S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Keyless Go Chip Cards! Parts Availability!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Keyless Go Chip Cards! Parts Availability!

Hi,
Got an interesting and complicated dilemma... Who remembers the CL and Sclass chip cards?!
I sure do from back in the day!
Anyway, got a new car. No chip card with it... Option is there though (engine start button on shifter and L/UL button on door handles.) Also, msg on dash saying Chip Card not present or similar. Brand new style chrome key (the newest version of it.)
Keyless Go of course doesnt work....

Called dealer to order a new Chip card! Should be no big deal.....
They dont make the cards anymore!! Actually, called 4 dealers across my 3 states!
Same answer. No cards. Told me I was SOL basically... Lol... WTF ??

Though I know you cannot with Keys, as programmed in TX for the cars - I thought I could maybe order a used Chip card from Ebay. Asked if it could be reprogrammed, to which I was told NO...

I then asked if I could order a brand new key, and have it programmed to work with KG. The answer was NO....

Apparently Keyless Go just will never work in this car again...
So my final thought - if Star computer can disable KG feature, removing stupid dash msg reminding me of Missing Chip card... does anyone know??? They said they will investigate if I bring the car in...

Any other ideas for me????? Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 528i, '05 E320, '05 Jag XJ8L, '04 CLK500, '03 S600, '92 Jeep Briarwood, '79 Rolls Royce
I know for a fact that they have them here in SoCal. I have ordered plenty of them. Any of the dealers here wouldn't touch a card from eBay with a 10 foot pole.

I might be able to broker the deal for you, or you can call and see about faxing them your ID & Title (or registration) to order the key and have it mailed to you. MB is finicky with key orders and mail though.

I'm willing to help you out if you need it, but try giving Mercedes of Anaheim or Fletcher Jones a call.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 W204, 2014 W212, 2015 W222, 07 SAAB 9-3, 2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Zach8131
I know for a fact that they have them here in SoCal. I have ordered plenty of them. Any of the dealers here wouldn't touch a card from eBay with a 10 foot pole.

I might be able to broker the deal for you, or you can call and see about faxing them your ID & Title (or registration) to order the key and have it mailed to you. MB is finicky with key orders and mail though.

I'm willing to help you out if you need it, but try giving Mercedes of Anaheim or Fletcher Jones a call.
I am in SoCal and when I order a new key for my 05 S600, the Penske Mercedes ask me bring my car, ID and registration and took about 30 mins to give me the new key, the parts guy actually check my car with the new key and make sure it works fine !!
Old 11-09-2016, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zach8131

Wow, that's awesome!! Thanks very much for the information Zach! Much appreciated! I will give both dealers a buzz and investigate availability and pricing.
I'll let you know if I could use any help with the matter - truly appreciate the offer!!
Thanks again for the suggestion and your help my friend!
Be well !
Old 12-30-2016, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have accomplished this!!
Replaced the Keyless Go module in trunk myself, with a 2004-2005 model one.
Force-Ordered black plastic KG key (jnash specified part number), for this VIN.
Had KG key reprogrammed with DAS into one of the two available KG key tracks on these cars (newer cars aren't limited to only two slots, but older cars are.)
Andddd..... Works fine now!!
There you all have it. Just done, in Dec of 16.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:24 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I did exactly the same thing with my 2003 SL (came with chip card). Force-ordered a keyless go key and replaced KG module with a 2004 unit.

The key (no pun intended!) is to MAKE the dealer order you the key. They will tell you it isn't the correct part #. Tell them no problem, you know that.

Mine made me sign something saying if the key doesn't work it's not their problem. I think keys are non-returnable anyhow, but they didn't know what I was up to and could only confirm it would be programmed for my VIN and not that it would be guaranteed to work.

Worked fine!

Get a used KG module from a newer car on eBay/wrecking yard and order a new key. Those chip cars were useless anyhow.. the manual tells you to keep a key in your pocket at all times in case the chip card fails.. how reassuring is that!
Old 01-05-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600 and cl600
Hey guys, I'm having this same dilemma with my 2003 CL600. No cards came with the car when I purchased it, but it does have KG.

How do I determine which part# key I need if I'm going with the newer style key and used module from newer car? Also, what do you mean by force ordered?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:36 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
By 'force ordered' we mean your dealer will have a standard part # in mind, but you are forcing them to order a different part #.

Here's what I did: Sign up for mercedes EPC (parts catalog) subscription. Find a 2004 CL600 on eBay or somewhere that has keyless go.

Look up the part #'s for a key and a keyless go module for your car. Then do the same for 2004.

If you have two different key #'s and two different keyless go #'s, you're all set. Find the newer keyless go module somewhere (and install) and order the newer key part #.

The parts catalog will have identifiers on the 2004 module to say "with Keyless GO" if there are more than one module. Find the closest thing to your module (same options on your car) and then select the "with" keyless one rather than the "without. For my SL I think all the 2004 modules were "with" and there wasn't any other option.

I believe you need DAS/STAR to code the new module and wipe out the keys programmed to it.

Remember all this module does is talk to the key for keyless go purposes. The coding of the key to the car is done elsewhere (ignition switch modules, etc.). This module just hears messages on the network about keyless go signals (from the door handles, buttons) and knows what to tell other modules when it hears these specific signals (unlock doors, start engine, etc.)
The following users liked this post:
cottonyzf (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600 and cl600
Originally Posted by bha
By 'force ordered' we mean your dealer will have a standard part # in mind, but you are forcing them to order a different part #.

Here's what I did: Sign up for mercedes EPC (parts catalog) subscription. Find a 2004 CL600 on eBay or somewhere that has keyless go.

Look up the part #'s for a key and a keyless go module for your car. Then do the same for 2004.

If you have two different key #'s and two different keyless go #'s, you're all set. Find the newer keyless go module somewhere (and install) and order the newer key part #.

The parts catalog will have identifiers on the 2004 module to say "with Keyless GO" if there are more than one module. Find the closest thing to your module (same options on your car) and then select the "with" keyless one rather than the "without. For my SL I think all the 2004 modules were "with" and there wasn't any other option.

I believe you need DAS/STAR to code the new module and wipe out the keys programmed to it.

Remember all this module does is talk to the key for keyless go purposes. The coding of the key to the car is done elsewhere (ignition switch modules, etc.). This module just hears messages on the network about keyless go signals (from the door handles, buttons) and knows what to tell other modules when it hears these specific signals (unlock doors, start engine, etc.)
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I have a star system, so can cover than part.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cottonyzf
Hey guys, I'm having this same dilemma with my 2003 CL600. No cards came with the car when I purchased it, but it does have KG.

How do I determine which part# key I need if I'm going with the newer style key and used module from newer car? Also, what do you mean by force ordered?

You don't get the "newer style key."
Black plastic key.
bha got it correct
Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cottonyzf
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I have a star system, so can cover than part.
Excellent.
Search MY started topics - I posted this thread in a couple sections.
Member pmercury provided the KG module part number (its an easy install! In trunk. And im not handy at all!) and member jnash provided the key part number. Both in my topics.
There is a module right now on ebay (there was, recently.)
There you go my friend. Easy peasy.
Good luck & cheers!