S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Please help! Engine Won't start after heavy rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 s500
Please help! Engine Won't start after heavy rain

I currently drive a 2002 s500. The problem started earlier today while I was driving in extremely heavy rain (going through large puddles). Anyways, I began to notice that there was water leaking in the floor of the passenger side. After about 5 minutes, there was a display defective warning and my gas gauge stopped working (it doesn't move up) along with other functions like the rear window screen.

I returned home, looked up a solution to the leak, and found a lot of water clogged in the vent where the water drains (on the hood). I poked a stick at the sludge that had gathered and all of the water drained. However, i'm afraid that a lot of the stuff might have gotten clogged within the system since i was unable to remove it (the water had sucked in all of it).

Anyways, I went to start my engine again to check and now it won't start. When I go to turn on my engine, it'll start for a bit, but not fully, and then stop. For now, i'm leaving the hood open in the garage hoping that it'll dry. What I should I do?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 PM

s430
Hey friend, unfortunately the problem isn't under the hood, its under your passenger seat and you rear seat. This is a VERY common problem for the w220s and Ive been there and done that. Same thing happened to me. Youre going to have to have it towed to the dealer or your shop and have them replace check the computer in the passenger side and in the rear seat. I forget what the official name for them are but I cost me around $2500 to get my baby back to even start.

best of luck,
diego
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 PM

2002 S430
Pick up the carpet from the passenger seat-well, get a hair dryer and dry up all the electric leads as far as they go. The sooner the better.
Good luck and keep the drain pipe free of sludge.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
I'd call your auto insurer

Water Damage is covered by comprehensive insurance

At a minimum your carpets will need to get pulled and dryed out
More than likely you've fried some electronics