DOUBLE DIN QUESTION BEFORE I MAKE A MISTAKE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 S500
Unhappy DOUBLE DIN QUESTION BEFORE I MAKE A MISTAKE

Hi guys, ive searched and searched,
my car is a 05 s500 with BOSE system, my navigation is outdated and the previous owners for some reason didn't get the phone option on the car. I want to upgrade my system but getting the update disc will cost around $400 if I buy something like Gateway or GROM it will be around another $400+. I really dont want go double din because surprisingly I like the way the OEM system looks in these cars and that's a lot coming from someone that usually gets double dins or aftermarket radios in my car. I am contemplating a double did but if I can avoid it I will.
I was reading you need a new AMP and a bunch of other stuff. Please tell me I can upgrade my disc and get kit for bluetooth. I just need to answer calls, listen/stream to pandora and have up to date navigation maps. I dont need all the bells and whistles, can you guy direct me in the right way???
Ive checked the 101 sticky but half those links are out of date or they dont sell that item anymore any help will help lol.
BTW im on android and always will be.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Get a Motorola roadster on Amazon

For $50 it will stream your phone calls and music from your phone to the stock system

You can update the nav using a step by step update using multiple discs . Someone else can explain how to do it as I don't personally know but the process is listed beginning with post 14 here

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...***-nav-2.html

Last edited by tusabes; 09-03-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:54 AM

2005 S500
Originally Posted by tusabes
Get a Motorola roadster on Amazon

For $50 it will stream your phone calls and music from your phone to the stock system

You can update the nav using a step by step update using multiple discs . Someone else can explain how to do it as I don't personally know but the process is listed beginning with post 14 here

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...***-nav-2.html
no point in getting the Motorola roadster thing if I cant use my in car speaker system. lol defeats the purpose of having BOSE lol

where do I buy the cd besides the stealership? or which version am i looking for? Ive noticed that some CD's for other commands work on out car and thats were I get confused :/

Last edited by IDFWU; 09-04-2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I think you misunderstood ... The Motorola roadster lets you play your phone calls and music from your phone through your cars Bose stereo . So you will be hearing your callers and music in your phone coming out of the Mercedes speakers in your car

You can find the CDs on eBay
Old 09-04-2015, 03:52 AM

2005 S500
I think you misunderstood ... The Motorola roadster lets you play your phone calls and music from your phone through your cars Bose stereo .

You can find the CDs on eBay

Really??? but my car doesnt have bluetooth at all.
see now im really confused. lol

I dont do ebay lol I actually really hate ebay lol
Old 09-04-2015, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Well those are your options , dealership or Ebay

You don't need to be confused . The Motorola roadster transmits your phone calls and music in your phone into a fM radio frequency so you just tune your Mercedes stereo to a specific fm frequency and it plays your calls and music in your phone through the Bose car stereo speakers
Old 09-04-2015, 04:12 AM

2005 S500
Well those are your options , dealership or Ebay

You don't need to be confused . The Motorola roadster transmits your phone calls and music in your phone into a fM radio frequency so you just tune your Mercedes stereo to a specific fm frequency and it plays your calls and music in your phone through the Bose car stereo speakers
fine I guess Ill sell my first born as payment to the dealership lol

Ahhh I got what you are saying, Im going to look for videos on how it works if so, well I just saved myself a bunch of money lol
Old 09-04-2015, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by IDFWU
Hi guys, ive searched and searched,
my car is a 05 s500 with BOSE system, my navigation is outdated and the previous owners for some reason didn't get the phone option on the car. I want to upgrade my system but getting the update disc will cost around $400 if I buy something like Gateway or GROM it will be around another $400+. I really dont want go double din because surprisingly I like the way the OEM system looks in these cars and that's a lot coming from someone that usually gets double dins or aftermarket radios in my car. I am contemplating a double did but if I can avoid it I will.
I was reading you need a new AMP and a bunch of other stuff. Please tell me I can upgrade my disc and get kit for bluetooth. I just need to answer calls, listen/stream to pandora and have up to date navigation maps. I dont need all the bells and whistles, can you guy direct me in the right way???
Ive checked the 101 sticky but half those links are out of date or they dont sell that item anymore any help will help lol.
BTW im on android and always will be.
Sorry to hear about the Android thing. Restraining order at the Apple Store? Actually, none of my business. You don't want a gut job. None of that Bose gear is going to play well with standard aftermarket gear. The Bose in the 220 is a great sounding stereo that needs nothing beyond a small powered sub in the trunk. In fact, my new 221's Harman system was such a let down by comparison I've spent a fortune getting it sound as good as the 220 did. The FM modulator mentioned previously will be cheap and easy to install, but of course audio quality is limited to that of over the air FM radio, which isn't great.

So I think the piece you're looking for is the MoBridge MOST Bluetooth module for the 220:

http://www.mobridge.us/compatibility...19/13193/15087

This module integrates into the COMAND and will give you BT telephone, Streaming BT Audio for your Android, an Ipod connection in case any cool people ride in the car, and an Aux In connection. Sound quality is superb. The piece itself fits in the cavity behind the factory stereo, but it replaces the CD Changer on the optic loop. (All of the devices in the car transmit data to and from each other on a ring of fiber optic cable. You bypass the CD Changer in the trunk and that creates a new opening in the loop for the MoBridge. You'll use your CD changer
controls to control the MoBridge. You will lose the CD Changer.

Ive installed these in my two 220's and have enjoyed them immensely. Install is with a few basic tools and takes around 45 minutes. Any shop should also be able to handle it. It's not going to help with Navi, but with streaming BT audio from the Android, just use the Android as your GPS. The turn by turn directions will play through the car's speakers as normal, and the COMAND will mute music for navi voice instructions as well as for phone calls.

A Kuda tool-less vehicle specific mount and a device cradle from Pro Clips will let you mount the phone in the car so you can see your route.

Last edited by Mike5215; 09-04-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Sorry to hear about the Android thing. Restraining order at the Apple Store?

an Ipod connection in case any cool people ride in the car
Lmfao, you gave me a good laugh
Old 09-05-2015, 01:12 AM

2005 S500
Sorry to hear about the Android thing. Restraining order at the Apple Store? Actually, none of my business. You don't want a gut job. None of that Bose gear is going to play well with standard aftermarket gear. The Bose in the 220 is a great sounding stereo that needs nothing beyond a small powered sub in the trunk. In fact, my new 221's Harman system was such a let down by comparison I've spent a fortune getting it sound as good as the 220 did. The FM modulator mentioned previously will be cheap and easy to install, but of course audio quality is limited to that of over the air FM radio, which isn't great.

So I think the piece you're looking for is the MoBridge MOST Bluetooth module for the 220:

http://www.mobridge.us/compatibility...19/13193/15087

This module integrates into the COMAND and will give you BT telephone, Streaming BT Audio for your Android, an Ipod connection in case any cool people ride in the car, and an Aux In connection. Sound quality is superb. The piece itself fits in the cavity behind the factory stereo, but it replaces the CD Changer on the optic loop. (All of the devices in the car transmit data to and from each other on a ring of fiber optic cable. You bypass the CD Changer in the trunk and that creates a new opening in the loop for the MoBridge. You'll use your CD changer
controls to control the MoBridge. You will lose the CD Changer.

Ive installed these in my two 220's and have enjoyed them immensely. Install is with a few basic tools and takes around 45 minutes. Any shop should also be able to handle it. It's not going to help with Navi, but with streaming BT audio from the Android, just use the Android as your GPS. The turn by turn directions will play through the car's speakers as normal, and the COMAND will mute music for navi voice instructions as well as for phone calls.

A Kuda tool-less vehicle specific mount and a device cradle from Pro Clips will let you mount the phone in the car so you can see your route.
well its not that I dont want to be one of the cool kids with a ipod or apple products its just ... well... to me apple products are like the fisher price of electronics for adults

Damm I wished you would of showed me this before I bought the motorola roadster thing lol. and you are right the FM thing you get static its not that bad but still I know it will annoy me over the long run.
I will check this thing out, I know it wont do anything for the navi thats a separate deal I have to upgrade .
I could care less about the CD changer I havent used CD's since napsters and MP3 players came out lol

I cant find where to buy it see the price :/

Last edited by IDFWU; 09-05-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
It's like $600
Old 09-05-2015, 02:55 AM

2005 S500
It's like $600
Ill stick with the motorola roadster 2 lol
Old 09-05-2015, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Ill stick with the motorola roadster 2 lol
Figure a decent DD HU with navi is around $700 anyway. Depends on how in to music you are and how long you're keeping the car I guess.

Might find one on EBay. They've been around a long time. Your 05 should already have BT phone capability. Under the center console armrest (the upper right side half) , and should be a mysterious connector that originally was for a dedicated cell phone. MB sells a BT "puck" that uses that connector.

So you've never had an iPhone but you dislike them from a sociological stand point? It's kind of like saying "I don't like Dom Perignon. To me it's like the Sprite of champagne. I've never tasted it, but the other people I've seen drinking it are douchey. I don't want people to think I'm douchey." It's just a phone (that happens to be a great sounding media player). Try not to overthink it 😀

Last edited by Mike5215; 09-05-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:41 PM

2005 S500
Figure a decent DD HU with navi is around $700 anyway. Depends on how in to music you are and how long you're keeping the car I guess.

Might find one on EBay. They've been around a long time. Your 05 should already have BT phone capability. Under the center console armrest (the upper right side half) , and should be a mysterious connector that originally was for a dedicated cell phone. MB sells a BT "puck" that uses that connector.

So you've never had an iPhone but you dislike them from a sociological stand point? It's kind of like saying "I don't like Dom Perignon. To me it's like the Sprite of champagne. I've never tasted it, but the other people I've seen drinking it are douchey. I don't want people to think I'm douchey." It's just a phone (that happens to be a great sounding media player). Try not to overthink it ��

I do a lot of beta testing for products before they come out. Ive had apple products, to me they are not worth the money its almost like someone selling you a regular benz and putting AMG badges even tho its not a real AMG just IMO.
Next thing I know you will say console gaming is better then PC gaming

and Dom does taste like sprite if we are being serious lol.
Great media player with music that you buy that never belongs to you. I like my bootleg music to be mine LOL

The one that I was looking at was around $400 bc it has mirror capability, which is basically what im really looking for, but I was reading you need new amps and bypasses and other stuff. which will be around $2000 over where I live, well at least the shop that gave me the quote. I can build you a full race motor, tune your motor and suspensions, but when it comes to electrical stuff I have no clue and its where they smell the weak in me, so i know they are going to want extra $$$$$$ lol

Like I said, if i can avoid a double din I will, its just to me a double din on these cars looks so ugly, i like the way the OEM command flows with the interior.

sadly the previous owners of my car never got the bluetooth puck option :/ or else I would of jsut bought something like gateway or VISEEO puck. I asked mercedes if they can add the whole bluetooth system to my car and they said they dont even sell it anymore :/ so Im left with getting a GROM kit, or the motorola roadster 2 ( which I did), but the static on FM mode just kills it for me so bad so im going to return it.

I like the Mobridge thing you posted, but I cant find where to buy it. So im left with the GROM path http://gromaudio.com/store/most_adap..._optional.html

I honestly dont plan on keeping this car for over a year lol. Ive only had it for about 4-5 months, I originally wanted a w221 but this one has basically a lot of options I was looking for in the past, and the price I couldnt pass up
But I hate listening to the radio stations so I have to get a bluetooth thing to stream pandora at least lol

Last edited by IDFWU; 09-05-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I do a lot of beta testing for products before they come out. Ive had apple products, to me they are not worth the money its almost like someone selling you a regular benz and putting AMG badges even tho its not a real AMG just IMO.
Next thing I know you will say console gaming is better then PC gaming

and Dom does taste like sprite if we are being serious lol.
Great media player with music that you buy that never belongs to you. I like my bootleg music to be mine LOL

The one that I was looking at was around $400 bc it has mirror capability, which is basically what im really looking for, but I was reading you need new amps and bypasses and other stuff. which will be around $2000 over where I live, well at least the shop that gave me the quote. I can build you a full race motor, tune your motor and suspensions, but when it comes to electrical stuff I have no clue and its where they smell the weak in me, so i know they are going to want extra $$$$$$ lol

Like I said, if i can avoid a double din I will, its just to me a double din on these cars looks so ugly, i like the way the OEM command flows with the interior.

sadly the previous owners of my car never got the bluetooth puck option :/ or else I would of jsut bought something like gateway or VISEEO puck. I asked mercedes if they can add the whole bluetooth system to my car and they said they dont even sell it anymore :/ so Im left with getting a GROM kit, or the motorola roadster 2 ( which I did), but the static on FM mode just kills it for me so bad so im going to return it.

I like the Mobridge thing you posted, but I cant find where to buy it. So im left with the GROM path http://gromaudio.com/store/most_adap..._optional.html

I honestly dont plan on keeping this car for over a year lol. Ive only had it for about 4-5 months, I originally wanted a w221 but this one has basically a lot of options I was looking for in the past, and the price I couldnt pass up
But I hate listening to the radio stations so I have to get a bluetooth thing to stream pandora at least lol
Ha! Guess it's been awhile since you were an Apple beta tester. They did away with DRM on their stuff a decade ago. You can load up any digital files on it including the MP3s you downloaded from the sketchy Russian site. You can also take stuff you bought from ITunes and do whatever you'd want to do with it like any other unprotected music file.

Agree the DD kills the vibe in the 220 interior. Also, because the system is fiber optic back to the amp in the trunk there's no way to pick up the low voltage signal you need for aftermarket amps. Then the speakers aren't standard 4ohm and need to go. It's a nightmare. Total gut job.

Anyway that Grom piece should do the trick. Looks like the same premise as the MoBridge. So the 220 didn't ship with a BT phone. I had an 05 as well. Some did come with that specialized Nokia cradle that accepted a specific Nokia phone model. Then you could buy an MB BT adapter thingie that snapped in where the Nokia went. Both of my 220s had it, but maybe it was optional.

If you're doing the Grom I guess it won't matter. Install is a little complex if electronics aren't your thing. I'd see if they have a Pdf you can download with instructions before you buy the thing because I'm guessing there's zero tech support.

My struggles (which I eventually won) to get decent sound out of my 221 are legendary. Check out the link in my sig.

Last edited by Mike5215; 09-05-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:49 PM

2005 S500

Agree the DD kills the vibe in the 220 interior. Also, because the system is fiber optic back to the amp in the trunk there's no way to pick up the low voltage signal you need for aftermarket amps. Then the speakers aren't standard 4ohm and need to go. It's a nightmare. Total gut job.

Anyway that Grom piece should do the trick. Looks like the same premise as the MoBridge. So the 220 didn't ship with a BT phone. I had an 05 as well. Some did come with that specialized Nokia cradle that accepted a specific Nokia phone model. Then you could buy an MB BT adapter thingie that snapped in where the Nokia went. Both of my 220s had it, but maybe it was optional.

If you're doing the Grom I guess it won't matter. Install is a little complex if electronics aren't your thing. I'd see if they have a Pdf you can download with instructions before you buy the thing because I'm guessing there's zero tech support.

My struggles (which I eventually won) to get decent sound out of my 221 are legendary. Check out the link in my sig.
whats wrong with sketchy russian ukranian sites? -_- LOL.
I met (thru email) a prince from nigeria and he was cool even tryd to send me his fortune if I gave him my bank account number.
I get what you are saying about apple. its just apple doesnt work out for my needs basically.

Thats what I mean, every forum or person I talk to about doing a DD in these cars, thats what they tell me its a full gut job, and even then they start to run into electrical issues :/
If I could just stream music via pandora, mp3, soundcloud ill be happy and if I can use the steering controls I will be happy

see no puck.

unless it has a premade hardness somewhere in the car and I can just add something to it :/
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
whats wrong with sketchy russian ukranian sites? -_- LOL.
I met (thru email) a prince from nigeria and he was cool even tryd to send me his fortune if I gave him my bank account number.
I get what you are saying about apple. its just apple doesnt work out for my needs basically.

Thats what I mean, every forum or person I talk to about doing a DD in these cars, thats what they tell me its a full gut job, and even then they start to run into electrical issues :/
If I could just stream music via pandora, mp3, soundcloud ill be happy and if I can use the steering controls I will be happy

see no puck.

unless it has a premade hardness somewhere in the car and I can just add something to it :/
Well cheer up. The 221 07-09 has no standard Aux In or iPod control. The 2010+ still didn't come with BT audio. And nobody makes anything like the Grom or Mobridge for the 221. Plus the system sounds like crap. I spent $5k getting it where I wanted it. Kept COMAND, bypassed the factory amp with an Audison Prima DSP amp and replaced half the speakers. Sounds good now though.

Your 05 doesn't have a cassette player right? My 04 had one, hidden in the top. When you loaded a cassette the screen motored down out of the way, like it motors up for the CD slot. I had the car for a year before I realized it had it. When you hit the load button, two arrows would appear on the soft keys on the right side. Up for cassette, down for CD. They make a BT cassette shell adapter that would be perfect.

Otherwise go with a MOST module. It's the cleanest install and the best sounding solution.

Last edited by Mike5215; 09-05-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:50 PM

2005 S500
nope mine didnt come with cassette unlessI have to james bond some kind of buttons to find it lol.
Ill just order the GROM kit it seems like the best option, in effort to cheap out I guess it didnt work out so well lol.

word of advise anybody that see this thread and thinks those FM transmitters are a cheap solution. They are NOT! the static gets really annoying, I thought I could cope with it, but nope lol.
The motorola Roadster 2 is great for calls, but as far as the FM transmitter, it is not.
I only bought it bc of the price and I know I can return it lol which I did the day after lol
Old 09-07-2015, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I think the 2004-2006 does have a cassette behind the screen , it's motorized to open

Someone who owns one of these model years can confirm
Old 09-07-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I think the 2004-2006 does have a cassette behind the screen , it's motorized to open

Someone who owns one of these model years can confirm
I have a 2004 (Canadian model) and it does have the cassette. I didn't think the command changed between 2004 - 2006 either so believe both do have the cassette, but could be wrong. I purchased my 2004 when it 18 months old and there was a 2006 on the showroom floor that was exactly the same, you couldn't tell the two cars apart in any way.

James
Old 09-07-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by mcguirja
I have a 2004 (Canadian model) and it does have the cassette. I didn't think the command changed between 2004 - 2006 either so believe both do have the cassette, but could be wrong. I purchased my 2004 when it 18 months old and there was a 2006 on the showroom floor that was exactly the same, you couldn't tell the two cars apart in any way.

James
Then this is your friend:

$25 at Best Buy

It's not a "perfect" solution but compared to the cost of an integration module from Grom or MoBridge it's worth the extra hassle. That is that it contains a battery that needs either to be permanently connected to power in the car, or ejected every few days to be recharged.

Permanent power is doable with some minor surgery. You need to remove COMAND (6 #20 Torx Screws), then remove the top cover of COMAND and run the micro USB power cable up and back so the cassette mechanism can "swallow" the cassette while its attached to the power cable and still close. It'll make sense the minute you see it. Route the cable back out into the cabin to a 12v receptacle.

You'll have phone and streaming BT audio once paired. Sound quality is very good, however between tracks you may hear some hiss. The cassette playback head is relatively "hot" impedance wise so you'll get the sense the Bose is more powerful for music. Engaging Dolby noise reduction can kill any hiss but will cut treble as well.

You may also hear the sound of the cassette players motor working.

Last edited by Mike5215; 09-07-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 s500, 2012 c300
nav update

below dealer price on ebay issue 13
Old 12-19-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
06' W220 4MATIC (sold) 08'ml63 AMG
I have a 06' S500. A few things to remember is that the whole audio/Video/Tele system in these cars is fiber optic linked. Going to the aftermarket radio can be a major redesign if you can not tie in to the fiber optic ring. Replacing factory components with used from eBay may be the simple way to go and is what I did when I wanted to get the Sirius Radio working. As for BT, The 06' was not wired for the phone and this was about the time in history when analog/ Digital cell phone tech was changing a lot.
I went with the Dension Gateway 500 Bluetooh/ Aux adaptor. It is expensive, but if you are looking at laying out a bunch of money for a new system and amp, it is a option to look into. Also, a direct AUX in will have better audio quality than a BT stream for music.

There is also a more inexpensive versions if you only want to tie in the aux input etc.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Sorry for the dumb question guys. What is BT?

thanks, Nick
Old 12-19-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
06' W220 4MATIC (sold) 08'ml63 AMG
Blue Tooth

Youtube demo on a 2004 W220 S55

Last edited by eldos1; 12-19-2015 at 06:08 PM.