT KNOW WHY THERE PLASTIC

Johnmoro21 09-05-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by w1lee85 (Post 4545715)
Hi All, I have a 2002 s500 with 90000 miles, I try to look all over this forum to see if anyone has this problem but no luck. So my gear shift moves to reverse, drive and all the other ones, but my car does not move. When i put it in drive or reverse, all it does is rev the gas, no movement. Has anyone ever had this problem. Pls help.

I have a 2001 s500 that broke down 3 months ago. It just revs up in forward and reverse while driving down the highway and doesn't move at all. When I put it in park it clicks very loud like I was moving and put it in park. The Trans shop put it on the lift after it was towed there, they spun the rear wheels and the car was fixed for 2 months. It happened again 1 month ago, I jacked it up and spun the rear wheel and drove home with no problem. It broke again today, I jacked it up and spun the wheel, it worked for 1/10 mile. I tried spinning the tire 10 more times and It is still broken. In the last 3 months Ive changed the rear and the Trans. please help if you know anything. Johnmoro21@aol.com

magdamilan 06-04-2014 05:12 PM

Mercedes S320, 1997

When I put my car in Drive or Reverse it moves forward or backward about 2 feet and then slips into Neutral. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks.

wallyp 06-08-2014 12:50 PM

Do you mean that the gear lever actually moves? Or, does the handle remain in Drive, but the car doesn't move?

Have you checked the fluid level? Has there been any visible leakage?

misslewis 09-29-2014 07:36 PM

2002 s430

I am have a problem with my 2002 s430, it start up but will not move in drive or reverse, no sign the the transmission is bad, no knock, no warning, the shifter seems a little loose and not seated when moved to a gear. Any suggestions

ibeforreal 09-29-2014 08:16 PM

Once the dealer tells you what is wrong with the car you might want to consider other alternatives such as a good Indie to get it fixed. I'm certain the dealers cost will be at least 50% more than an Indie.

wallyp 10-03-2014 08:54 AM

There is a clip in the shifter linkage that can slip off, leaving the lever disconnected from the transmission. A search thru the forum should give you info on how to check the linkage and replace the clip, if that is the problem.

trombone 10-03-2014 08:16 PM

Do as Wally suggested. Jack up the car, go under and take a careful look at the joint where the connecting rod is linked to the shifter.
Look elsewhere if the linkage holds strong.

lumanikus 11-05-2014 12:10 PM

Hey guys, i have an s430 with the same floppy shifter issue. That is, it moves into any gear without any resistance as if its not connected to anything. She's at a friends apts now, i was wondering if i could remove the console and shifter. Then move the linkage myself to get her home or assemble it with the shifter and not put the center console in with out creating anymore problems.

In retrospect probably not that much more of an issue to put the console back in, i just hate parking lot work. Oh of course it may not be the linkage clip and if its fallen off im screwed anyway unless a zip tie will get her home.

I just don't want the tow truck dragging her in park onto the flatbed...

cybertronicify 12-25-2014 03:18 PM

My 2003 s430 had the same problem a month ago, the tranny link rod fell off during a shifter movement from drive to reverse. I was lucky it fell into neutral, waited 3 hours for a tow truck to arrive towed it home and what do you kno. The clip on the tranny side is bent and the clip on the shifter side already fell off but it still held on. I went to home depot and bought some E clips and fitted them on. Its still working fine a month later but i suggest you put some grease where the rod pushes in. Mines was completely dry and it actually grinded itself out of the lock pin mercedes put on.

Jason Strange 02-27-2017 06:42 PM

my 01 does same thing what is wrong with it

Originally Posted by luis rios1984 (Post 4565998)
THE PLASTIC BUSHING IS GONE, THEY ALMOST BRAKE AT SOME POINT DONT KNOW WHY THERE PLASTIC

Did​​​​ u get it fixed
​​​​​​​Mine doing it what is it

zolomite 07-01-2017 05:19 PM

s500 does not move when in drive or reverse.

hey. did you ever figure out why it would not move when you put it in gear?

ffranccc 08-20-2017 03:24 PM

Hi Magdamilan,

Where you able to sort this issue on your car? If yes, could you share it with us please. Thanks

Mhuber 06-12-2020 01:32 PM

Ever find a fix

Originally Posted by magdamilan (Post 6063150)
When I put my car in Drive or Reverse it moves forward or backward about 2 feet and then slips into Neutral. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks.

Hi there mine is doing the same, did you ever find out what was happening?

wallyp 06-12-2020 05:24 PM

Do you mean that the shift lever actually moves into NEUTRAL?
Or, do you mean that the shift lever stays in DRIVE or REVERSE, but the car stops moving?
Is there any noise at all when this happens?

Luz Pablico 07-11-2020 01:45 PM

C240 does not move on D or R

Originally Posted by w1lee85 (Post 4545715)

My C240 is doing the same . Any suggestions ?