MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   ABC conversion And the dual pump (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/612019-abc-conversion-dual-pump.html)

patrolia1 01-11-2016 07:58 PM

ABC conversion And the dual pump

I had major issues with the ABC system for the third time so I bought the Strutmasters conversion kit and replaced the existing shocks. It worked great for about two weeks then the dual pump,started making noise. I gues we hadn't sealed the leaks on the ABC side properly. I'm not sure who to blame but Strutmasters should be a bit more informative on making sure there is still fluid and no leaks and they weren't.
I now need to replace the pump and the dual pump is very expensive. Anyone have any info on replacing it somehow with just a PS pump like the non ABC models have? It looks like about $3K to replace the dual pump even though I M using only one side.
What an awful design they have here as it appears lots of folks are having issues.
Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated

ItalianJoe1 01-11-2016 11:38 PM

From what i've seen on here before, you can get a regular P/S pump and brackets from a basic S class, and install it in place of the ABC style one with no other issues.

tusabes 01-12-2016 04:46 AM

You can only use a regular ps pump if you have a v8. The v12 does not have a ps-only pump that will fit , except the one from the sl65 black series which is very expensive . You didn't mention if your car is v8 or v12

That being said , you can find the dual tandem abc pump for $300 at rock auto . So it shouldn't cost you $3000 to change . Make sure all the abc lines are properly capped off

mercy-me 01-12-2016 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 (Post 6672917)
From what i've seen on here before, you can get a regular P/S pump and brackets from a basic S class, and install it in place of the ABC style one with no other issues.

I believe ItalianJoe has the correct answer.

Why would you want to continue to maintain any part of the old ABC system now that you have eliminated the true need to do so?? Think about it. The ABC side of the pump is trying to dead head 180-200 Bar pressure all the time that the motor is running. It is generating heat and trying to circulate Pentosin through what is left of the hosing, piping, accumulators, valves etc. The ABC side of the pump and the PS side of the pump are completely independent of each other even using separate reservoirs.

I know that you are trying to keep the costs down but now is the time to look to the future with a permanent solution.

From what I can see, there were 4 PS pump options for the S500...........

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f1d0128bb8.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hP...=w1016-h747-no

The option you want is the upper left one. You should be able to purchase a working setup from your local recyclers brackets and all. I would try to get the serpentine belt included too just to make sure that length was right and then order a new one right away once satisfied on the length.

I don't know what you did with the ABC warning if any. Some kits do supply a module to disable the warning but I think that you could do the same thing with SDS by taking the ABC option out of the system as though it never existed.

Finally, most of us are curious about the success and satisfaction of the coil conversion. It would be very informative if you would kindly share your experience with us. Each time in the past when I have had issues with my Airmatic, the thought of ridding myself permanently of future troubles by doing a conversion always comes to mind. I guess there comes a point when enough is enough.

Good Luck,

Bob

MarkCan 08-23-2019 08:43 AM

Wrong thread, sorry.

Fried Chicken 08-23-2019 11:23 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

You’ve destroyed one of the most amazing cars :’(

Welwynnick 08-23-2019 02:13 PM

Sad but true.

cowboyt 09-02-2019 10:29 PM

I disagree. I've got the Strutmasters coil-over conversion on my S600 as well, and I'm so glad that I did it. The ride remains very nice even with 19" low-profile tires, with good handling, virtually no maintenance headaches, and utter trustworthiness. I've never looked back.

It is possible to re-route the output from the ABC side of the pump directly to the reservoir's input, which will keep the ABC side lubricated and happy. I have done this, and it works really well. Requires a bit of help from the hydraulic shop to re-route the pump's output pipe, which cost me about $110.

For your S500, though, I'd convert to the non-ABC version of the power steering pump. It's just simpler to deal with.

mguerrero 01-26-2020 01:12 AM

I would certainly do the repair - however, I would just shop for the parts and find a good indy shop -- thats what I do for repairs I don't want to do.

njbiker2008 03-22-2020 09:29 AM

15 years old lines will start to leak or just brake yes keeping the oil clean dose go a long way but time will get you..

njbiker2008 03-22-2020 09:41 AM

njbiker2008 03-22-2020 09:46 AM

I seen a line blow it is a mess and may kill you car just drops like a rock. my bud Mark was on I-95 and it let go not good a 15 year old car will get you yes keeping the oil and filter will help but time will get you.