S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

best oil to use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
Wow, thanks Mark! That's really cool.

Tho, your comment about it reading 5.9qts but only saying to add 1qt has me again wanting a dipstick! WTF's up w/ that? That's a huge disparity IMO. Did it need to sit longer after shutdown for the oil to dribble back into the sump more? One qt's worth.

Again, odd.

Thanks tho for the secret handshake - should be a post somewhere that sums up all of 'those'!!!

I'd run out and test mine now, but car's @ John Nouri's for some Broadway Performance lovin 8-)... *** rental car 8-/...(Fidelity pays rental muwhahaaa)...
Paul,
Your comment about time elapsed after shutdown made me wonder, so for posterity, I sacrificed and took my wife's car into the office yesterday so mine could sit a full 24+ hours to drain back into the sump. The result was last night when I got home, she measured exactly 7.0 quarts. I started her up, and it immediately dropped to 5.1q (some small fluctuating) but no "add 1quart" warning. After I let her warm up I took her down the street. Light throttle down to 4.1q no warning at all. Upon hard throttle, it dipped to 2.8q and the warning light popped on. So the light triggers due to a low amount in the sump while operating, not while sitting. When I got back, I added one bottle and eyeballed about 1/2 of another (Mobil-1 0W-40 for the sake of keeping this on topic) and let her sit until this morning where it measured 8.4, so I'd say the measurement is accurate at the sump once the oil gets back down there.