S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

sunroof switch just clicking not moving.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 mercedes s430
Unhappy sunroof switch just clicking not moving.

I wanted to open sunroof and it acted weird it sort of opened in increments then the operation stop altogether with my roof stuck in tilt position. Now the switch is making clicking noise like I know its trying to work but the roof is silent. Anyone know any tricks or or what may be wrong or how to close it manually???
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 PM

2002 S430
Probably you need a new motor, it is under the roof switch assembly. You are supposed to have a a factory supplied hex key bent twice (usually it is in the glove compartment, or in the tool tray at the spare wheel). Pop off the left light cover form the switch assembly, there you find a the hex nut, insert the key and turn, it moves the sunroof. See also page 379 of your manual about the manual roof operation.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 PM

2002 mercedes s430
Thanks for the knowledge I appreciate it. My roof finally started working and closed I think it may be a bad switch be cause it will not one touch express open it will move only one inch for every push of the button. Its either the switch or its lost its memory or program???any ideas?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM

2002 S430
Start with synchronizing the roof.
(This is a standard procedure needed every time the battery was disconnected, or you applied manual operations)

Make the sunroof closed then push the switch upward, make the roof tilt up as far as it goes and keep the switch pressed at least an additional 1- 2 seconds.

If normal functions do not return, or it is normal for a while but the erratic movements are back, you will need a new switch assembly.

Changing the unit is a 15 minute job if you do it slow.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 AM

2002 mercedes s430
Hey,thanks trombone how do you know all this? How long have you had your 430? I will try synchronizing. It does seem like the motor is strong. Ill let you know if it works.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 PM

2002 S430
Now it is the second anniversary with my MB. I did a lot of trouble-shooting, DIY jobs, and needed some professional workshop help as well.

Also I read the manual time-to-time.
The greatest source of information is the forum, I am visiting regularly. You seem to be on the right track, too.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 AM

2002 mercedes s430
I've had my MB for 2months and I'm still excited. And by the way the sychronization work my sunroof is functioning properly. Thanks a mill. These cars are really something I thought something was broken. I read in the owners manual that anytime something out of normal operation happens to the sunroof it has to be initialized.such as glitch or power outtage or irrattic movements or manual moves. In my case my hand just slipped of the button as I tried to open it and reopen it too quickly. So alot of problems with cars are self inflicted and out of ignorance. Thanks Trombone