S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Electric Water Pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz G550
Electric Water Pump

I am looking into replacing my intercooler water pump. I have been getting conflicting stories of the life span of the part can anyone clear this up forme. Also, is there a write up on how to replace the part? I have been searching the forum but have not come across a how to. Any help will be grateful
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
Originally Posted by terrance21!
I am looking into replacing my intercooler water pump. I have been getting conflicting stories of the life span of the part can anyone clear this up forme. Also, is there a write up on how to replace the part? I have been searching the forum but have not come across a how to. Any help will be grateful
The actual replacement is not difficult. I did it on my C32, but have not yet done it on my S600 (I do have the Johnson CM30 to do it...just need to find the time). Having looked at the S600, the CM30 is relatively plug and play; as is a bosch (model escapes me off hand). The pump is located on the passenger side behind the front bumper in front of the wheel well.

The larger pumps may require a little retrofitting.
If you go on the Tech Talk M275 thread, member Welwynnick (sp?) has a great write up on the performance of different pumps.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...ion-pumps.html

Also several other threads discussing the cooling of our beasts. I get the sense that too much pump (with no other cooling circuit upgrades or expansion) doesn't do much good due to either cavitation or not allowing enough time in the radiator to disburse the heat. As far as life span, I think it varies and would be best cheked with a scanner. My C32's died at around 85k, but the one in my S600 seems to be doing just fine with 114k miles. Be aware that our pumps only activate once a certain heat threshold is reached, then it deactivates once it cools off a bit - it's not always on (which I want to figure out how to accomplish with the new CM30 without throwing all sorts of codes).