MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   trunk problem with 2006 s430 help! (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/636215-trunk-problem-2006-s430-help.html)

quarkww 08-27-2016 11:33 AM

trunk problem with 2006 s430 help!

Hello

i bought a car from friend. i cant open trunk from fob. when i click the button i heard the click sound and its getting unlock but it doesnt lift up and when i try to lift by myself i need to force alot to open it with hands. also it doesnt stay at the top. when i leave it while open in few seconds its closing again. where might be the problem. actuator or lift supports ?
thanks in advance

tusabes 08-27-2016 01:04 PM

First - do you have the power trunk open and close feature ? Many s430 only have a power trunk opener, only some have the Hyddraulic to both open and close the lid

If you have the power open and close , you need to determine if the pump has fluid
It's located near the battery fill the reservoir with pentosin chf11s

quarkww 08-27-2016 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 6900060)
First - do you have the power trunk open and close feature ? Many s430 only have a power trunk opener, only some have the Hyddraulic to both open and close the lid

If you have the power open and close , you need to determine if the pump has fluid
It's located near the battery fill the reservoir with pentosin chf11s

thanks for the respond.

i think it does have power. because once i click to open trunk i hear something like its trying to open it but its not. so its only unlocking it not even moving. and then im opening it while using alot force.

tusabes 08-28-2016 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
All w220 have a trunk lid that will power unlock with the remote button, or the button on the drivers door

But Only some w220 have a trunk lid that will both power open AND close - these have a hydraulic motor for the trunk lid- that will raise and lower the trunk lid . They also have a red button inside the trunk lid to close it using power. Do you have this button inside your trunk lid ?

Attachment 366154

If you have that button on the lid and you hear a motor noise like something is trying to work, your pump is likely out of fluid The hydraulic pump for the trunk lid is next to the battery . It is probably out of hydraulic fluid, the red arrow in this picture shows the fluid reservoir

Attachment 366155

quarkww 08-29-2016 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 6900896)
All w220 have a trunk lid that will power unlock with the remote button, or the button on the drivers door

But Only some w220 have a trunk lid that will both power open AND close - these have a hydraulic motor for the trunk lid- that will raise and lower the trunk lid . They also have a red button inside the trunk lid to close it using power. Do you have this button inside your trunk lid ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psqgrwuvdv.png

If you have that button on the lid and you hear a motor noise like something is trying to work, your pump is likely out of fluid The hydraulic pump for the trunk lid is next to the battery . It is probably out of hydraulic fluid, the red arrow in this picture shows the fluid reservoir

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pser58qt3g.png

i got that button on the door near to bottom. so once i push that i hear the click sound from trunk but nothing happens. its like trying to open but it doesnt.

quarkww 08-29-2016 06:19 PM

btw trunk support lifts also doesnt work well.i barely open the trunk and im using alot of force to opening it and supports doesnt keep it tight. so it goes down again in few seconds. do i need to change lift supports or hydraulic fluid or both :)

tusabes 08-29-2016 06:50 PM

Everyone has the button on the door - even cars with just power trunk unlock

Do you have the red button on the inside of the trunk lid ?

remove the right side trunk panel and add hydraulic fluid where the red arrow shows

You will need to add hydraulic fluid to make the trunk motor work

And you will need to replace the gas lift support struts if they are not holding the lid up

doni01 08-29-2016 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by quarkww (Post 6901889)
btw trunk support lifts also doesnt work well.i barely open the trunk and im using alot of force to opening it and supports doesnt keep it tight. so it goes down again in few seconds. do i need to change lift supports or hydraulic fluid or both :)

From what you are explaining, you definitely need the shocks. They are cheap from the dealer. Replace those first and then see if the problem persists and take it from there.

wallyp 08-30-2016 07:57 AM

I don't have the power lift, so don't know what they have - but my S430 doesn't have "shocks", just springs.

tusabes 08-31-2016 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by wallyp (Post 6902368)
I don't have the power lift, so don't know what they have - but my S430 doesn't have "shocks", just springs.

Right, the cars that don't have the powered lift up/down lid use springs instead of gas struts

The powered lids use gas struts as well as the hydraulic lift/lower motor

ibeforreal 08-31-2016 07:37 PM

It literally takes less than 10 minutes to replace the trunk shocks. Use the Pentosin fluid in the hydraulic pump.

quarkww 09-09-2016 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 6901910)
Everyone has the button on the door - even cars with just power trunk unlock

Do you have the red button on the inside of the trunk lid ?

remove the right side trunk panel and add hydraulic fluid where the red arrow shows

You will need to add hydraulic fluid to make the trunk motor work

And you will need to replace the gas lift support struts if they are not holding the lid up

yes it has that button inside the trunk lid for closing trunk automatic but also it doesnt. btw i changed struts so far. it lifts without forcing much with hands. and i also give it to benz service they said 2207500185 needto be change which is actuator. they asked 450$ for it. on ebay there iis 100$ used one. i will get and try to replace myself. so do u still thnik should i change the fluid in hydraulic pump. coz once i see that pump beside the battery. there is still fluid in it.

tusabes 09-09-2016 05:35 PM

If it's full of fluid it should be ok
But if it's just making noise and not lifting the trunk that's the symptom of low fluid

quarkww 09-10-2016 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 6911717)
If it's full of fluid it should be ok
But if it's just making noise and not lifting the trunk that's the symptom of low fluid

so the sound comes from trunk actuator
not from the hydrualic pump. and there is less than a half fluid in there. should i fill it till full ?

tusabes 09-11-2016 02:17 PM

Yes fill it

eldos1 09-11-2016 05:44 PM

MY 06 S500 had a problem and it was that the hinges needed to be greased up. It started to open slow and one side of the trunk lid when closed was slightly misaligned. I used some white lithium/ Firearms grease I had. It had a small tip and could work it down into the hinges. Runs smooth now.

quarkww 09-12-2016 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 6912865)
Yes fill it

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a24aee32d7.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b2cbbfebdc.jpg

there is a hose that not attached somewhere. is it normal
and i will fill that today

quarkww 09-12-2016 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 6912865)
Yes fill it

filled up nothing changed

DrDoe 09-14-2016 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by quarkww
filled up nothing changed

Is your pump working? I.e. Do you see the strut moving if you manually apply 12V to the pump?
I had these exact symptoms You can search the threads for trouble shooting steps and solution

DrDoe 09-14-2016 12:33 PM

yes it has that button inside the trunk lid for closing trunk automatic but also it doesnt. btw i changed struts so far. it lifts without forcing much with hands. and i also give it to benz service they said 2207500185 needto be change which is actuator. they asked 450$ for it. on ebay there iis 100$ used one. i will get and try to replace myself. so do u still thnik should i change the fluid in hydraulic pump. coz once i see that pump beside the battery. there is still fluid in it.

Also I'm not sure if your Benz service diagnosed it correctly. Actuator is for lock/unlock. It won't raise or lower your trunk lid.

quarkww 09-14-2016 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DrDoe (Post 6915305)
Also I'm not sure if your Benz service diagnosed it correctly. Actuator is for lock/unlock. It won't raise or lower your trunk lid.

i replaced actuator nothing changed. so do u think the problem is hydraulic pump ?

DrDoe 09-14-2016 04:28 PM

i replaced actuator nothing changed. so do u think the problem is hydraulic pump ?

That's what I thought on the actuator.
Not necessary the hydraulic pump but first you need to give 12V to the hydraulic pump to see if there's any mechanical movement.

DrDoe 09-15-2016 10:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
quarkww, i found some old images here. You can disconnect the connector as pictured and give 12v to the plug with brown/white wire.
If the pump is working then the horizontal strut should move.
The relays in the 2nd picture is another component of raising/lowering function.

quarkww 09-17-2016 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by DrDoe (Post 6916799)
quarkww, i found some old images here. You can disconnect the connector as pictured and give 12v to the plug with brown/white wire.
If the pump is working then the horizontal strut should move.
The relays in the 2nd picture is another component of raising/lowering function.

is there anything wrong wtih them. coz some of the cars ihave seen on youtube that they have different type struts. where is the part that will lift the trunk up
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6a41d02a7a.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...68ba4b3841.jpg

DrDoe 09-17-2016 08:29 PM

Those struts are for holding the lid from gravity. Those are not for raising/closing lids. You need to remove the trunk passenger carpet piece to access the power horizontal strut.